Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 101 of 110

@SteveT934531,  @JohnF878645

In a nutshell, they don't know how to figure it to be fair.

Social Security WEP History

The old way was not fair because it paid too much so we won't go back to that way.

My neighbor is a plumber - he worked for the local school system not under the SS system.  He also had his own company where he "moonlighted" and paid SS on this salary.  He worked for the school system around 25 years.  When he retired and began his pension from the school system, he continued to work at his company until he had accumulated a work history in the SS system of 30 years.

He gets both pension and SS and is not affected by the WEB because he had an overall substantial work history under the SS system.

You have to have at least 10 years of work history with a minimum of earnings for those years to be vested into the SS system.  For low wage earners, they work their whole length of their career (30 or more years) under the SS system to get the minimum benefit.  People who work mainly outside the SS system but who may have 10 years or more (but less than 30) working in a job within the SS system are not low wage earners and thus their benefits cannot be figured as if they were as was done before the WEP.

So they came up with the WEP because if you worked 10 years under the SS system, you are entitled to a benefit but only one that represents the amount of time and contributions which were made under the SS system.

I do not know if the WEP is fair but I do know the way they use to figure it was "double dipping" because they considered these worker as low wage earners and gave them credit as such under the SS system.

You are outliers. You are outside the regular computation of benefits.  You don't fit into the normal computation unless you work under the SS system for about 30 years, even at a low wage.

Perhaps you should opt for some special manual computation since there are relatively few in this situation.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 102 of 110

Like so many who have commented on this issue I suffer from this inequity.  Unfortunately members of Congress listen to those who complain, sympathize with the problem, however shift the responsibility for lack of advancement of pending legislation to committees, sub-committees, hearings, etc.  These excuses persist year after year with no resolution.  One would believe that no bills ever advance, however this not the case as we all know. The voice of those who have reached retirement age fall upon deaf ears, and those of us who are denied the benefits we have rightly earned will I am afraid NEVER see this “wrong” righted.  It’s a sad testimony to what moral and ethical values associated with hard work produce in our country.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 110

You need to read about WEP on the SS website so you understand it. I “am” vested in both as I worked and paid into SS both before and after my federal career to where I have 40 quarters plus.  It’s a penalty for having another retirement source. Plain and simple.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 110

@JohnF878645 wrote:

Somebody help me understand why AARP has not taken a position on this HR to repeal the WEP?  WEP is nothing short of discrimination against retired federal employees.  At the very least, if you're going to receive a highly reduced SS amount, why weren't we paying in a highly reduced amount?

Very dissapointing.  And you want retired federal employees to join AARP?

They have a policy.

AARP Public Policies 2017 - 2018 - State and Local Government Workers

Look, all we are talking about here is a Social Security formula.  If you do not pay and your employer does not match contributions on the wages which you earn, then those wages should not be counted towards this benefit.

During those years, contributions were made to a public pension - so those wages and contributions have been counted towards this benefit.

I know people who are getting full benefits on both because they worked under both coverage options for the required number of years to be completely vested in both.

Even if the formula is changed, if there is not sufficient counted work in the private sector where SS contributions were made and matched by the employer, this SS benefit will be low(er) because the Pension Offset would probably expanded.

BTW, I am pretty sure that Federal workers have been paying into the Social Security system since 1984 so for them, any reduced benefit is dwindling big time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 110

Somebody help me understand why AARP has not taken a position on this HR to repeal the WEP?  WEP is nothing short of discrimination against retired federal employees.  At the very least, if you're going to receive a highly reduced SS amount, why weren't we paying in a highly reduced amount?

Very dissapointing.  And you want retired federal employees to join AARP?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 110

I know people affected by Ronald Reagan signing the Windfall Elimination Provision and Government Pension Offset provisions into law as part of the Social Security Refinancing Act in 1983 during his first term, who turned around and voted for Reagan for his second term. How smart is that?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 110

I understand the concept of not double dipping but how is it double dipping to take 40% from someone already penalized for only having 20 years of Social security payments, Especially when my SS payments were much higher than most due to my salary. As it stands someone earning 20,000 will get more than I will just by paying in , I am also penalized for being from another country where my State pension is 20 years short due to wanting to be a US Citizen. Now I will get reduced pension from there and from the US and they think this is fair  to further cut what I will get  Railmen agreement yes I agree  should not recieve both but thier pensions are substantially the same from either.. I am not trying to double dip just get back what I have paid for for 20 years.. Any congress men/woman should support the abolition of what is nothing less than a disgusting law to the average hard working citizens of this country, President Trump if you are for the working class Amarican you should in all good concience look into this.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 110

@cn5621 wrote:

@Gail1wrote:

Only position I could find from AARP, although the article does not bear a year , John Rother left this position in 2011 - current AARP position ???????

AARP has not taken a position on GPO or WEP and neither supports nor opposes either piece of legislation. AARP’s public policies are recommended by its all volunteer National Legislative Council and approved by its volunteer Board of Directors. The Board has considered the issues but chose not to adopt policy on either the government pension offset (GPO) or the windfall elimination provision (WEP). Many teachers and public employees have been told they are being singled out for unfair treatment, but the issue is complex and if there were an injustice, AARP would be there fighting to correct it.

Washington Post ViewPoint : John Rother, AARP's Director of Policy and Strategy, on Social Security

Anything that involves SSN should be a Red Flag issue with AARP. Why do they think the majority of us join. Any issue that involves the V.A. or SSN is #1 with me.  I am concerned with other issues but these two are at the top of my list 

On these particular Social Security issues, I can understand why they have not taken a position. The fix, if one is necessary, may just require a formula change - that's the debate in Congress.  We cannot go back to the way they use to do it because that was a problem.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 110

@GailL1 wrote:

Update to those who are involved in these Social Security situations-

Here is the newest  legislation to be introduced to repeal the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision and the Pension Offset.

H.R. 1205 - Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

introduced 02/2017 by Rep. Rodney Davis (R - IL)

currently 158 co-sponsors 

has gone through the Ways and Means Committee

now in the sub-committee for Social Security

identical bill in the Senate S.915

introducedm04/2017 by Senator Sherrod Brown (D - OH)

currently 9 co-sponsors

In the Finance Commttee

S. 915 Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

Here is what the Committee for the Preservation of Social Security and Medicare says about this proposed legislation.

NCPSSM Public Policy - Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision

Only position I could find from AARP, although the article does not bear a year , John Rother left this position in 2011 - current AARP position ???????

AARP has not taken a position on GPO or WEP and neither supports nor opposes either piece of legislation. AARP’s public policies are recommended by its all volunteer National Legislative Council and approved by its volunteer Board of Directors. The Board has considered the issues but chose not to adopt policy on either the government pension offset (GPO) or the windfall elimination provision (WEP). Many teachers and public employees have been told they are being singled out for unfair treatment, but the issue is complex and if there were an injustice, AARP would be there fighting to correct it.

Washington Post ViewPoint : John Rother, AARP's Director of Policy and Strategy, on Social Security

Anything that involves SSN should be a Red Flag issue with AARP. Why do they think the majority of us join. Any issue that involves the V.A. or SSN is #1 with me.  I am concerned with other issues but these two are at the top of my list 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 110 of 110

Update to those who are involved in these Social Security situations-

Here is the newest  legislation to be introduced to repeal the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision and the Pension Offset.

H.R. 1205 - Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

introduced 02/2017 by Rep. Rodney Davis (R - IL)

currently 158 co-sponsors 

has gone through the Ways and Means Committee

now in the sub-committee for Social Security

identical bill in the Senate S.915

introducedm04/2017 by Senator Sherrod Brown (D - OH)

currently 9 co-sponsors

In the Finance Commttee

S. 915 Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

Here is what the Committee for the Preservation of Social Security and Medicare says about this proposed legislation.

NCPSSM Public Policy - Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision

Kudos
Views
Replies