Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Social Security Retirement Date

I am in the process of signing up on line for social security. My age for full retirement benefits is June 15, 2022. The online form is asking me when I want my benefits to start. I know that benefits are paid one month late. If I put June as a starting date, will I receive my full benefit in July, even though my birthday isn't until June 15? Or do I need to wait until July, the month after, in order to receive full benefits?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Social Security Benefits Start Date - When Will I Receive Payment? - Direct Express Card Help (direc...

Social Security Benefits Start Date

An individual first becomes eligible to receive Social Security benefits during the month after the month of their 62nd birthday.

Once you have applied, it could take up to three months to receive your first benefit payment. Social Security benefits are paid monthly, starting in the month after your birthday

So if a person was born in August, his or her first month of eligibility is September.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Let me restate my question. I am 65 and eligible for full retirement benefits on June 15 of this year. My question is: if I want to get my full benefits, do I ask to start my check in June or in July?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP