Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Divorced Spouse Benefits

My ex-husband and I have been divorced 20+ years and I have not remarried. I understand I can claim spousal benefits on his record, but he has to be eligible for benefits. I'll be 65 next year and he'll be 61. My question is, can I apply to receive benefits on his record when he's 62 or do I have to wait until he actually starts receiving benefits himself?

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@PeggyO504905 

See the SS website, https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/applying7.html#h4

This page discusses benefits for a divorced spouse.

That page says "If you have not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, your ex-spouse can receive benefits on your record if you have been divorced for at least two continuous years."

So the two important considerations for you are (1) ex-spouse does not need to be actually collecting their SS benefit at the time you collect and (2) if in such case you have been divorced for at least the 2 years they describe...which you meet.

Good luck.

Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP