Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Social Security Scam Alert

Message 1 of 4

larryk678000 wrote:

I don't mean to be facetious but the following has always confounded me.

Avoiding any type of scam is common sense. I am 61. When I am 70, will I suddenly become an idiot? Or, do the people who fall for these scams lack common sense throughout their lives?

I am dead serious.  I don't understand how scamming seniors is such an epidemic. In fact, having lived longer, you would think that seniors' greater experience would have them spot a scam 10 miles away. What's the saying, "I wasn't born yesterday."

How to so many get so stupid?

Larry,

I deliver meals-on-wheels and the youngest one is 81; the oldest is around 95.

They live in another world sometimes.  Answering every call they get and even converse with those on the other end.  They were raised at a time when there were no scammers.  They have their "amplified" home phone and get excited when it rings.  They are alone and that is also why it takes a very long time to deliver the meals - I maybe the only one they see in a day or even in the week.

We try to give them flyers about such things as this and other things like people coming to their door wanting to do some work for them - they listen and seem to understand but when that phone rings, they still answer it.  Some have caller ID but just don't use it to screen calls.

Getting old without people around a good bit to help you is h*ll especially since the world has changed so much.  Try to explain "spoofing" to them.  

http://community.aarp.org/t5/Scams-Fraud/New-Wrinkle/m-p/1891067#M1650

For years, our Senior Center did education about using caller ID to screen their calls but now the caller ID says, "Social Security" calling and we are back at square one with them.

So yes, you will be fine at 70 - it is the late 80's and upwards where there might be a problem especially if you are alone as they are.

Sure, they might be better off somewhere else but there is a lot between reality, what they want to do and perfection.  So we do what we can and hope for the best -'there is more of them, than us.

Volunteers are always needed to help those who can't.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 4

I don't mean to be facetious but the following has always confounded me.

Avoiding any type of scam is common sense. I am 61. When I am 70, will I suddenly become an idiot? Or, do the people who fall for these scams lack common sense throughout their lives?

I am dead serious.  I don't understand how scamming seniors is such an epidemic. In fact, having lived longer, you would think that seniors' greater experience would have them spot a scam 10 miles away. What's the saying, "I wasn't born yesterday."

How to so many get so stupid?

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4

These are so simplistic, I don't know why people continue to fall for them!

If someone's already getting SS, then the SSA already knows how to send them their monthly payments .. why would they need that information again?!

The SSA knows a lot of things about us; I was surprsed recently to get 2 letters from them, with their projections on my pension from 2 companies. The main was was spot-on, and the 2nd was even more amazing, since that company hasn't even triple-checked the calculations to let me know yet!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

Social Security Scam Alert

Message 4 of 4

Scammers are targeting your Social Security benefits, and here’s what you need to know: