Community Manager
Community Manager

Share Your Exercise Tips

We all need to move and we know it but do you make time for it daily?  weekly?  Share tips with others on how to make it a habit.  What works for you?

Read how the pandemic made this woman rethink about her love for running:  

https://www.sistersletter.com/me-time/freedom-to-run

AARPTeri

Other Points to Ponder are Regular visits to the FOOT DR! Choose Your SOCKS&SHOES wisely! When it come to WALKING/HIKING it pays to not ever CHEAP out on FOOTCARE,PROPER SOCKAGE&FOOTWARE! What is Your FOOTBED&PLATFORM? HAPPY TRAILS&PATHWAYS to FITNESS!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I hike and bicycle almost every day.  I go out in the morning and then in the afternoon.  Being outside, especially in the woods, is relaxing to me and also stress relieving.  I am currently overweight but I am in a program where you learn to change your relationship with food.  So far so good.  I don't know what I would do if I could not exercise.  

0 Kudos

I am a 61 y/o woman and have been swimming since I was a child. We have a pool and I swim daily in almost every weather. Air temp is presently around 60° and the pool temperature is 82°.

My husband and I work out 2 to 3 times a week at a local center and he spent hours outside on our hunting land.

Stay active!

Regular Contributor

I am 75 and I walk a couple of miles every day, I jog too and run some 5k races. I ride my horse and lift a heavy saddle and hay bales and feed sacks along with taking care of a lawn and 8 acres. I have a dog and 2 horses. All of that keeps me moving! I have been blessed by my Lord and Savior to be able to continue to do the things I enjoy.

I live in a very mobile city, so it is not too hard to stay fit. We have subways and buses. I have to climb stairs and run for trains. When I am feeling a little lazy, I walk around my neighborhood or go to the park where there are hills and inclines to work up a sweat.

I'm also a performer, so I tend to expend a lot of energy during performances, but I prepare by doing an intense 20 mins workout (squats, push ups, crunches, lunges) along with youtube videos and some high energy music that I enjoy. 

I feel so much better when I exercise. Sometimes I walk about a mile in my neighborhood. Since the weather is sometimes too hot or rainy, I have added Youtube walks to my routines.

I'm grateful to my primary care doctor for suggesting that I not use the weather as an excuse.

For most of my 90 years I have walked here, there and everywhere.  My husband has dementia and as his only caregiver walking helps me to burn off the angst I get into now and then.  My friends and family tell me I look about 70 years old. and I put it down to walking most days.

Contributor

I incorporated some of the exercises that the physical therapist showed me after my hip surgery.  I also found out that squats, weights and stretches are important.  That is my usual routine plus I add a variety of you tube or Aarp  fitness offerings.  I probably do about an hour each day.

Contributor

Start of the day begins with a 2-5 mile walk followed by resistance bands, yoga or weight for 30 mins. Some nights do strength or yoga. 

Contributor

Before the pandemic, I enjoyed daily visits to a Jazzercise membership exercise studio not far from home, often riding my bike to get warmed up. The studio went on hiatus for Covid safety precautions early on and then in June began to live stream classes from the empty studio for us to join in safely from home.

For their own motivation, the instructors put life size cutouts of Justin Timberlake, Captain Jack Sparrow and others in the places where we would be exercising and kept us all safe at home, in our own spaces, staying fit. They've since opened the studio to 10 students (marked out in 10' x 10' floor squares and wearing masks) but there's no way I'd risk that.

In July we moved out of state and the nearest studio was 45 minutes away - not going to happen. Soooo, I continue to enjoy the live streaming classes from my hometown even though I'm now 6 hours away. And I never have to fight traffic or even get 'decent' looking! Local monthly membership also includes access to the national live streaming classes. All in all, there are 3-4 classes available daily to fit varied schedules and they're stored online for a ready-when-you-are instant streaming workout too.

I probably sound like a commercial, but it's what's kept me sane. I let Jazzercise be the one constant in all this chaos by hitting the 7:30am live classes daily. It's fun to connect, get moving and feel good about myself (at least for that hour). And the endorphins carry my head and body through the day on a positive note. Breathe everyone, this (Covid) too, shall pass. 

Regular Contributor

My husband and I walk four miles in the morning and I do four more miles thur out the day.To keep my muscles fit I lift weights three times a week and do yoga couple times a week. Have to keep moving as you grow older.

Contributor

Lots of YouTube videos to find any kind of exercise you choose. Especially if you are stuck indoors for any reason.

Regular Contributor

If you have even a bit of a competitive streak, try a FitBit, or other step counter.

I've used mine for the last two years, and "compete" with one of my sisters, a friend, and a daughter-in-law for "steps" per day.  I find it really works.  

Even if you don't like competing with others, it's a also a personal motivator - I can see the graph of my weeks' steps, see how many steps I average a day, and I've lost 20 pounds pretty effortlessly over the past two years.  It motivates me to move more (I either walk or ride my bike or play tennis), and reach at least 10,000 steps per day (I know from the research that 10,000 is not a scientific number, but it works for me as a goal). 

Jan Cullinane, author, The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement (AARP/Wiley)  

Regular Contributor

I walk my dog when I am not too tired. So, most days in the week I get about 30-60 minutes of intermittent walking. I sit down when I get winded or my back hurts.
Honored Social Butterfly

I get outside for an early walk each day.  45-60 minutes.

Then I later go for a bike ride with my son.  Or we walk again in the evenings.

Plus a new puppy requires more walking.   

I've started lifting weights now.  My upper arms feel weaker than when I was younger.   Just dumbbells, nothing fancy.

Trusted Contributor

For years I've been walking daily while listening with headphones to books on my iPhone. Recently it has become dangerous to walk through my neighborhood, as armed robbery is sharply increasing. I get it, people are desperate for money, but it has become scary! So now I am walking with a friend, or in a park where there are more people around. I try to walk up hills and to walk for at least 75-90 minutes to get enough exercise, but since switching to teaching (piano) online, I have less time for exercise. Some days I do a shorter workout with Youtube videos, but I love to be outside, and listening to books or music makes it really fun. I look forward to heaaring how others are exercising during the pandemic. 

Regular Contributor

Work out like a 30-year-old and never, ever let yourself get out of shape in the first place!

Honored Social Butterfly

My exercise of choice (when I exercise) is my stationary bike and basement treadmill.  I really have no excuse not to exercise since I have all the equipment I need right in my home.  Feeling a bit guilty. So guess I'll get on that bike and take a quick ride tight now.