Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Spousal survivor benefits at 70

Hello all. Hope I can get a straight answer here, as zI havent been able to so far. I an d my wife were born in 1953. If I wait until 70 to collect SS will my wife receive her spousal benefits at my death at the 66 yr. level or at the 70 yr. level. I have had 2 answers so far from SS office personel and both were different. Thnaks!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MartinR284655wrote:

Hello all. Hope I can get a straight answer here, as zI havent been able to so far. I an d my wife were born in 1953. If I wait until 70 to collect SS will my wife receive her spousal benefits at my death at the 66 yr. level or at the 70 yr. level. I have had 2 answers so far from SS office personel and both were different. Thnaks!

One of the reason why you might be getting different answers is because of your terminology when asking your question.

Spousal benefits are completely different than Survivors benefits.

She would be eligible for Spousal benefits when you are alive.

She would get Survivors benefits upon your death.

Here is your answer and the place on the SS website where you can read more about it.

Social Security: SURVIVORS Planner: How Much Would Your Benefit Be?

It says this:

The maximum survivors benefit amount is limited to what they would receive if they were still alive

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

(I am only quoting the one that seems the best fit )

Widow or widower, full retirement age or olderโ€”100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;

So there are (2) ages that are important here 

1.  The age when the deceased beneficiaries dies because that determines their benefit amount, regardless of whether or not they have filed for benefits at that time.

2.  The age of the widow at the death of the deceased beneficiary or when the widow files for Survivors benefits.

So if the widow is full retirement age or older and the beneficiary was age 70 or older when death occurred and they were getting the delayed higher benefit because they filed at 70 or even had not filed yet, the widow would get 100% of the delayed higher benefit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

Thanks you very much, that was really helpful!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Have you visited the Social Security web site? 

https://www.ssa.gov/

Have you created an account? Check out Answers.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I have but I may have missed that questions being addressed? Yes I am registered here. Can you tell me where the ANSWERS page i\s?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@MartinR284655  When you open the Social Security website you will see Answers on the right, the question mark in what looks like a cloud icon. See image below.

AARPSSAnswers.JPG

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP