Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Medicare deductions from Social Security

Super Contributor

Medicare deductions from Social Security

Evenin' all:

I started Social Security at age 70 in September 2021.  I was paying my monthly Medicare premiums by mail before this.  

I received my bill from Medicare for September in August and paid it in August.  I received my bill for October in September and paid that in September.  I received my first Social Security check for September in October and it had September's Medicare payment deducted.  I received my second Social Security check for October in November and it had October's Medicare payment deducted.

By my reckoning, I double paid for September and October but I only got reimburse for one month.

Social security told me that the September Medicare payment wasn't taken out of September's social security and that the deduction from September's check(received in October) was for October.

Does this sound right (that Social Security is paid in arrears but that Medicare is paid in the month I receive the Social Security check)?

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I was on the SSA site just a day or two ago. It specifically pointed out that retirement benefit is paid in arrears and Medicare premium paid in advance.

I’ll try to look that up again.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@fffred wrote:

I was on the SSA site just a day or two ago. It specifically pointed out that retirement benefit is paid in arrears and Medicare premium paid in advance.

I am not finding that - in fact, I can't find it at all on anything government official.  
This https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/will-my-wifes-duplicate-medicare-premiums-be-refunded-automatic... says:

Medicare premiums withheld from the payments are for the month in which the payment is made.

But if you made an advanced quarterly payment for Part B before the 1st SS benefit is issued, you should get a refund of the month(s) which will be overpaid.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks.  If you can find that link I'd be grateful.

On a brighter note, if I die, and get my last social security check for the month I die (a month later), I should get a refund from Medicare(?)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sktn77a wrote:

On a brighter note, if I die, and get my last social security check for the month I die (a month later), I should get a refund from Medicare(?)

Something else to ponder 😛  But by that time, it might be a BIG amount !  Let's figure it out so I can give my beneficiary instructions.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Sorry I didn't close the loop on this last year.  What fffred said is true:  Medicare is paid in advance while SS is paid in arrears.  So, bottom line is, if you are paying Medicare by mail, DO NOT pay for the month your Medicare starts (or the month after, as you will get a bill for that, too), regardless of when you get the bill!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP