Non Citizen wife survivor benefits

Can my non citizen wife receive survivor benefits when I pass? She does not receive any benefits now and does not have a social security number

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JohnJ85310 wrote:

Can my non citizen wife receive survivor benefits when I pass? She does not receive any benefits now and does not have a social security number

Not enough information to be answered here - make an appointment with your nearest Social Security Office.  Social Security Office Locator 

You do not have to be a citizen to get Social Security benefits but you do have to be eligible to receive them. 

The SS Representative will have to know

• when and where was the marriage.
  • how long you have been living together (married) in the U.S.
  • Does she have a green card?  Or what is her Visa status?

Your spouse may have to contact USCIS -

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) - Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens 

All other conditions also apply for SS Survivior Benefits like her age and whether or not there are any dependent children.

Social Security: Survivor Benefits 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Make Your Move Contest 2021

Enter Today! Ends 10/22/2021. See Official Rules

Trick or teat yourself to a howlin' good time at the Daybreaker Live: A Monster Mash-Up Dance Party, Presented by AARP on Saturday, October 16 from 11am-1pm ET. Register Here! Daybreaker Live: a Monster Mash-Up Dance Party

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health