Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 151 of 326

@ph4231 wrote:

. . . . also i have a friend that is on disability and moved to the state of new york. this friend has started being harrased by state agencies threathing to freeze and remove her from social securuty. is this for real? can states mandate our social security benifits?

For both SSDI and SSI, there are periodic disability reviews and many times these are conducted by the state although usually there is a questionaire sent to the beneficiary to be completed beforehand but I don't know if this is always the case.  This has long been the procedure.

The President's 2015 budget proposal reinterated these reviews for program integrity of both SSDI and SSI.

WhiteHouse 2015 Budget Proposal.   (see page 149)

This is only applicable to SSDI and SSI not the Old Age and Survivors benefits.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 152 of 326

@rt3213290 wrote:

I am planning on filing for ssdi in 2016 at the age of 56..I will be drawing a pension from a private company in June 2015. I was forced to leave this company in 2007 because of osteo arthritis of both knees. Will this pension affect my SSDI decision or decrease my benefits?

Thanks Robert

No to both -

The only thing that SSDI is going to measure you on is your health condition and whether or not it meets their definition of disability.

From SSA:  SSDI 

"The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

This is a strict definition of disability. Social Security program rules assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings and investments."

Follow the links provided in this page:

SSA: Disability Planner

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 153 of 326

The main thing that concerns me about retirees is not necessarily IF Social Security payments will be made, but HOW MUCH will the payments buy?  Price inflation is here to stay, and yes, at times it will fluctuate, but overall, my opinion is that the prices of goods and services will rise more than 3% per year.  For those with a fix income (e.g. pension, Social Security) this is obviously a problem.  Add in unexpected cost such as long-term care, and the squeeze will definitely be on then.  So what's a potential solution?  Once again, it's just my opinion, but diversifying into precious metals such as gold and silver is one way to offset the harmful effects of price inflation.  As the author of this article shows us, doing something as simple as 'hunting' for copper pennies and silver coins after checking out at the cash register can be beneficial to your bottom line.  Sorry a bit off topic but hopefully helpful!

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 154 of 326

the republican party has and will do more to take away our bennifits. they treat social security as a hand out instead of an system that we paid in to. also i have a friend that is on disability and moved to the state of new york. this friend has started being harrased by state agencies threathing to freeze and remove her from social securuty. is this for real? can states mandate our social security benifits?

prhuds00
Highlighted

Message 155 of 326

I am planning on filing for ssdi in 2016 at the age of 56..I will be drawing a pension from a private company in June 2015. I was forced to leave this company in 2007 because of osteo arthritis of both knees. Will this pension affect my SSDI decision or decrease my benefits?

Thanks Robert

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 156 of 326

I am a disabled worker and I want to know is my ssi benefit going to be reduced when I turn 65 and have to go off of disablity benefits.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 157 of 326

@tasssag4 wrote:
women who never worked received half of husbands and he gets all his.NOT RIGHT Women who worked are penalized for working.Makes no sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then we need to change the law to provide for the spouse not working outside the home - nowadays that could be a man or a woman or any combination of a "couple" where one works outside of the home and the other takes care of the home & family.

The solution is very simple - at tax time during those working years, the couple just splits their total income and any FICA taxes paid in so that instead of reporting it under just the one earing that outside paycheck (one social security number) - it is split at reported under BOTH of their social security numbers.

That way, both of them are actually earning a benefit which they rightly are -

This gives a real value to both of their jobs and rightly so .

Highlighted

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 158 of 326
women who never worked received half of husbands and he gets all his.NOT RIGHT Women who worked are penalized for working.Makes no sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Highlighted

Message 159 of 326
That the purpose for which Social security was founded will be eroded so much that seniors will fall easily into a poverty stricken existence.
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 160 of 326

George -

You are absolutely right about this. I wholeheartedly stand against Fred Griesbach's efforts (along with those of "The Can Kicks Back" the "Balanced Budget Amendment" and the like). The idea that a country with a fully fiat currency like the US Dollar might need to "cut SS to save it" is utter nonsense. If people understood how their own national currency works, Fred would not be able to mount this attack on Social Security. When we were on the edge of the Great Recession, the Gov't could have afforded to suspend payroll taxes (while making up the difference to the OASDI Trust Funds itself) and raise the minimum SS pay to $2,000/mo. 

When a country uses a fully fiat currency that floats on the foreign exchange, the question is never about it's ability to leave enough of that currency in the private sector to support a brisk economy, rather it's a question of whether or not we have enough REAL goods and services to go around. The Federal Government should point it's efforts towards balancing the economy, not "the budget". Balancing the budget is for individuals, biz and local governments (i.e., users of the national currency). Not for the sole net issuer of the national currency.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors