Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Does social security income count towards the Social Security Income Limit

Contributor

Does social security income count towards the Social Security Income Limit

Hello,

Does social security income count towards the Social Security Income Limit?

I believe the limit is currently $1896.00. When calculating my income to make sure I do not go beyond this amount, do I need to count my SSI in that total?

Thanks

0 Kudos

I think when Julie says SSI she when means Social Security Income.

Not "SSI" supplemental security income. She is just abbreviating.

I have the same question!

ANSWER:  After some googling I have come to believe that earned income does NOT include social security checks.  So when they say that one who is receiving social security (early retirement) they can earn up to $19,000 or so -- that does not include social security checks.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is correct. For a few years I'd been under the wrong impression!  AARP might write about this...myths of retirement. For me after I turn 66 -- there are no restrictions on earning.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes the earnings limit is only applicable for EARNED income - W-2 wages or Self-employed.

If those type of earning (in 2022) exceed $ 19, 560 AND one is LESS THAN FULL RETIREMENT AGE (it changes some for the year that one reaches FRA ) and then completely goes away after FRA.

SSA.gov Special Earnings Limit Rule

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

“do I need to count my SSI in that total?”

@JulieO434148 If the income you’re referring to is SSI you should know that SSI is a different program than SS or SSDI which are both subject to the $18960 cap you mention.

Bronze Conversationalist

@JulieO434148 I am providing a link to SS Benefits Planner. https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/whileworking.html#h0 The last two paragraphs address your question. You only count wages you earn from your job or your net profit if you're self-employed. You do not count your SS benefits.  

Regular Social Butterfly

Good to read this for 2022; major changes for some: Fact Sheet: Social Security 

Hope there's a previous link somewhere on AARP.org, as they are supposed to provide info and help us...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP