Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Social Security Phone Interview

Hello all. I’ll introduce my issue with these questions…..

Would you think having a phone interview review on Friday, January 28, 2022 when one was done on Wednesday, September 4, 2019?

What is the point of such interviews anyhow?

Thank you,
Tom

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had temporarily had over the $2,000 resource limit by it just so happened couldn’t get it under at an end of a month. After that I had a deduction taken out for nine months.

Are there specific reasons for these phone reviews?

I’ve had between $2,000 and $3,400 since the first week of April because of the $1,400 stimulus check. I found that the resource limit is $3,400 for a year after receiving it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Tom, this phone call is about your SSI benefits (Supplemental Security Income) .  This program is only administered by the Social Security Administration but it does NOT come out of the Social Security Trust Fund.  

Because there is an income and resource limit connected to SSI; they are calling you about this because they do monitor these income and resource limits closely.  

Because the local SS offices are closed to most business and many of the staff are working remotely, phone interviews for SSI are now a normal course of business and they do send a letter beforehand so that you can be prepared to answer whatever their question(s).  

I cannot answer your specifics but I do know that many SSI recipients had a problem with the over the limit ($ 2000) income reporting connected to Covid stimulus funs.  These funds were not supposed to be counted - at least not for awhile.   Most likely they need clarification - they already have your specific personal info so they will know what they are asking about specifically, and you won't need to supply any personal info like identifying numbers for yourself or your bank.

I hope they called on time but if not they will ASAP - I have heard that sometimes these times are just ballpark - as long as they have the right contact number for you.  If you need to ask more questions, there are some knowledgeable people, some who work for SSA and are very familiar with the SSI (Supplemental Security Income) program, at this site and you can ask question there; just identify your benefit as SSI because there is a world of difference in SSI and Social Security of whatever type - Reddit.com Social Security and SSI Board 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

They never called.

As I mentioned, I had a phone interview on September 4, 2019 which was before the pandemic.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

SSI always does periodic reviews but I'm guessing that this does have to do with the covid stimulus and the excess resource amount that it created.  But I think you need to be sure so . . . 

I would do a couple of things:

1.  Call them - number should be on the letter -  and ask if the phone appointment is going to be rescheduled or if the matter has been resolved - they should have a note on your file as to one way or the other.  Be prepared for a redial over and over and hold time - Urrrr

2.  Check your benefit amount for the next several months to make sure there are no changes from the expected amount.  You should have already gotten the COLA for 2022.

It is a difficult time for them and this working remotely but IMO, it could be done MUCH better.  Maybe we will get back to some normalcy soon - although I would expect we will never return to open local SS offices completely.  I know this is pain but they are just trying to do their required job.  It sounds like you know exactly what it is about - I believe you said that you have used the covid funds now - that's good, you know the $$$ limit you need to stay under or report anything else.

0 Kudos
Contributor

They have not called. They called at the exact time in September 2019.

It would be their problem for not noticing that it hasn't been a year since I received my Covid stimulus. Perhaps they notice it and cancelled.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

AARP.org updated 12/29/2021 - Do COVID-19 stimulus checks affect SSI benefits?

This link gives a few details and perhaps for what reason they are contacting you - or who to contact (if you can) if you need further help.

The SSA 's remoting working routine definitely has a lot to be desired during this pandemic - IMO.  Hope you get it worked out.  Good Luck.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@TomF30806 

I have no idea what you are talking about. Who called you? Are you saying it was someone from Social Security? Was the money held out of your SS checks? It sounds like you may need to talk to an attorney. Have you spoken with your local SS office?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I received a letter from the Social Security Administration a few weeks before the call. I was then informed that because I exceeded the $2,000 amount in my savings account, that they would take nine equal amounts of money from my monthly payments.

Now 2.4 years later I received another letter requesting another phone interview which is after I had between $2,000 and $3,400 after being below the $3,400 that I wondered, checked and found I should be allowed to have without question until April 7.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Social Security Office does not call people. It is a scam.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Here is the letter:

SSA Letter.png

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sounds like a scam to me

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP