Help the victims of Hurricane Michael. Donate now and AARP Foundation will match the first $500,000 in contributions.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 301 of 317
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
Will we ever see an increase in our Social Secuirty again to help the rising cost of living. Darlene Krake
Posted by 19krake66

Social Security recipients will get a 3.6% COLA beginning in January.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 302 of 317
The only answer is to get rid of all the politicians.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 303 of 317
I would like to see the source of that "fact" about $245.  If that were to happen all us elderly would clog the streets until the politicians couldn't get through without running over us.

And Golfnutoo, you are damn lucky we don't have a republican president - another George Bush! God help us if that should happen. Hold your breath and pray Obama is reelected, and that the next time we get a chance we will throw those obstinate and restrictive republicans out of office also! 

To keep SS solvent we should demand an immediate end to Obama's cuts in the SS taxes paid by current workers.  Is this part of a plot to kill SS by cutting funds available for payments?  Everyone knows the SS fund is in trouble.  He is only making it worse.  I paid FICA and my employer matched it every year.  Now when the economy is in trouble OBAMA cuts the money available to make SS payments. 
Posted by Golfnutoo

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 304 of 317
In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many Social Security myths are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

Loosing my disability benefits
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 305 of 317
In January 2012 all Social Security recipients will receive a 6% cost of living raise.  I am on Social Security Disabilty since the age of 56.  My check isn't all that big to start with.  That will give me a raise of about $20 per month and then of course the cost of Medicare is going to go up also in January.  My medical supplement already went up $17 and my RX coverage is going up another $10 starting in January.  I'd like to know how the government considers this a reasonable cost of living raise when everything has gone up much  more than the measly 6% in the 3 years that we did not get a raise! How would all those big shots in the senate feel about a 6% raise in 3 years?  They wouldn't like it a bit!  But they don't hesitate to kick the elderly and disabled in the teeth when their down.  THEY took OUR money!  Now they don't want to pay it back so they sit around thinking up ways that they can keep from giving it to us. 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 306 of 317
I have been on SS Disability for the past two years, and I am currently 62 years old. My husband will be retiring in the next two years from a company that I have been on his medical insurance. All I can find is that 3 months prior to me turning 65 that I should plan on applying for Part B and Part D. When he retires he will go onto his Medicare but I will not be of age yet to get these other parts for mine. Will I be able to apply also at that time for the other parts that I do not receive or do I have to wait the next two years to be placed on full Medicare? Without calling the SS office the directions are very confusing.
Posted by juneen5230

Dear Juneen5230,   I have also been on SS Disability for the past 2 years and I am also on Medicare part A & B with a RX supplement and I am only 58 yrs old.   As long as you are on SSD you are eligible for all of this in fact you were eligible as soon as you started collecting SSD.   I am surprised that you did not get any information sent to you from the Social Security office.  Medicare is taken directly out of your SSD paycheck. 

lavonivy
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 307 of 317
To keep SS solvent we should demand an immediate end to Obama's cuts in the SS taxes paid by current workers.  Is this part of a plot to kill SS by cutting funds available for payments?  Everyone knows the SS fund is in trouble.  He is only making it worse.  I paid FICA and my employer matched it every year.  Now when the economy is in trouble OBAMA cuts the money available to make SS payments. 
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 308 of 317
GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 309 of 317
I have been on SS Disability for the past two years, and I am currently 62 years old. My husband will be retiring in the next two years from a company that I have been on his medical insurance. All I can find is that 3 months prior to me turning 65 that I should plan on applying for Part B and Part D. When he retires he will go onto his Medicare but I will not be of age yet to get these other parts for mine. Will I be able to apply also at that time for the other parts that I do not receive or do I have to wait the next two years to be placed on full Medicare? Without calling the SS office the directions are very confusing.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 310 of 317
In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many Social Security myths are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

That  we do not get cost of living increase, we just get by and when we don't get that increase we have to give up something to make ends met and it is not buying a new car. 
Kudos
Views