Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Married, filed joint return, wife got stimulus, husband didn't...why and how do we pursue this???

Contributor

Married, filed joint return, wife got stimulus, husband didn't...why and how do we pursue this???

My husband and I both received the first stimulus check without issue.  We have been on SSID for the last 4 years and receive auto deposit in our accounts every month. The first check came as a paper check and not direct deposit, not sure why, but at least we got it. The second check is the issue here. I got my check (EIC) around the first part of January. When I had used the calculator before I got my payment, it read the same for both of us. BOTH of us were to receive the payment around 1/4/20. When I got my EIC card in the mail, his didn't come. I checked the calculator again, and now it read that there is a problem with his payment and it is being looked into. I called the IRS and they told me that if he didn't get his by the end of January, he needed to include it in his tax return. We don't file a tax return since we have no earned income, but we do get our SSI checks through electronic deposit every month, so they have our bank information.

I could give you more details, but I don't get this. Why when we file a joint return, should I get a payment, but not my husband? Why would he qualify for the first payment and not the second one? His income didn't increase or change in any way. Why did the calculator say he was getting a payment at the same time I was one time, and then when we check it again, it says there is a problem? They told me he has to file a 1040SA since we don't file income tax, but why does he have to do all of this when we file a joint return and I didn't have to do any of this? 

I sure hope someone reads this and can help us with some answers.....

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Retired Community Manager

@DorisB24065 While I cannot speak for the IRS and explain why your husband's payment didn't show up, I can confirm that anyone missing a payment will need to file taxes to claim it. We go over this here: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2021/how-to-claim-stimulus-on-tax-return.html

View solution in original post

Regular Social Butterfly

From my research there is NO reason WHY I received NO $600 yet my wife received her $600 on Jan 4.  I received my $1200 last May via direct deposit.  Was told to record the $600 on Line 30 of my 2020 Form 1040 to get MY $600. While I have to wait, at least I will get it!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

We don't file due to no earned income but they have our bank information due to SSI payment every month..they said to file a 1040 SA but I was wondering why this would happen and if anyone was successful in getting their money?!?! Where do I get this form??? How long ago did you file and did you get your money yet?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DorisB24065 

1.  Social Security Administration does NOT share your banking info with the IRS.  So the only way the IRS gets direct deposit info is if you file a tax return and get your refund via your own bank account.  So that is why they sent you & hubby a check in 2020 - it should have been $1200 each or $2400 for both of you.  Was it?

2.  As to why your hubby did not get the $600 stimulus in check form just like you did and that they (IRS) are seeing a (?) problem I can only guess (see below).

3.  Also, I do not know what a 1040 SA is - sure that is the right number?  There is a Form 1040, Form 1040A, and Form 1040EZ. The correct version just depends upon a number of factors mainly dealing with the size and types of your income and the various tax deductions and credits you claim.

My guesses - without more info - that's all I can do is guess.

• It is the amount of your total income that determines if you have to file a tax return or not - NOT just "earned" income.  UN-earned income, unless specifically in a tax-exempt status, also counts toward the total taxable income.  So maybe he does need to file a tax return if the IRS is showing some type of 1099- interest, 1099-dividend, capital gains, retirement distribution, etc. but yet no tax return is filed. They are still using the last tax return - for Tax Year 2019.  So double check if he needs to file a tax return.
  • Did he get any sort of tax credit subsidy for health insurance in 2019?  That too, has to be reported on a tax return - the IRS would know about this too and is expecting a tax return to reconcile the subsidy.
  • Would he happen to owe any back child support - that's one of the reasons the IRS won't send it.

There could be any number of reasons he didn't get it - even lost in the mail or delayed in the mail.  But you seem to be saying that the IRS says there is some problem with him being issued one ?  Now they could have just been giving you a canned, simple answer - who knows.   OR, they are looking at income reports on him and thinks he should file a tax return to report this income.

You can always call the office of your US Congresscritter - they have staff that can help you figure it out.

Gorm is right, if your husband is eligible for it, it can be claimed on the 2020 tax return and then it is issued as a refund and if he wants it to go to the bank account, give them that info on the tax return and it is auto deposited into that account.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DorisB24065 

I am still a bit confused about your/and hubby tax filing status - because in the heading of your post you say "Married, filed joint return . . . "

Then you said in your initial post :  "We don't file a tax return . . . ." and then in the same post said " Why when we file a joint return, . . . . " and again at the end of this initial post:  "They told me he has to file a 1040SA since we don't file income tax, but why does he have to do all of this when we file a joint return "

So what is your filing status and did you/your hubby file a tax return whether MFJ or otherwise?  My reply to you 02-06-2021 10:06 PM is still pertinent but there might some other considerations if you did file a tax return separate or MFJ.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a post ready to put up but it's not allowing me Post-it. I tried to send it in a private message and it gave me the same error message. So I have a help ticket it in see if they can get it posted for me or tell me what's wrong with it cuz it keeps saying that change the highlighted it doesn't highlighted so I don't know what to do I just letting you know that I'm trying to get a response to you

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Post it as plain text and then edit it if you need to add a link or HTML. 

In the meantime, here are a few articles that talk about the problem and the solutions: Some of them might apply - check them out.

FORBES 01/17/2021 - Where’s My $600 Stimulus Check? 7 Reasons It Hasn’t Arrived Yet 

CNBC 01/07/2021 - ‘Status Not Available:’ IRS says these taxpayers won’t receive second stimulus che... 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Lots of readers but one replies..that's telling me that not to many are experiencing this or no answers to my questions...LOL Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did you pursue your spouses money??? I would like to know what you did..thanks!!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

@DorisB24065 While I cannot speak for the IRS and explain why your husband's payment didn't show up, I can confirm that anyone missing a payment will need to file taxes to claim it. We go over this here: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2021/how-to-claim-stimulus-on-tax-return.html

Contributor

read this already filed taxes put down the 600 he didnt received now he has not gotten the third ck and I did

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP