Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

MN tax on social security

The MN Senate just passed a proposed bill that eliminates state taxes on all social security benefits. This would be huge for MN seniors. Why isn't AARP lobbying for this?  The House may not pass it and Waltz may not sign it. AARP should be front and center pushing this.  Where are you?

Bud H

0 Kudos

AARP Minnesota needs to get on this.  I just moved from Wisconsin (which doesn't tax SS) to Eagan, Minnesota to be closer to our children.  It's nice but if by moving 25 miles East I won't get taxed on my social security we may be moving again.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

My understanding is that it has passed and been signed by the governor.  Whoohoo!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't think that's correct. It is part of the proposed tax bill that has been agreed to but not passed. It requires a special session to get congress back to pass it and move it to Walz.  AARP needs to push for the special session.  Voters need to lobby their state legislators to come back and finish what they started.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Here is the link where on the governor's website stating she has signed HB163 and what is included, of interest here, repeal of income taxes on Social Security income.

https://www.governor.state.nm.us/2022/03/08/governor-enacts-tax-cuts-for-new-mexico-seniors-families...

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm happy for you all in New Mexico. However, you'll notice my subject is MN tax on Social Security. We in Minnesota are not yet as fortunate as you. We still need a special session for our state congress to finish its job.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Since MN is doing this now - there are ONLY (11) other states remaining that tax SS at all - 

What took y'all so long?  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP