Contributor

Spousal Benefits confustion

Hello -

My wife is 66 and drawing her SSA benefits at $360 per month. I will be retiring at FRA in 2 years and expect my SSA to be about $2600 per month based on current data.

I don't understand the whole spousal benefits area. Does she see a change in her benefits when I retire? Does our entire monthly amount still come out to the sum of her and my benefits, or about $2960?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JonC850620 

When your wife filed for her SS Retirement Benefit based on her own work record, she was deemed to be filing also for her Spousal Benefit when you file for your benefits. 

When you file for your Social Security retirement benefits, she can file for her Spousal benefits.

However,  Social Security will not pay the sum of her retirement + her spousal benefits; she will get a payment equal to the higher of the two benefits.  On paper, it will be a blending of the two benefits that will equal the higher of the two benefits.

AARP: 10/10/2018 - Can I collect spousal benefits if I earned my own Social Security benefit? 

Contributor

Thank you for this info! So, if I'm understanding correctly, her benefit will change from $360 to $1300, bringing our total monthly to $3900

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

IF your figures are correct.  You can always sign up for a Social Security.gov - mysocialsecurity account sign up and figure it and so can she, I believe.

Contributor

I'm in a similar situation.  I have created mysocialsecurity accounts for both of us.  But when I model/estimate her benefits, it does not give the option of factoring in my benefits.  Does this make sense??  How can I estimate what her benefits would be when she files assuming 50% of my benefits will be higher than her full benefit?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MichaelR730316 

I couldn't remember if the mysocialsecurity account gave the option of computing Spousal Benefits or not cause the spouse does have to have filed for benefits before spousal benefits are applicable- But this is a general SS - Spousal benefit calculator that lets you put in the info.

Social Security.gov - Benefits for Spouses 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos