Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

FOR THOSE WHO ARE COLLECTING BENEFITS AND HAD NOT HAD TO FILE TAXES.

Trusted Contributor

FOR THOSE WHO ARE COLLECTING BENEFITS AND HAD NOT HAD TO FILE TAXES.

Check the Where's my Payment.  Yesterday, they had the site down for a few hours while they inputted information.

Checked this morning and although the IRS said you would receive the check the same way you get your benefits, that appears not to be the case.

I collect SSDI, have not filed taxes in three years, PLUS I have my SSDI direct deposited every month.  They said they would be getting our information from our SSA-1099s (which confused me) since my SSA-1099 only has my ss number and the amount of money I received last year in total.

So I expect that all who get benefits but have not filed taxes, WILL BE RECEIVING A PAPER CHECK LIKE ME.

Check the status today and you will have a date.  Mine said.  YOUR CHECK WILL BE MAILED OUT ON MAY 1ST.  So at least you have an idea of when you are getting it.

BUT EXPECT IT TO BE A PAPER CHECK MAILED TO YOU, SO DO NOT ASSUME IT IS A SCAM.  IT WILL BE A REAL CHECK.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm on SSDI n get direct deposit, I recieved my monthly payment  but still no stimulus payment..  the portal is just telling me not avalible..I JUST DONT UNDER STAND..   :'( 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MelanieF757557  wrote

I'm on SSDI n get direct deposit, I recieved my monthly payment  but still no stimulus payment..  the portal is just telling me not avalible..I JUST DONT UNDER STAND..   :'( 

============================================================

I explained it to you and others here:

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Social-Security/HAS-THE-IRS-SCREWED-SOMETHING-UP-WITH-THE-STIMULUS/td-... 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It's also funny how they give a link to the "non-filers" to use but the first thing it says on that portal is ..,.

Do NOT continue here if:
You receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivor benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Veterans Affairs benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment.

It's clear that it is just another stall tactic.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It's also funny how they give a link to the "non-filers" to use but the first thing it says on that portal is ..,.

Do NOT continue here if:
You receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivor benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Veterans Affairs benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment.

It's clear that it is just another stall tactic.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Can someone please help me on my question? My parents are receiving SSI and I claimed them as dependents on my tax returns. Do they still qualify for stimulus check? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@UltraR793791  wrote

Can someone please help me on my question? My parents are receiving SSI and I claimed them as dependents on my tax returns. Do they still qualify for stimulus check? Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Individuals with little to no income or those on a means-tested federal benefits, such as SSI, ARE eligible for a recovery rebate so long as they are NOT the dependent of another taxpayer and have a work-eligible SSN.

Contributor

Based on what has been issued on the irs.gov website, the $500.00 is only for underage dependents, under 17 years old. My nephew did not get it for his 18 year old daughter.

I wish they did because another one of my nephews claimed my sister and she did not get it either.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Maybe this article in the Washington Post today will help with clarity OR present more confusion.

Washington Post Business 04/27/2020 - Key Dates for the next set of Stimulus Money 

part of the info in the link:

If youโ€™re still waiting on your $1,200 stimulus check, here are key dates for the next set of payments Social Security recipients may start seeing payments by April 29. SSI and Veterans Affairs benefit recipients who donโ€™t file a tax return and have dependent children need to act by May 5 to claim the $500-per-child stimulus payment.

Read the rest at the link above

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

That is all so funny because today it said this .. "Those who receive Social Security retirement or disability benefits, SSDI or Railroad Retirement benefits but did not file a return for 2019 or 2018 will automatically receive a payment in the near future"

What the hell does that even mean "the near future"? Sounds like bullcrap to me, I'll bet you all them idiots sitting in all those "seats" all got their money already if not first and hell, half of those people are just about dead anyway.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I read briefly somewhere that the IRS was doing paper checks according to a schedule which I did not save.

but basically those who were getting $10,00 or less would be the first group
Those getting $20,000 in benefits would be the second group.

I checked again this morning and it has the same information. That I will have a paper check mailed to me on May 1, 2020 using the last known address the IRS has on file. Luckily, I have not moved in years so they have the right address and I checked my last tax filing I did on turbo tax (which also had my dd information) and I have the right address down to my apt. number so feel better about that.

Odd, since they were supposed to be updating it yesterday, that you are getting that response.
0 Kudos
Contributor

"f youโ€™re still waiting on your $1,200 stimulus check, here are key dates for the next set of payments Social Security recipients may start seeing payments by April 29. SSI and Veterans Affairs benefit recipients who donโ€™t file a tax return and have dependent children need to act by May 5 to claim the $500-per-child stimulus payment."

How would the washington post know this? Do they have a direct line into the IRS?
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Do you just like to argue for the sake of it. ONLY those who receive SSDI but have filed taxes in 2018 or 2019 will be receiving it dd. People on SSDI who have not had to file taxes are getting a paper check. It does not matter what it says on the IRS site bc I also thought mine would be dd.

Plus our SSA-1099 forms have an additional SM after it on bottom of the statement so it is a different type of form for them to distinguish.

Seriously, is the world going to stop turning if you get a darn check instead of dd. You will have to see for yourself.

I guess you do less reading than most of us bc many of us realize now that people on SSDI who have not filed taxes are getting it via check.

Mine is being MAILED OUT on may 1st.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

First I heard of that "paper check" thing, I have been told every day that mine will be direct deposit to my Direct Express card by everyone except you, how is that?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Every day, even now, it says on the IRS site that those receiving SS, SSDI, SSI or VA would get their check money the exactly way they get their benefits, whether it be dd or the direct express card and that we did not need to do anything. Just because it states that on their site, it didn't happen.

Mine again continues to say a paper check will be mailed out on May 1, 2020. So you cannot go by what the IRS site says (I mean even now knowing from another board that those who are receiving SSDI and did not file taxes for 2018 or 2019) are still getting paper checks and obviously the IRS does not even acknowledge that that is happening.

So I am getting a paper check mailed out tomorrow but I expected it after hearing from others on SSDI that they are getting a paper check and because it had stated that on 4/25 (after they did maintenance and updated that.) Before that all it said was I requested Direct Deposit. Then when I checked after they updated it, it told me I was getting a paper check.

Not sure why those who get SS benefits are getting it dd, and we are not, but it is what it is and I don't make the rules. But out forms, as I have pointed out, are a a bit different because at the bottom of those who get SSDI benefits, it says SSA-1099 Form (SM). The people who get SS benefits do not have the SM added to their 1099 so that is how I am assuming they distinguish those getting SSDI as opposed to SS benefits.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I get SSDI via direct deposit for close to three years now and like the IRS site said, we did not have to do anything and we would get the money the same way we get our benefits. The IRS and the SSA are two different entities.

But since you have a direct express card, are you GETTING SSI, AND NOT SSDI. I am ONLY taking about the SSDI. Anyway, you can check today and easily find out.

So for whatever reason, which I think the Treasury realized it was way too much of a task, people on SSDI are getting paper checks UNLESS, FOR WHATEVER REASON, THEY DID FILE TAXES in 2018 OR 2019 bc then the IRS immediately has their banking information UNLESS they owed money.

So I did not file taxes for 2018 and 2019, and am on SSDI, I got notification after they updated the IRS "Get my payment" link and it tells me now a paper check will be mailed out on May 1, 2020 and they will e using the information from the last time I filed and what they have on file for me.

Luckily, I did taxes in 2017 and have NOT moved. It appears from all I have read on different sites, that those who are getting SSDI ONLY and HAVE NOT done taxes for several years will be getting a paper check. The problem is that if you moved, the Treasury will not have that new address information so it may take longer.

You can go to the Get My Payment link on the IRS site (just google it and it should bring you there) and fill out the small basic information and you will be able to see when you are getting it and how it is coming.

They updated it again yesterday so you should be able to see if you are getting a check also. but I expect you will be getting a paper check also. For those who are getting it DD, it will say so on the site and also list the last four digits of your checking account.

0 Kudos
Contributor

"ONLY those who receive SSDI but have filed taxes in 2018 or 2019 will be receiving it dd."

Where does it say that on the IRS's web site?

0 Kudos
Contributor

How does anyone get past the question or f amounts paid or received to get a deposit date. Or is there another web site?

0 Kudos
Contributor

"I collect SSDI, have not filed taxes in three years, PLUS I have my SSDI direct deposited every month.  They said they would be getting our information from our SSA-1099s (which confused me) since my SSA-1099 only has my ss number and the amount of money I received last year in total."

But that's the same situation that people who receive regular Social Security are in.

Their SSA-1099's don't list their banking information either yet they are receiving their payments by direct deposit.

How is the IRS getting their direct deposit information?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Go on the IRS site and do the Get my payment. On 4/24 it had for me I had requested direct deposit. They then shut it down for maintenance and to update new information.

When it was completed on 4/25, this is what it said and this is what it says today. Go onto that site and put in your info and if you are getting direct deposit, it will look different and it will have the four last digits of your banking info.

I have been getting SSDI ONLY for three years, so no taxes done for 2018 or 2019.

"Payment Status
We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 01, 2020 to the address we have on file for you.

We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment."
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP