Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Social Security Spousal Benefit

I have a question concerning the Social Security Spousal Benefit that I have not been able to find an answer to. I married in 2015 to a person already receiving a reduced Social Security benefit (taken at the age of 62 in 2006). I will be turning 62 this September 2019 (benefits to start in October) and planned on applying for my own benefits, as well as, the spousal benefit. Everything I read says the spousal benefit is 50% of my spouses PIA (Primary Insurance Amount). Of course, I would receive only 33.96% since I am taking it 54 months early. My question is what is my spouses PIA? Is it the amount they could have gotten initially had they waited to full retirement at 65 say back in 2009? Or is a figure that has since increased due to the years of cost of living adjustments? I do realize that my benefits will be my own or Spousal amount (really my own + what it takes to bring me up to the spousal amount), whichever is larger. I was just hoping to get a ballpark figure for decision making help. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

COLAs are applied to your spouse's PIA in determining your spousal benefit starting with the year after they turn age 62. Up until a person reaches 62, their PIA is adjusted through the benefit calculation formula. After 62, it is done through COLAs.

The PIA is not affected by the decision to take benefits early or late - it is the benefit amount if claimed at FRA, but it will include the COLA adjustments noted above.

Here's some more information on the spousal benefit

https://optimizesocialsecurity.org/supplementary-benefits.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Go to your SS office and they will figure the best  solution. You might not be elgible for current spouse benefit because you haven`t been married for 10 years. Probably if you take your own SS payment you won`t be elgible for spouse benefit or any part of it.. You can`t co-mingle  yours and  spouse. If you were married 10 years you would be elgible for 50% of spouse benefit but not both. Sounds like it would be better off taking your own and if you waited to 66 it would be quite a bit more.If you happen to be disable you can get full benefit as if you had waited to age 66.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The 10 year marriage requirement only applies when trying to collect on an ex-spouse's earnings record, provided you did not remarry prior to age 60 (eligibility resumes if the later marriage ends).

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP