Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Medicare premiums (with IRMAA) deducted from SS benefit — tax deductible?

Contributor

Medicare premiums (with IRMAA) deducted from SS benefit — tax deductible?

2023 will be my first full year receiving social security, I started very late last year. I have my medicare premiums deducted from my payments, and I elected a 10% voluntary withholding rate.

Looking at my information on ssa.gov, I see they are withholding 10% of the balance after the medicare premium is subtracted. Elsewhere I read that these premiums are only tax-deductible if I itemize, and then only beyond the 7.5% level. I think either I'm heading for an unexpected tax bill for 2023, or I haven't found the full story on taxability of those premiums.

What's the true story? I can imagine it working like the pre-tax payment of my medical premiums when I was working. But then, I have quite the imagination.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

"Elsewhere I read that these premiums are only tax-deductible if I itemize, and then only beyond the 7.5% level."

That is correct.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I believe you are correct that the tax is after deductions.  I have them withholding at a 12% rate.  And it comes out exactly at 12% of my payment after the part b premium is deducted and the part d premium that is automatically withheld from my social security payment.  It appears you are seeing the same thing.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MattC899781 wrote 

Looking at my information on ssa.gov, I see they are withholding 10% of the balance after the medicare premium is subtracted. Elsewhere I read that these premiums are only tax-deductible if I itemize, and then only beyond the 7.5% level.

=============================================

I don’t think your 1st sentence is right - if you elected the % that you want them to withhold, it is based on the whole SS payment before any (Part B) deductions (including any IRMMA) or anything else that is deducted since many people may have their MA premiums or PDP premiums also deducted.  

The 1099 - SSA does give you a total synopsis of the total benefit paid, total Part B premiums (with any IRMMA), other premiums that are deductible and any taxes you have authorized to be deducted.

If you have other income in retirement, the tax on Social Security benefits might be what gets you on your taxes but these aren’t actually income tax since they go back into the SS Trust Fund to help preserve the program.

SSA.gov - Taxes on One’s SS benefit

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP