Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Divorced spouse benefits for non-citizen

Contributor

Divorced spouse benefits for non-citizen

Hello all:

Hoping to get some advice from someone who is, or has been in a similar situation. I’m 64 years & 3 months old, not planning on retiring for 3-5 years. I am currently married to my second wife who is about ten years younger. She is planning on working for a few years more as well. No issues for her and I.

But, my first wife is a non-citizen, and lives in her native country now. We were married for 13-14 years, she’s not married now. But she only worked and paid into Social Security for a few months while living in the US- mostly she took care of all the household duties while we were married. She hardly participated in the equivalent system for retirement in her country, so as retirement age approaches it’s not looking good.

It's my understanding that she fulfills all the criteria to be able to get Social Security benefits as a divorced spouse based on my eligibility - https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/applying7.html

So, how does she get the ball rolling without being in the United States? She knows her SS#, but can’t find the actual card. The website wants a US address when attempting to sign in. Are there lawyers/volunteers who can advise and assist with the paperwork? Anyone been through this recently who could perhaps share some tips in the forum. (Or email?)

Thanks,

JL

Honored Social Butterfly

Think your questions can be answered here:

AARP updated 02/06/2020 - Can someone who's not a U.S. citizen receive ex-spousal benefits?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

Thanks a bunch, that link and some of links on that page handle just about all the questions.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP