Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 171 of 329
That organizations like AARP, who are supposed to advocate for seniors, are allowing legislation like Government Pension Offset (GPO) and Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) rob hard-earned retirement income from middle class Americans. AARP always talks the talk about protecting Social Security, but when it comes to GPO & WEP, they certainly don't walk the walk.
Trailsnet is a huge fan of trails: trail travel, trail commuting, trail recreation & trail building.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 172 of 329

Due to funding issue, social security benefits would almost certainly be cut down the road.  This is a major concern.  This would put more financial burden on younger Baby Bommers and the generations that follow.  This means we must be more intelligent on investing for our retirement down the road.  Unfortunately, many people are not ready in the position to accept the challenge. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 173 of 329
Keep it going!!!! Raise the limit on what is taxable. Cut out the fraud, esp. on disability claims!!!! I think you could double the limit and solve the problem. I've got to have Social Security to live in just a very few years!!!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 174 of 329

The problem is that COLA idgnors two essential cosrt factors, food and fuel.  For the purpose of providing Senior Citizens whgo are primarily on Social Secrity, increasses in food costs and fuel costs can present a hardship or put thim into the difficult position of having toask for financial assistance.  The COLA for Social Security calculation should be dynamically recalculated each qukarter and thke Social Security Payments adjusted accordingly.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 175 of 329

I'm not overly concerned about the system itself; I understand it is self-funding.  Working people pay the SS tax to keep the fund alive.  I think a concern of mine is if the younger people will not be able to find jobs that allow them to pay the SS taxes.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 176 of 329

Wifey asking too many questions,  eh.   Getting ideas?  

Here's a remedy for that.   Tell her that you have many,  many beautiful,  investment=grade Diamonds,  the most flawless,  perfect,  amazing gems that you have bought for her.  

Then just say that on the advice of,  er,  aarp message boards,  you put them within an IRA for the favorable tax treatment while they appreciate in value to an astounding amount.  

Uh oh   Better not make any jokes around here.  Over in that other thread I referenced for the poster here,  the box office is setting  records.  Went thru the roof.  Before the poster put up her new post tonite in that thread,  the views for the previous post had hit like close to 2,400.  And that post wasn't really stale,  fairly recent.    

Unless it is a malfunction in the count clicker  here  -  always a possibility with the site screwups here    =  that is pretty amazing to me so many people eating this stuff up. 

WhaddaYou  make of it.......??????

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 177 of 329

"... Also,  if your husband lavishes you with expensive gifts,  diamonds,  furs,  Rolex  -  no matter,  it is not "income",   soc. sec.  doesn't care.  As long as he didn't acquire the money for the diamonds and furs by concealing income....".

Hey, DW sometimes looks at these postings. You're a bad influence! 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 178 of 329

) If I take benefits at 62 and switch to spousal benefits (my husband) at 66, can I resume my benefits at 70?

Answered over in the other thread. 

2) If I take benefits at 62 and I have no income, will I still be penalized if my husband makes over the allotted amount?

Never.    Soc Sec. is not like food stamps.  Or TCA.  It doesn't go by household income.  Only the beneficiary is subject to the rules of the earnings limits;   not other members of the same household,  so no worries there  you cannot be penalized.  Also,  if your husband lavishes you with expensive gifts,  diamonds,  furs,  Rolex  -  no matter,  it is not "income",   soc. sec.  doesn't care.  As long as he didn't acquire the money for the diamonds and furs by concealing income,  lol  

Thanks in advance.

You're entirely welcome !

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 179 of 329

I'm just confused about when to take benefits and what are the penalties for taking it early. I have two questions:

1) If I take benefits at 62 and switch to spousal benefits (my husband) at 66, can I resume my benefits at 70?

2) If I take benefits at 62 and I have no income, will I still be penalized if my husband makes over the allotted amount?

Thanks in advance.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 180 of 329

1. The fact that this is dated a couple of years ago says no one will read this. 

2. Disability is being decided on 1960s definitions.   Todays long term problems that disable people are things like Migraine and chronic headache that stops you from working for most of the year.  Yet is not recognized.   Lyme disease gives many disableing problems yet they are not considered.

3. They only recognize something broken and cannot be fixed for disability.  They are now being fixed. 

It makes no sense now if you read this in a few years you might understand our frustrations.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit