Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you spent more time outside enjoying nature?

Studies have shown that natural environments have therapeutic and health-boosting effects. One concluded that with just 20 minutes connected to nature, stress hormones dropped.

Have you spent more time outside enjoying nature this year?  How did it make you feel?

Read more about thishere: https://www.sistersletter.com/health/doing-this-when-i-wake-up-boosts-energy-mood-focus-and-sleep-qu...

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

https://www.thediabeteself.net/supplements/glucotype-2-review-what-is-it/  has been used in medicine since ancient times, and today it’s still valued. It is applied to treat various health issues, diabetes among them. Licorice normalizes cholesterol level in the blood, prevents atherosclerosis, and relieves the symptoms of diabetes. It also prevents depression and has tonic properties.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have spent most of my time in my backyard, which is my haven. I have an ancient Oak, a birdbath, three bird feeders, and chimes. I love my haven, so I spend most of my time there with my dog, Jagger. He loves all the wildlife, as I do.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes spouse got furloughed back in april so every day we can and the federal park is open we travel there 8 miles to walk the trails. there are deer, seals, and all kinds of other animals and birds. some parts of the trails are a little challenge but if we go everyday we try to do both trails. when the park closed we started walking along the perimeter of the golf course that is open space here in RI. fishermen are now taking over the federal park but with my handicap placard we can at least find a place for 45 mins so we can walk every day. also have bikes that we enjoy riding but so much of our farm town is now being developed so not able to ride but just around streets where we live.

love winter the best because we can dress in layers, gloves, hats, spikes and trekking poles to maneuver on the icy trails.  he now works one week a month so we still have 3 + weeks to walk.

keep safe

0 Kudos

I have a trailhead two doors down at the end of my street.  I try to hike 4 to 5 miles every other day at least.  Beautiful year round, but wildflowers in the spring make it even more interesting.

0 Kudos
Contributor

YES! We've been walking quite a bit in recent months in preparation for hiking in Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. Boy, we were certainly glad we did! We enjoyed the flat trails, but we tackled the hike to the Delicate Arch which was a bit more challenging. What a sight to see! Glad we accomplished this had it not been for all of our walking.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes.   i've been hiking more, biking more.  My son and I made it a goal to bike the entire C&O towpath this summer (in short outings, not overnight due to COVID).  I'd like to do the Great Allegheny Passage next.    And depending on how I feel about staying in a hotel during COVID (still not ready for that), we'd like to do the bike train in Jim Thorpe.  It takes you up the mountain and then you can ride your bike down 25 miles.  A fall trip with the leaves turning would be the best.   Not sure if I can make it happen this year, though.   

Honored Social Butterfly

My excursions into nature go only as far as my front and back yard right now.  I truly enjoy working in the yard--mowing, bush-whacking, tree-trimming and the like.  I also love preparing for the wide variety of birdies who come to my yard's seven or eight bird feeding stations and two bird baths.  Once stocked and set, I take pleasure in watching the birds as they enjoy the area I've set up for them.  And I love relaxing in my back yard when the sun is up yet muted by white fluffy clouds and the sky is blue and the light winds rustle the leaves of the trees and the birds sing.  For me, that is  nature at it's blissful best!

Trusted Contributor

"The results of these studies have shown superior levels of attention, balance and core muscle strength are found in people who have spent above average amounts of time traversing rough, wild places. Those who spent their lives on flat places suffered overall weaker strength and much-reduced sense of balance. This leads the “flatlanders” to being significantly more susceptible to falling and the resultant critical injuries. A U.S. study in 2000 found that 70% of deaths of people over the age of 75 were due to falling."

http://www.charmeasttexas.com/tips_and_advice/the-earth-is-flat/article_fae26074-c916-11e9-975d-bb8a...

Besides the mental improvement obtained from being out in nature there are actual physical benefits to balance, coordination, and core strength. Stuff most of us probably need to improve!

-Mark, the new guy on the block 🙂

www.foragingtexas.com
www.medicinemanplantco.com
YouTube: DrMerriwether
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Introduce yourself and connect with others on similar interests, experiences and needs.
AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health

Let Us Work for You

AARP is your trusted friend and fierce defender. Membership unlocks powerful benefits to help you in your life. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership