The AARP Fraud Resource Center can help you spot and avoid common scams. Visit today!

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reality: "Elder Orphans" - Resources & Discussion

Message 1 of 10

After 8 years of unemployment/early retirement I have learned a lot and never did I imagine retirement would turn out the way it has.  There are so many people who were dumped by their employers and suddenly thrust into a world of uncertainty.  I have been fortunate to have survived the turmoil but life is unpredictable;  I am always aware that disaster can strike at any moment.  My comfort comes from knowing there are many seniors facing the unknown together.

STAIRWAY.gif

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Elder Orphans" - Resources & Discussion

Message 2 of 10

FYI Everyone:

Kiplinger's personal finance magazine has an article about elder orphans in their July issue, titled, "Single But not Alone". The article also appears on their website.

"Money" magazine is also working on an article to address the subject; not sure exactly when it will be published, but I'll try to remember to inform everyone here.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Comment: "Elder Orphans" - Resources & Discussion

Message 3 of 10

This scenario has become a reality for myself.  I never imagined I would be having to face life alone...without a family or friends for moral support.  It is frightening and extremely lonely.  This new phase of life has taught me to rely on faith and to reach out to help others who are experiencing the same.

BELIEVE.gif

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@Soosie wrote:
Thanks for posting, Astraea. I heard my across the street neighbor say just the other day if she should fall or get very sick she may not be found for days. I live alone as well, I have one son in another state. I see such a need for some kind of network to address this problem I have also looked into a group that matches seniors as roommates. There is not one in my area, but I have thought about trying to start something. As I think about it, there would be so many legal and moral issues to address. The idea of a network to do welfare calls might be easier to address.

I still work, so if I don't show up, they would most likely check after a short time. My son calls regularly and the lady across the street has family, but we have both thought about the situation that requires immediate need

We are an aging group in this country. I would love it if some of the posters here would throw out ideas to consider. When I retire, I would like to be involved in solutions for seniors.

Soosie

Hi

Check with the senior services in your town/city. 

Also, you could be proactive and set up a daily call or face time appoint with your son or a friend.

Sounds like a good volunteer idea.. helping other seniors!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

There aren't any villages within 3 hours' drive of where i live, either.

I do have dreams of starting one though. There's a 'toolkit.'  http://www.vtvnetwork.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=691012&module_id=162494

In my spare time. Ha!

Jane

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

Thanks @Jlincoln008; unfortunately there is absolutely nothing on their map remotely close to the Jersey shore area. That's really ironic, in that with a lot of land available, Ocean County has been developed into "senior central", and a few towns have an average population age over 80! That said, due to antiquated zoning codes, those developments aren't integrated into the existing towns/infrastructure, keeping those people car-dependent to do any shopping or go to doctors. I heard just recently that a proposed "integrated community" development was turned down by a town in western Monmouth county, because current residents feared the impact of several thousand new residents on the existing roadways.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Totally agree with you Soosie and Astraea.

I'm excited about the Village movement which starts in neighborhoods and develops a web of support inside a specific geographical area. See here: http://www.vtvnetwork.org/content.aspx?page_id=1905&club_id=691012   This is a map of the ones that are already up and running, or in development, around the USA. The AARP policy institute has looked into thinking there is real potential here. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=aarp%20caregiving.  

If there isn't a village where you are, you can help organize it, and then it will be there for you when you have retired!

There are also those life alert buttons that you can wear as a pendant or around your wrist. of course you'd have to have your wits about you enough to push the button.

What else are you folks thinking?  this is so important.

jane

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@Soosie - I know of towns that have a program where seniors can sign up for a "daily check" phone call, and if they don't answer the call, the police check on them. In one town, they discontinued the program due to cost, but you'd think that if there were a nominal fee for it, people would be willing to pay. With today's technology, it should be easier/cheaper to run a program like this, with the initial daily call being a robo-call, and only non-responses being followed up by a person.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10
Thanks for posting, Astraea. I heard my across the street neighbor say just the other day if she should fall or get very sick she may not be found for days. I live alone as well, I have one son in another state. I see such a need for some kind of network to address this problem I have also looked into a group that matches seniors as roommates. There is not one in my area, but I have thought about trying to start something. As I think about it, there would be so many legal and moral issues to address. The idea of a network to do welfare calls might be easier to address.

I still work, so if I don't show up, they would most likely check after a short time. My son calls regularly and the lady across the street has family, but we have both thought about the situation that requires immediate need

We are an aging group in this country. I would love it if some of the posters here would throw out ideas to consider. When I retire, I would like to be involved in solutions for seniors.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

"Elder Orphans" - Resources & Discussion

Message 10 of 10

"Next Avenue" had an interesting article by Carol Marak on the topic of "Elder Orphans", that included a link to a Facebook Group she set up. It talks about a lot of the topics we've discussed here, and I thought some of our members would like to check out the article & Facebook Group.

In the article, Carol states that, "About 29 percent (13.3 million) of noninstitutionalized older persons live alone. The majority of those are women (9.2 million, vs. 4.1 million men)." Wow!!

Kudos
Views
Replies