Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Learn, Earn & Discuss Social Security - Can I Collect While Working?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Learn, Earn & Discuss Social Security - Can I Collect While Working?

Can you begin collecting Social Security while working?  Find out  https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6146329290001/am-i-entitled-to-my-ex-spouse-s-social-security? and you can also earn AARP Rewards points! Not signed up for AARP Rewards yet? Click here!  

Share what you learned from this video that you didn't know before!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

i get SSDI & still worked but they lowered the amount accordingly. as for Social Security i don't know. all i know is in order to get SS you have to have 40 credits from working over your lifetime. my job came to an end several months ago, i'll never have another & yet all i have is 37 credits. can i get SS on that is debatable.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@PaulH627938 

@fffred is correct - IF you are on SSDI rather than SSI then that means you have a SS benefit and at FRA it just converts from SSDI to SS retirement - same amount cause under SSDI you are getting your full benefit.

However, your "work" could be a problem depending on how much you can and do work - your work if you are paying into the SS system via payroll deduction could increase your benefit slightly.  But on the other hand, if you can work it could also stop your SSDI benefits for a period or forever depending upon the amount and nature of the work  - only you and SSA know your situation.  This pamphlet from SSA explains it. 

SSA.gov - 2021 Working While Disabled: How We Can Help  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I started my SSA when I turned 62 which was higher than my weekend second job which I could quit after 20 years, now at 66 and have disabilities I can't get SSDI or SSI to help with bills since my UI has been stopped because I didn't work from March 2020 to March 2021, duhh it was Covid time, now I have to go back to work to pay rent and bills. I know a former co worker who's in a wheelchair who gets both SSA and SSDI and can work a few days, Also when both married persons are getting their SSA and not working, when one dies the survivor can't still receive the deceased SSA in order to continue to live w/o being in poverty. I know a former co worker who's getting her SSA and her deceased husband's SSA, which should be the rule not an exception. Why can't SS help those of us that need the money to live w/o depending on family?

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@PaulH627938 

Not a SSDI expert here but my understanding is that if you are approved for SSDI (disability) this then converts automatically to the Social Security old age (retirement) benefit, even if you haven't met the usual "10 years". In this case your retirement benefit stays the same as your disability benefit.

I have read this in the past and this morning my brief Google search led me to these three publications from the SSA, they all seem to indicate the treatment I described. The last doc (10153) states "When you reach full retirement age If you’re receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same."

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10035.pdf

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10153.pdf

Good luck!

Social Butterfly

Can you still earn AARP reward points if you are collecting social security?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP