Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Concerns about Social Security

Message 131 of 320
catla2sc wrote
Why not require a pin (personal dentification number) for social security accounts?
It is required on credit cards and debit cards.

Actually, if you are trying to check your SS account online, you do have to go through a process of identity verification and then they will issue you a PIN to periodically check your account.
* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 132 of 320

@janus6990 wrote:

My friend's husband died at the age of 63, and he had accumulated Social Security. She never got any of it. Is this normal? (She was an elementary school teacher with STRS retirement. Does this mean she can't even partake of her husband's SS?) Jane Burnett

As a widow in this situation, she is affected by the Social Security Government Pension Offset provision.

Here is a Social Security pamphlet on it.  (2) pages and it explains everything about the provision.

Social Security Administration - Government Pension Offset

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 320

My friend's husband died at the age of 63, and he had accumulated Social Security. She never got any of it. Is this normal? (She was an elementary school teacher with STRS retirement. Does this mean she can't even partake of her husband's SS?) Jane Burnett

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 320

My concern is the proposed $15.00/hr. min. wage being reviewed by some cities/states.  I worked from age 12 to age 65, the most I ever made was $20.00/ hr., which I earned, not legislated for.  My job required knowledge in many fields, from HVAC to grounds maint.  Now they want and un-skilled, High School drop out to be able to make a living flipping burgers.

As we all know our Social Security and retirement is based on our earnings and ability to contribute.

If this min. wage does go into affect, the cost of living WILL rise.  Are we going to be able to legislate a subsantial increase in our Social Security Benefits.  What about being able to re-negotiate the amount we were able to contribute to our 401K's and have someone "give" us the difference between what we were able to contribute and what we would have been able to contribute at $6.00-$8.00/ hr. more earnings when we were working.  Being a Viet Nam Vet who is not recognized by the VA and initiatives such as this one which could hold catastrophic results for fixed incomes, I am starting to get the feeling that the Government does not want us around any more

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Concerns about Social Security

Message 135 of 320

Why not require a pin (personal dentification number) for social security accounts?

It is required on credit cards and debit cards.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 320
You do not mention theillogical and immoral offset andso called double dipping legislations. These have deprived many honorable hardworking Americans of money to which they are absolutely entitled. My mother was allowed to receive her own well earned state pension plus my deceased father's social securtity thus enabling her to live comfortably in her old age. Her friends who retired only 2 years later were literally forced to choose between their own state pensions and their social security widows pension.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 137 of 320
jedpac

Exactly what are you talking about?????????????
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 320

The government will continue to shave the benefits.  They will continue to use ss money for other things and not replenish it or will replenish it at the detriment of others....middle class and poor.  It is about the haves and the have nots in every areana.  Healthcare from medicare and medicaid is

being shaved to not provide the generalpublic with correct coverage.   It is not right that we must fight to keep our benefits and that every chance the government gets they try to cut something. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 320

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is not the same as Social Security.    

Social Security is an entitlement program in which its beneficiaries paid into the system,  either  through payroll withholding or filing Schedule SE.    

SSI is not an entitlement program.  It is welfare.  

Unlike Social Security,  SSI just like any other welfare program,  has rules and eligibility criteria in order to qualify. 

You have to apply locally for welfare payments and assistance.    There is no system to send out "statements" to tell you how much you qualify for,  as this form of welfare bears only minimal relationship to record of lifetime earnings.   Whatever benefits you may qualify for through SSI do not come out of the social security trust funds;  they come out of the public treasury,  hence,  why it is termed to be welfare,  not social security.  

Got it?      

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 140 of 320
I would like to know what amount of ssi that I would get at age 65. Can they send a statement out to you for that?
Kudos
Views