Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Automatic deduction of Medicare premiums from Social Security?

Super Contributor

Automatic deduction of Medicare premiums from Social Security?

I turn 70 in September and will start taking my Social Security benefits at that time.  For the last 5 years, I've been paying my Medicare premiums by mail.  Will Social Security automatically start deducting my Medicare premiums from my monthly check or is there something I need to do in order to start getting them deducted automatically?  I've scoured the Social Security website but found nothing and, of course, was put on infinite hold on the phone.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@sktn77a 

When you sign up to start your benefits you should get a letter from Social Security showing you the amount you will get and what will be withheld. If it doesn't show as you want it to, then contact your local office. If you have a supplement policy, then you will have to let SS know how you want that paid. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It should be done automatically when your benefits start - however a word of caution - know what (months) you have paid for and what month(s) they are beginning the deduction from your benefit - just to keep things straight - cause getting back any over-paid premiums is a nightmare.  

Personally, I would rather owe them than them owing me - know what I mean.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

"If you have a supplement policy, then you will have to let SS know how you want that paid."

I don't think SS does anything with Medicare part B or D supplement policies (?)  That's between you and the insurance company (?)

But I'll keep an eye open for that letter!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Below is an example image of what may show in the letter when you get it. There will be other information in the letter too.

AARPSSwithholdings.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@sktn77a 

Your Part B premiums will always be deducted from your SS benefit once you start getting SS.

They will also deduct Part D Premiums, a Medicare Advantage premium (sometimes they are combined if the PDP (prescription drug plan) is within the Medicare Advantage plan (called a MAPD - Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug).

You do have to request the MA and/or Part D premium be deducted.

Medicare Part B is always deducted if you get an SS benefit and have Part B.

A supplemental Medicare policy (Medigap plan) premium -  only applicable if you have Traditional Medicare and not a Medicare Advantage plan - I don't know.

Medicare.gov - Medicare Publication #11400: Withholding Medicare Prescription Drug Premiums from You... 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

"You do have to request the ........... Part D premium be deducted."

Ah, OK, I'll look out for that.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP