Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Can I file for spousal benefits then switch to my own social security benefits at Normal Retirement

Contributor

Can I file for spousal benefits then switch to my own social security benefits at Normal Retirement

My husband's full retirement age: 5-30-20, My full retirement age: 11-2-20
If I file for a Spousal Benefit on 5-30-20 when my husband files for Social Security can I switch and file for my own Social Security Benefit 11-2-20? Will I receive my Full Retirement Benefit even though I filed for a Spousal Benefit before I reached my full retirement age?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JaneP527606 wrote:

My husband's full retirement age: 5-30-20, My full retirement age: 11-2-20
If I file for a Spousal Benefit on 5-30-20 when my husband files for Social Security can I switch and file for my own Social Security Benefit 11-2-20? Will I receive my Full Retirement Benefit even though I filed for a Spousal Benefit before I reached my full retirement age?

Only if you were borned BEFORE January 4, 1954 -

You will not be able to do this because of the "deemed filing" rule.  This rule is already in place for those less than FRA and in January 2020, it become effective for those of FRA..

I will give you two sources to read -

AARP 10/10/2018 - Can I collect spousal benefits and wait until I am 70 to collect my own Social Sec...

Then from Social Security:  Read it all, I am only printing some important areas for you -

Social Security.gov - Benefit Planner: Deemed Filing For Retirement And Spouse’s Benefits FAQs

Q:  What are the new rules for deemed filing resulting from the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015?

Deemed filing means that when you file for either your retirement or your spouse’s benefit, you are required or “deemed” to file for the other benefit as well. Deemed filing rules already apply when you file for either your retirement or your spouse’s benefit and you are before full retirement age (FRA).

(see the "red" part in the next question)

What is the effective date for the new rules on deemed filing resulting from the Bipartisan Budget Act?

The new rules for deemed filing are effective immediately for individuals who turn 62 on or after January 2, 2016. An individual born on January 2, 1954 will reach his or her full retirement age (66) in 2020. Therefore, January 2020 is the first month deemed filing will apply to someone who reaches FRA. Until that time, deemed filing will only apply to those below FRA.

If you and your husband have figured your respective FRA, then if you were to do this on his date of retirement - SS would run the numbers  - if you file for your spousal benefits and he files for his FRA retirement benefit on the same date.  For you, they would see which way you came out better -

• they would figure your spousal benefit at 1/2 of his FRA benefit with a modification for the (6) months you are short of your FRA.
  • they would then compare it to your own benefit, again with a slight deduction for those (6) months or so that you are short of your FRA.

You would get whichever is larger. 

Now if you wait until your FRA to file for your benefit - they would still perform this same analysis to see which one is larger - your own or your spousal - but this time there would be no (early) adjustment because you will be FRA.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP