Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Security was unfairly denied

Contributor

Social Security was unfairly denied

I turned 62 in may and applied for SS in July, when I retire.  The SS sent me a letter saying they wouldn't pay me because I've made too much money this year.  But the SS says there is a special rule that allows people like me to collect without penalty the first year of retirement "regardless of their income" as long as they don't ern more than $1420 a month after retirement.

How can I contest this denial?  My wife says I should walk into the local SS office that made the denial and talk with an agent.  Can I do that?  Or should I write?

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rp68022582wrote:

I turned 62 in may and applied for SS in July, when I retire.  The SS sent me a letter saying they wouldn't pay me because I've made too much money this year.  But the SS says there is a special rule that allows people like me to collect without penalty the first year of retirement "regardless of their income" as long as they don't ern more than $1420 a month after retirement.

How can I contest this denial?  My wife says I should walk into the local SS office that made the denial and talk with an agent.  Can I do that?  Or should I write?

Thanks,

Roger

Of course, you can make an appointment or just go and wait your turn at your local SS office and discuss your benefit or in your case, lack thereof -

Here is the SSA publication which discusses how the computation is done for those less than full retirement age who are still working.

Social Security Publication: How Work Affects Your Benefit

Notice how they reduce the benefit if you make over that (currently) $1420 per month.

Does this explain it to you in clearer terms?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Exept i won't be working. i'll be retired.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

From the letter you received from SS, they evidently think you are going to continue working.

However, there could be any number of things going on since you are short on details here. 

If if you just turned 62, when did you actually make the application?  The limit is about (3) months before you turn 62.

Have you worked In a SS benefit covered job for roughly 30 years, contributing to the program and with an ample salary to get you a good benefit.  Don't count civil service type jobs where you did not pay into the SS system.

You can always register for a MYSocialSecurity account and run some numbers yourself.  https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Or they may have screwed up and sent you the wrong form letter.

OR you can visit one of the local SS offices to see what happened.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I filed in April, less than a month before I turned 62.  I live Richmond.  My question is whether to take a day's leave and go in person or write and ask for reconcideration or call for an appointment.  I work about two hours away during the week so it's not easy for me to be here during the limited hours the office is open.

I'm under FERS, but because I was active duty Army for about seven years, I have 36.5 years of federal service.  I filed online, but because I lost me cell phone and won't have a replacement for several days I can't check my form because of their two factor authenticaiton. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Active military has been covered under Social Security since the late 50's. 

Are you sure your Federal employment status was under FERS and not CSRS.  FERS wasn't created until 1984 and has always been under the SS system but NOT CSRS - 

Getting into your account should reveal the problem, try that 1st.  You should be able to look at your benefits statement.  Do you have any old pay stubs that could indicate that your federal job was covered by the SS system if for some reason it is not shown on you statement.

If you make an appointment at the local office get ready for a stay.  When you set up the appointment, Maybe even ask if you can talk to someone at the local office if they set up telephone interviews.

Might want to review these links to see if they might be applicable -

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/fedgovees.html

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Good Luck - let us know the answer to the mystery when it is revealed.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP