Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Periodic Contributor

I saw this and thought I should share it. A bunch of people replied to the sender that it worked. Good Luck.

Sorry to be all "I heard this one weird trick from a friend and it really works" BUT, after weeks of not being able to see our status on the IRS website, we tried typing our address in ALL CAPS and it worked and we were able to finally enter our bank account info.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Didn't work for me. It's almost as if the payment tool was saying "tried to slip one by me did you?" I'll show you, Payment Status Still Not Available!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

THANKS

I just did this and it worked and was able to enter my information.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

To use non-filers or not to use non-filers, that is the question. Haven't received my stimulus either and wondering where in the system it is. I don't have children, I didn't file taxes for many years, single, retired, no other income. I have received no letters or emails about when. It still says do not use if you are ss retired. So, are those of us in this situation left in the dark, or do I use non-filer?

Regular Contributor

Hello David.  I am in the same boat.  I looked at the IRS website many times and decided to file my information on the non-filer site anyway.  It was relatively easy, a 2 page form, no specific income information required and not much else.  I got an email back from them saying that the IRS had accepted my information.  My feeling was that now I was sure that they have everything they need.  Now I wonder what a next step would be if it doesn't come shortly.  Its frustrating when most of what you can read online says that it should already be in the bank.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

CAT posted-According to the news I watched tonight the stimulus money for SS recipients by way of direct deposit has not been made---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Got mine Tuesday and neighbor got his Wednesday.Both of us on SS.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You say you got yours on Tuesday.  Did you file a tax return?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Please check out this link.. I just found it online... It's in regards to the stimulus check, retired and those on ssi.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/millions-disabled-elderly-americans-supplemental-191722232.html

Have a blessed evening.

It broke my heart to lose you but you didn't go alone, for part of me went with you the day God took you home!!
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I am eligible for Social Security but I am not drawing benefits yet. But I do file and pay income taxes. For the past two years the IRS has drawn cash from my checking account for taxes due; and Medicare has drawn cash payments for my premiums from the same checking account. So "they" certainly know where my account is!

But, like you, I had to enter my account information yesterday on that IRS "tool" page.

I am surprised I had to do this, but like my Uncle Rit used to say "Big Whoop!"  I mean, it's a big honkin' bureaucracy, stuff slips through the cracks. Big Whoop.

Actually, I'm surprised that retired people on Social Security are getting stimulus checks. We are (in principle) continuing to get Social Security checks every month, no hang-up there, no interruption in our income. We're not losing our jobs, as so many other younger people are. We're not having to shut down our businesses we own (well, I suppose some of us may have to do so, but in such event I believe there are other stimuli programs for this event).

So it seems that the stimulus cash for retirees is not something to assist on a humanitarian level as for a natural disaster...hurricane, etc. but is instead simply handing out dough to spend in order to stimulate the economy (but why? we can't spend it anyway, the stores are closed! lol), with someone else down the road of time having to pick up the tab; maybe my grandkids ("Thanks, grampa!").

I don't know if this is right or not. I myself tend to be a very politically liberal person. But this case of stimulus for retirees who have not "lost" anything in this pandemic? I am not convinced that it is the right thing to do.

I haven't received mine yet but I spent just about that amount of money over the weekend sending donations to food banks and other charities to help them through this time. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

How wonderful and lucky you are to be able to do that. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Fredposted-Actually, I'm surprised that retired people on Social Security are getting stimulus checks. We are (in principle) continuing to get Social Security checks every month, no hang-up there, no interruption in our income.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The way I look at it ,we SS seniors deserve it. Here`s why-I still pay Federal taxes every year even though I receive SS payments.I been paying Taxes since I was 17 years old and glad I`m getting some back. If you look at your 401 K`s and Ira`s lately ,most are down about 25%. If you worked more than 50 years you deserve it. BTW- My wife and I got our $2400 deposited in our checking  acct. Tuesday.

Periodic Contributor

I am single at this age.....I draw social security to supplement my income and I work full time. They take tax's out of my SS check at the end of the year, because I work to live and pay my bills. This is not right  I worked all my life and paid in to SS to use it now when I need it - so I do think I deserve the check, as there are alot of people I know that are getting their check that don't really need it. 

I am working from home for a month now.......getting a bit opionated😉🤔

Susan Sheppard
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@blondie432 

blondie, no problem. Yes, I believe that as a worker you're entitled, what with potential interruption to your employment income. I just don't see, myself, that people drawing Social Security need to receive stimulus funds to make up for ... "something". So this is clearly strictly an economic stimulus. But how will we spend this? we can't really go out and spend it, that'd be difficult.

I think the cash would have been better spent supporting those persons who clearly suffered personal economic damage due to this "natural disaster". Not in "dropping money from a helicopter" to try to stimulate the economy (a description that economists use).

The problem now is not that there was a drop in consumer demand (based on dropping income), which is the main reason for a stimulus. This is driven by the supply side...supplies have been interrupted, the consumer demand is still there. But subsequent to the supply interruptions (eg: toilet paper) many consumers lost wages, lost their jobs in whole or in part. So their income is lost. But this hasn't affected the entire population, so I don't see why the broad-based stimulus is needed. "thanks, grampa!" my grandkids will say as they are paying the tab for this.  :- )

0 Kudos

Do yo realize that most people on SS make less than 1200 a month. That pays for rent, utilities, and everything else. Now with this virus we are having to do virtual Dr. visits that fall under a higher co-pay. So my friend.............speak on what you know. We do need this stimulus as much as the next person.

This is no free money for us....................almost all of us live below poverty level on SS.

WE both receive SS deposits to banking accounts
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

AMEN to that! I'm one senior out of many in that category.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP