Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

S.S. Plan confirmation appreciared

Contributor

S.S. Plan confirmation appreciared

I will be 70 in March, 2020. My wife just turned 66. We both still work and are not collecting S.S.

As I understand it we missed the window for me to file and suspend so she could collect starting now without offsetting her income.

Our plan is for me to start collecting at 70 and she will collect spousal benefit at that time until she turns 70 and starts collecting her benefit.

Is this the best at this time? Any helpful comments appreciated.

i keep reading how complicated S.S. can be but this seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Will do.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

You can check using the "Maximize My Social Security" software, a commericial subscription software that is quite good

https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/

Or use this free calculator put out by author Mike Piper. This is very good as well

https://opensocialsecurity.com/

You can check optimal scenarios with either. You can also run an alternate scenario of your own choice with these tools.

@DavidW667140 wrote:

I will be 70 in March, 2020. My wife just turned 66. We both still work and are not collecting S.S.

As I understand it we missed the window for me to file and suspend so she could collect starting now without offsetting her income.

Our plan is for me to start collecting at 70 and she will collect spousal benefit at that time until she turns 70 and starts collecting her benefit.

Is this the best at this time? Any helpful comments appreciated.

i keep reading how complicated S.S. can be but this seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Have you both looked at the Social Security web site and created accounts?

Be sure to look at the FAQs and see if you can find the answer to your question. You may want to call or go to your local office too.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP