Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Periodic Contributor

There is conflicting information about this.

Social Security says people on SSDI should have already received their check and gives link to non filers site.

IRS says Social security recipients should no use it.

* I did as told by Social Security and was approved by IRS on non filers form.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

The link to non filers is for SS/SSDI recipients who HAVE a qualifying child and want to get the $500 stimulus for that child. In the column for SS/SSDI who began receiving benefits prior to Jan. 2020, who filed no taxes in '18 or '19 and have no qualifying child, there is no link to the non filers tool. That link is listed for beneficiaries who answer YES for having at least one qualifying child. Yes, it does say beneficiaries with no children and who filed no taxes should have received your payment at the end of April. But the SSA isn't the one sending those payments. And I think everyone here knows we "should have" received our payments at the end of April. That's why we're here, because we didn't.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It's totally out of control, these type of things is what happens after telling lies.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@pm4342wrote

There is conflicting information about this.

Social Security says people on SSDI should have already received their check and gives link to non filers site.

IRS says Social security recipients should no use it.

* I did as told by Social Security and was approved by IRS on non filers form.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The NON-filer IRS tool was for the benefit of those people who did not or did not have to file a tax return for 2018 / 2019 and received government benefits - the purpose of it was so that those people who had eligible dependents could claim the $ 500 per dependent stimulus money. 

IOW, $ 1200 + $500 (per eligible dependent).

This was specifically useful for beneficiaries of Social Security (SS, SSDI), VA benefits, and SSI beneficiaries who get their regular benefits through Direct Deposit or Direct Express Card because the IRS would add this eligible dependent stimulus ($500 per)  to their stimulus ($ 1200).

If you did not fall into this category, you messed up filing on the NON-filer form cause now they have to check and recheck.  You might even get your money via a check sometimes later on.

Never listen to just somebody in government to tell you what to do - have somebody help you understand it or read and read and understand it yourself.  In this fiasco, you would have had to keep up with your reading since things changed early on when they were trying to figure out the best, easiest and fastest way to get the most their money.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

So, as a direct deposit Social Security retiree, I should NOT have filled out the Non Filers form? It said if my income was below 12,000, I needed to fill it out...Is that why Get My Payment has Status Unavailable? The Non filers form page still says my form was accepted but I still have no projected direct deposit or payment date showing. I filled out the form on 4/28/2020.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't know what to think at this point because we, non-filers with no children were to clearly that NO action is required and told not to use the non filers app .. wait a minute .. non-filers, don't use the non filers tool... then who is supposed to use the non filers tool if not the non filers ?? LoL
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm following the instructions as given on the ssa.gov/coronavirus updated PDF link since they say that SSDI recipients should have already received their checks.

It conflicts with IRS information but they haven't given out reliable dates thus far....(making what Social Security is saying very believable)...

and if there is a delay or if I have to wait for a check that is ok for me.

I am logically following every word that is written on the 7 page PDF form.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Go to ssa.gov/coronavirus and follow link to their 7 page updated PDF.

Look at chart on page 2 to follow links to whatever category you fall under.

* I have found some conflicting information between what Social Security and IRS says:

Example: Social Security says people on SSDI should have already received their checks and gives link to non filers form.

BUT on the IRS non filers form it says not to use it if you are on SSDI etc.

I used it and was approved.

You can always do nothing and if you have a problem later on you can consider using it then.

Or subscribe to updates on

ssa.gov/ coronavirus

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@pm4342wrote

Go to ssa.gov/coronavirus and follow link to their 7 page updated PDF.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You aren't reading the whole paragraph on that page 7 -  It says and I am copying and pasting directly but using red for accentuation.

Social Security beneficiaries and SSI recipients in this category may use the IRS' Non-Filer: Enter Payment Info Here tool to receive their own $1,200 payment and $500 payment for qualifying children. You may only enter non-Direct Express bank account information for direct deposit, or leave bank information empty to receive a paper check by mail

The NON-Filer tool is only to give the IRS this eligible dependent info - 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@pm4342wrote

* I have found some conflicting information between what Social Security and IRS says:

Example: Social Security says people on SSDI should have already received their checks and gives link to non filers form.

That's what I mean when I say that some people don't know which they are receiving - SSDI or SSI or some of both - it happens a lot on this Social Security board. 

This is what the Social Security Admin. posted today:

SSA - May 07, 2020 - Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Recipients – Steps to Take...  (picture is below of their chart)

Screenshot_2020-05-07 Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Recipients – Steps to Take and Schedule of Payme[...].png

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, but on ssa.gov/coronavirus it says that people with SSDI should have already received their check.

So I used the link in the PDF as suggested for a person in my category SSDI non filer for 2018/19 and used the non filer form and was approved.

You can always do nothing and wait and if there is a problem you can do this then.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@pm4342wrote

The updated PDF gave a link to the non filers tool as suggested for SSDI/social security recipients who did not file taxes.

I used it and was approved.

No dependents.

That was probably earlier in April - the NON-filer IRS tool closed for SS,SSDI, RRB beneficiaries to add any eligible dependent to their payment on April 22, 2020.

The NON-filer IRS tool stayed opened for SSI and VA beneficiaries until May 05, 2020 - it is also now closed.

Social Security Admin.gov - MAY 07, 2020 - Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Reci... 

This most recent detailed update from the IRS gives lots of different individual-type scenarios - most people should find their situation covered somewhere in all of these various scenarios.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

the page has said all along , that ssi, non filers that have their SS/SSI Direct deposit; need to do nothing. It says they already have pertinent information on file .

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@w647806rwrote

the page has said all along , that ssi, non filers that have their SS/SSI Direct deposit; need to do nothing. It says they already have pertinent information on file .

Your "strikethough" is on - un-click it.

As long as they (non-tax filing SSI beneficiaries) didn't need to add any eligible dependents to their payment, that's right, do nothing - nothing to do.  EXCEPT wait your turn in the queque.  The IRS gave people in all the non-filing different groups a chance to add any eligible dependents in the NON-filing IRS tool.

They gave different deadlines for this info to be entered by the various non-filers.  When they closed the different deadlines - payments for that whole group were processed.

The IRS NON-Filer tool closed for SSI beneficiaries on May 05, 2020. They will upload all this info so that people in this group get the right amount and then begin to process the payments in whatever method they normally get their benefits.

The IRS GET MY PAYMENT too is just an IRS site that will give you the specifics of your payment amount, when it is being sent and how it is being sent - Direct Deposit, Direct Express Card or a Check mailed.  Your infor at this GET MY PAYMENT site won't say it is available until the IRS has processed the payments for SSI beneficiaries - after they have uploaded all the added eligible dependents that SSI people claimed before May 05, 2020 (the day the NON-filer window closed for SSi beneficiaries.

Check the GET MY PAYMENT IRS site next week - the IRS estimated these SSI payments to be out by mid-May or before.  The GET MY PAYMENT site ask for your SS#, Street Address, zip code and then it tell you about your payment once this group (SSI) has been processed and the info is available.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It's an updated page so not everything is as it was all along.

On sea.gov/coronavirus it says that people on SSDI etc (not referring to SSI) should have already received their checks by now.

So I did as suggested on page 7 of the PDF according to my situation as a SSDI non filer for 2018/19, and the IRS approved my form.

What you need to do depends on your SPECIFIC circumstances.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

copy and paste from ssa.gov/coronavirus:

You can use this guide to quickly and easily determine whether you need to take any action to receive your economic impact payment, or a payment for your qualifying child. The document also explains when the Internal Revenue Service, not the Social Security Administration, will issue the payment

*Please make sure that you read everything carefully as to what they suggest to do.

Regular Contributor

I've looked at the guide that you have flagged for us.  Its a re-statement of an earlier one that has been on the SSA website for awhile.  I followed precisely the information to where I should find my answer.  The information was for people who began receiving SS before January1 2020, have not filed a return for 2018 or 2019 and have no children.  According to what it says, I need to do nothing and that I received my payment at the end of April.  I have not received any payment into my account, so its really no help at all but simply a restatement of poor and inaccurate information in the first place.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am disabled , in my 50’s. I have been on SSI for many years . I have had no need to file taxes . My checks have been direct deposit, for more years than I can remember. So they have all my information in place . To this day , I have received nothing . It seems impossible to find a credible source of information. I can’t tell if I fell between the cracks , or just was not included in the first 2 rounds. Any input from the community, would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@w647806r 

SSA - May 07, 2020 - Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Recipients - Steps to Take... 

Since the IRS window for SSI beneficiaries to add any eligible dependents to their payment amount just closed on May 05, 2020 - as a SSI beneficiary, with direct deposit, you should be able to check the GET MY PAYMENT IRS tool next week, probably early next week, to see when your payment is going to post - the info will be posted as soon as the IRS is scheduling payment for this group (SSI).  You should get it by mid-May or before.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I'm a little angry, a little frustrated and a little upset. But when it comes right down to it my joy isn't wrapped up in what the government can do for me. Yes we need our benefits. However I'm not going to let them frustrate me without end. I hope that I get it. If I don't then I'll move on with my life just as I did before there was even any talk of stimulus payments. It gets rough sometimes but trusting in God is where true Joy and benefit is. Take care and hang in there everybody.

Trusted Contributor

I understand people being angry and upset about not getting their stimulus monies via DD or checks by now. I would probably be incensed myself. I waited 3 weeks before I could even use the tool: Get My Payment. Then all of a sudden early on Apr. 26th it stated I would get my DD on the 29th. I knew of half a dozen others that got that same message and all got their DD on that date. I believe that millions of them went through on the 29th and 30th of April. Now lets talk about reality. I doubt it will console you but these are the facts. 180+ million different persons are to get this stimulus money. If you were to deal with 180 Million of anything, reporting, carrying out deliveries on a time frame with humans doing the work you probably can expect 1-3% errors of some kind. Which means there is up to 5 million just for errors of some sort. Let's go over them.

1. DD numbers misread and could not be sent to your bank whether its your fault or the IRS. Now get a check instead

2. DD was changed to another bank. Bank refused

3. You have changed addresses 3 times in the past 3 years could cause problems. Now check goes to wrong address resent back to IRS do try and figure out what your real address might be. 

4. Now I am going to add 14 million to the figure because that is how many Americans do not have bank accounts. Reasons are usually in the past they had so many bad checks, over limited funds they can not even get into a bank. So where does this leave them? Probably getting a check way down the line. 

5. Someone has either stolen your Identity and having the check routed to them or mail fraud which there is going to be thousands. 

There are probably 100 reasons that I do not have the time to go into. I am sure none of them are the ones that are causing you not to receive your monies. It's not personal, its a mistake or error which is bound to happen to anyone. You're in that grey area where it's really hard to answer as to why you got a date and did not receive. The IRS is working with millions and there is no way you can contact them. I feel for you and I would be really upset myself if this were to happen to me. Again it is bound to happen to someone as being millions. So with the mistakes, those not having bank accounts or legit addresses along with number errors either put in by the IRS or people themselves. There is probably no clear cut excuse or why's to each individual problem. At this time you have nothing more to do other then play the unfortunate waiting game. No one is playing with your lives its just a stat of so many mistakes by someone or situation. Not everyone is happy about certain outcomes in life. Some will get today and some tomorrow. That being said some will wait awhile longer. Good luck. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@AlanS702720and @RalphP129199 and others

Of course, there could be any number of reasons why people haven't seen their Economic Impact payment yet.

The last few days, I have encountered several senior on the matter from their own specific situations.  Several of them thought they were on SSDI but when in actuality, they were getting SSI or they are getting a blended benefit from both.  In this case, their Economic Impact payments are still in the works because the IRS window to add dependents for SSI and VA benefits to get added stimulus funds did not close until May 5.

Social Security Administration: Fact Sheet - Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI):... 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Well as well put together you comment was I'm afraid that the majority of what you said is totally off base as far as the numbers go and for the reasons mentioned, while a few may be close to or even correct the amount of the excuses is not even in the ballpark. According to your theory of excuses that you clearly based on grand totals rather then grouped numbers which is the situation here. Here we will speak on just one group, the SSDI recipients, according to the IRS "everyone on SSDI should of received their payments by now" so if we use your numbers applied to this group of SSDI payments, well that would indicate that the IRS and or the persons made a 78% error and we know that, that is not correct but the fact is that the IRS saying that all SSDI payments have been issued but only 69% actually received the money, that means that this error percent alone would be 31%. Do you actually think that is possible that 31% mistake of just the SSDI people alone could be made, really? I for one will never believe that and I will never believe that you will believe that either. (I still can't believe that the IRS was handed this task rather than the SS office)

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Because the SS was not handed the monies and they are basically closed almost to the max except normal every month payments that are already in the system. I do agree that it would have been better. You act like it is some kind of conspiracy against SSDI. So at the end of the disbursements are you saying that 31% are not getting a payment? Or you saying on purpose they are not going to pay them? Both are without fact, period. Who might be giving instructions as to not pay 31% of SSDI? I know there are mistakes made, no question. Someone will get first, someone will get last. Some will not get it when expected and some will get it before and exactly as expected. I know of SSDI that got it the first week. Know why? Because they filed taxes ASAP and had an extremely low income. IRS even stated that ones that filed and early and low income to be first. It's the IRS. There has to be a plan of some sort and you know what the best laid plans are. Some made mistakes and they are bound to happen because they can happen. If I could get everyone's payment on time I would do it in a heartbeat. I can't and neither can anyone else. 180 million then add the % of errors 1000 different ways. Since SSDI is one of the last to get then the error will be greater until all the payments sent out. It all stands to reason. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Okay you say I sound like I think the IRS has "some kind of conspiracy against SSDI", well that's just not true at because many millions of people in all the groups have still yet to receive anything including my parents, both in their 80s, retired and on social security, lived in their house for over 50 years now, both get direct deposit, what's the excuse for them still waiting?

One thing that got lost in the conversation somewhere is that I was initially I was referring to SSDI, non-filers, no dependants, direct deposit and no changes for many years, over 10 for me. Half of these people got their money as half did not, just as nowhere near all the low-income filers didn't get anything yet either, yes their  will be a few errors on both sides of the spectrum but nothing close to what is going on here, this is pure incompetence plain and simple.

While we're saying what one sounds like they are saying, you sound like you work for or worked for the IRS and furthermore, it's more like 140 million not 180 and as of 5/6/20 according to the IRS only a little over 80 million payments have been paid out in both direct deposit and paper checks.

In closing, I'm not here to debate with you because if not for any other reason, you have no facts on any of my concerns and the only thing going on in this conversation is repetitiveness and quite honestly in very boring and not giving anyone any answers. The bottom line is that the IRS received a mission that is way out of reach for them to fulfill successfully, this is clear in the 6 date changes already made and lack of efficiency in getting payments out (not totally their fault) and the concern that they may fail at completing this task.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I receive SS retirement via direct deposit and I do not file taxes. I also live abroad now. Has anyone else from abroad not gotten their stimulus check yet?

Regular Contributor

Hi Brian.  Like you, I receive my SS retirement to my bank account in the United States, but I live in the United Kingdome, Scotland to be precise.  I don't file a tax return because I am not required to and my SS is the only income that I have outside of my UK State Pension which is also tax free.  I've not received my payment, am not appearing on the Get My Payment tool, and even entered my payment information again just to be sure.  Nothing in terms of my information has changed for a number of years, same bank account, 1099 is correct and so is all of the information on the My Social Security website.  I've checked all IRS available information and it clearly says that expats like us definitely receive the payment.  I was born in Michigan, continue to be a US citizen, am not claimed on anyone else's tax return, and meet every requirement for a payment.  I think people like us are just lumped in with everyone else who is being kept waiting.  

Regular Contributor

I'm abroad too.   No payment. I'm thinking my foreign address may not fit into the parameters for the Get My Payment portal. 

(Heading off any questions, the fact that we live abroad does not affect the stimulus payment). 

For your amusement, my husband applied for Brazil's stimulus payment (like $110 US), on a Tuesday.  It showed up in his bank account THE NEXT DAY. And we're talking Brazilian bureaucracy in a country where they're testing 1500 people per million (spoiler:.  That's a terrible number)

Regular Contributor

I live abroad as well.  I don't think it has anything to do with your address.  I have kept my SS going into my bank account in Florida, but no matter what, if your SS is deposited in a foreign account which is common for expats, you still should receive it.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Spoiler
Well I did finally get a paper check.

As to those defending the IRS and SSA, most of your arguments do not hold water.  "Everyone" on SS, SSI, etc. are in an electronic database.  In that database are payment methods, bank data for DD, addresses and also has an electronic database with everyone in the country with a Social Security number.  IRS has an electronic database of everyone in the U.S.  All of this information is worked out with database comparison software.  There are not individuals checking each and every payment.  Some may get "kicked out" for scrutiny or lack of information for review, but by and large everything is digital.

The whole problem from the whole start of the pandemic to the fiasco of the small business relief, the "chaos" that is the stimulus payments, and on and on has just been highlighting how dysfunctional our federal government has become.  Departments are so "compartmentalized" that cooperation between them is nearly impossible.  This was first evidenced back on 9/11 and in reality is still the same if not worse.

BTW, when you do get that money you will want to stash it.  Because of the massive amount of government spending on the situation and thanks to the Great Wealthy and Corporate Tax Gift Act of 2017, the government will be broke and they will come after SS and Medicare as targets to make up the deficit.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP