Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Spouse and 1/2 my SS

My wife will turn 67 this year. She started collecting her SS at age 62. I started collecting my SS in January of 2018. I was 64, turning 65 in August 2018. I recently read about spouses being able to apply for 1/2 of husband's SS. She is bringing in $636 and I am bringing in $1937 starting this year. Is this something we should check up on? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@bd10428087 wrote:

My wife will turn 67 this year. She started collecting her SS at age 62. I started collecting my SS in January of 2018. I was 64, turning 65 in August 2018. I recently read about spouses being able to apply for 1/2 of husband's SS. She is bringing in $636 and I am bringing in $1937 starting this year. Is this something we should check up on? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bruce

Yes, she should check on it but since she filed for EARLY SS benefits at age 62, her spousal benefit will also be reduced - so the change will not reap her as much as anticipated - once a person files for EARLY benefits on their own record, any other benefit to which they might be eligible will also be reduced.

The only exception to this is the widow benefit and the surviving spouse will received whichever benefit is the greatest - their own or that of their deceased spouse - but not both.

If there is a local SS office close by, make an appointment and they can run the figures for her and she can make the change if the spousal benefit is higher.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Adding to the comment posted by Gail, the widower benefit is only payable if the surviving spouse is Full Retirement Age at the time of death of the spouse.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RobertH489899 wrote:

Adding to the comment posted by Gail, the widower benefit is only payable if the surviving spouse is Full Retirement Age at the time of death of the spouse.

No it is NOT -

A widow(er) can be as young as 60 or even younger if they are disabled or if there is a dependent of the surviving spouse and the deceased spouse.

Before full retirement age, the surviving spouse does get a reduced widow(er) / survivors benefit.

Here is the rules:

SSA - Benefit Planner - For Your Widow or Widower

At the Widow(er)'s Full Retirement Age or even at 70, if they have earned their own benefits during their working career, they can figure out (or SS can figure) which benefit gives them their best return and take that benefit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP