Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Part B reapply question

Long story, I guess. I was retiring at the end of April and both my wife and I were covered under my company group insurance. She receives SSDI, is 63 years of age, and applied for Part B in mid-April under a SEP (covered by a group health plan through my employer). Part B began in May. Our group health plan coverage ended at the end of April and they told we each had to phone SS and let them know we were no longer insured by them. She did this in June, but there was some goof up and somehow she was dis-enrolled from Part B.

Our talks with SS have lead no where except them saying she can reapply for Part B either during a SEP or the yearly enrollment period at the start of next year. So, here's a dumb question--does it seem logical that she could just turn around and reapply now, since she actually was in one SEP when she first applied for Part B (i.e., still insured) in April; and now could enroll within the next 8 months under the SEP related to our leaving the group insurance coverage (midnight of the last day of April)? Since both occurred about the same time (applied in mid-April for Part B and also dropped group insurance the end of that month), I don't know if this will work and may have to talk to SS..

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@DuaneK761357 your story is interesting but as @GailL1 pointed out, there seem to be some missing pieces.

Our group health plan coverage ended at the end of April and they told we each had to phone SS and let them know we were no longer insured by them. She did this in June, but there was some goof up and somehow she was dis-enrolled from Part B.

WHO told your wife to call SSA regarding loss of coverage?

Follow this link to learn more about applying for Part B following loss of EGH

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/medicare.htm#work

The process for applying for Part B following loss of EGH (employer group health) was covered in @GailL1 post.

If not, she will have to complete form CMS-40B

and have the employer complete form CMS L564

40B is the paper application for Part B, L564 is the required form if you want immediate coverage without delay or penalty. Both forms SHOULD be sent to SSA at the same time  to minimize the chance of the forms becoming lost in the maze.

The 8 month rule in @GailL1 post allows you to enroll in Part B ONLY IF your wife did not apply for COBRA. Applying for COBRA shortens the 8 month window to 63 days.

If 40B and L564 were never submitted to SSA do so now. It is possible SSA will accept these forms and retroactively approve Part B.

Otherwise she will have to wait until the GEP (General Enrollment Period) next January, apply for coverage which will become effective July of that year. A lifetime late enrollment penalty will apply.

Hope this helps.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Contributor

somarco  and Gail.1,

Her clinic told her to do it. Also, she did not apply for COBRA.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. We will complete the two forms (as we did when she applied back in April while we did have group coverage), and submit under the 8 month window.rule for loss of Group Health Plan. If she doesn't get accepted for some reason, it's just a long time to be without good insurance.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DuaneK761357 wrote:

Long story, I guess. I was retiring at the end of April and both my wife and I were covered under my company group insurance. She receives SSDI, is 63 years of age, and applied for Part B in mid-April under a SEP (covered by a group health plan through my employer). Part B began in May. Our group health plan coverage ended at the end of April and they told we each had to phone SS and let them know we were no longer insured by them. She did this in June, but there was some goof up and somehow she was dis-enrolled from Part B.

I have to ask a couple of questions about your wife's coverage before answering your question.

Since she is only 63 years of age - has she been on SSDI for the required 24 months to qualify for Medicare?

Did she already have Part A  or did Medicare accept her Part A enrollment when she applied for both Parts A & B in mid-April?

It just seems like something else is going on here.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

She started Part A back in 1998. I had employer group insurance so she never grabbed Part B until I retired thIs year. It is unfortunately possible that she did dis-enroll without comprehending what she was doing as she did the phone call to SS..

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DuaneK761357 

OK, then there should be no problem with her enrolling in Part B NOW - She is already in her special enrollment period.  You will have to remember we are not in normal times due to Covid-19 - many of these people are working remotely - it helps to do it their way albeit the government way is sometimes a bit more complicated.

Try it the requested way, MAYBE it would work better.

Social Security.gov - Apply Online for Medicare Part B During a Special Enrollment Period 

Medicare Part B Enrollment During the COVID-19 Pandemic:

Can you handle this digital method?

If not, she will have to complete form CMS-40B

and have the employer complete form CMS L564

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Medicare rule on the subject -

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/how-do-i-get-parts-a-b/part-a-part-b-sign-up-periods 

To sign up for Part B, complete an Application for Enrollment in Part B (CMS-40B).

Special circumstances (Special Enrollment Periods)

You also have an 8-month SEP to sign up for Part A and/or Part B that starts at one of these times (whichever happens first):

• The month after the employment ends
  • The month after group health plan insurance based on current employment ends

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/how-do-i-get-parts-a-b/should-i-get-parts-a-b 

When the employment or employer/union coverage ends:

. . . . You have 8 months to sign up for Part B without a penalty, . . . . . To sign up for Part B while you're employed or during the 8 months after employment ends, complete an  Application for Enrollment in Part B (CMS-40B) and a Request for Employment Information (CMS-L564).

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP