Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Spousal benefits

My wife filed for benefits at her full retirement age.  I will file shortly  at age 70 for mine.  Her benefit is quite a bit less than what mine will be.  Will she get 50% of what I will receive at 70 or 50% of what I would have received at my full retirement age?

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Please remember the guidelines:

Understand the limits of advice on this site

The content shared in this community is for informational purposes only. Nothing on this site should ever replace or substitute advice from professionals, particularly in licensed or certified fields such as medicine, pharmacology, law, tax, insurance, real estate, among others. Contributors to this community do not know your unique circumstances and are providing general knowledge only.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Honored Social Butterfly

Contact a local expert for the correct answer. If you do not know one call your local AARP Office as they can steer you in the right direction. Never take advice from people you know nothing about as that is a path way to disaster.

Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 

My answer came directly from AARP.org - gave a link and a direct quote from the AARP.org webpage -   Could have given the same answer from the SSA.gov website.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

No it did not come from AARP.  Books and regs do not always tell the full story.  Local experts know how to do that you and I do not.

Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

No it did not come from AARP.  Books and regs do not always tell the full story.  Local experts know how to do that you and I do not.

I don't see how you say that Gail's information "did not come from AARP". The link she provided in her first post definitely goes to an AARP article. 

It's also astonishing to me that you say that "regs" -- I assume you mean the actual government regulations -- do not always tell the full story. I think that these do tell the story.

There is certainly room for context and discussion of the implications of the "regs" and that is what Gail often provides as well, with a full discussion not just her unsubstantiated opinion.

What does "local" mean anyway? Personally, I consider @GailL1 to be one of several "local experts" on the AARP forums, with "local" being local to my own community of both geographic and virtual milieus.

Gail may not be expert in all fields, so I would take that into account myself when reading her replies, depending upon which forum. Is she an expert in the "Rock n' Roll" forum? the "Bingo" forum? I don't know. But for my purposes she has journeyman's status in these Social Security and Medicare issues.

I have observed the depth of her research into issues related to Social Security, Medicare, and health insurance issues over the past years and I am deeply impressed. She must spend dozens of hours every week (unpaid!) researching these issues and crafting thoughtful replies to posters who ask about them.

She provides documentation for her replies, providing information from AARP and other publications, as well as directly from the government sources for Social Security and Medicare. Her technical replies on these issues are totally transparent, she provides the information for any reader to go to the source and investigate the issue themselves. What Gail provides in these posts are not her opinions but actual fact based on research into the issue. (She does produce other posts with seemingly her opinions on issues but those are clearly indicated in my experience).

You direct people to go visit a local expert. Sometimes it is indeed necessary to actually pay someone for consultation. But before doing so it also behooves people to investigate on their own first, educating themselves on the matter. And one of these ways...in this modern world...is by reading forums and asking questions on them. They rather take the place of older newspaper columns and asking around one's circle of friends and acquaintances.

Certainly you have to consider the viability of the information that you read on the internet...need I mention the Q-anon? I have viewed over the years a number of sites that I think were clearly posted by someone with schizophrenia, their grasp on reality was so tenuous. Would I accept information from someone like that? Likely not. But if they provided links to actual Social Security rules...maybe I would!

Is Gail infallible? No, I know she has made some technical errors in replies and she and I have actually discussed some. Generally these are due to changes in SS rules or deal with such arcane issues that it is easy to get tripped up. But she always corrects herself and posts additional explanation on the issue.

I consider @GailL1 to be a tremendous resource for AARP forum members. And she does this for free. People who come through here and ask a single question, get her in-depth reply, and then move on, never to be seen again, have little idea of how worthwhile Gail's efforts are.

Hooray for @GailL1 !!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

An answer to your question -  

AARP updated 05/06/2021 - If I wait until 70 to claim Social Security, will my spouse get a bigger b... 

from the link ~ 

The most your spouse can receive on your work record is 50 percent of your primary insurance amount, which is the monthly benefit you are entitled to at full retirement age.

. . . . You can boost your retirement benefit by putting off claiming Social Security until age 70 and accruing delayed retirement credits, but they do not apply to spousal benefits.

Keep in mind

• The rules are different for survivor benefits. A widow or widower whose spouse waited until 70 to file for Social Security is entitled to the full amount the deceased was getting — including the delayed retirement credits — so long as the surviving spouse has reached full retirement age.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Contributor

Thank you Gail.  Much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

@RonG927928 The article shared by Gail (www.aarp.org/retirement/social-security/questions-answers/maximizing-spousal-social-security-benefit...) does provide the correct answer to your question. You can find out even more information on spousal benefits and any other questions you may have on Social Security at our Social Security Resource Center- https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social-security/

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP