Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where Have All The Singles Gone?

Message 11 of 30

Well, I appreciate all of the responses today and I hope to continue to chat with you all again soon. I will have to figure out if my replies are going to the right person....I can't tell on here. I know you've received my replies Astraea, but not sure if Prosecco6247 got my reply.  I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Have a wonderful and safe evening...

siciliangal (christine)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 30

Having a pet is very comforting. I had a black lab but had to give him up a few years ago. I really miss him.  He brought me alot of happiness at a time when things were a bit rough. I don't think I could ever get another pet though...it's too hard to let them go whether it be by death or giving them a new home. Since I was never fortunate enough to have children, having a pet was the closest thing. It's a terrible loss. Now, I just doggie sit for a few friends and neighbors...this way I can enjoy them.

siciliangal (christine)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30

@siciliangal57 - Absolutely! I moved 75 miles south to a small shore town in 2008, and registered on the MeetUp website, to see what kind of activities were available. I found a group of active women >40; some married & some single. They got together for lunch or dinner, went to the movies together, and took turns hosting game nights. It was fun while it lasted, but a problem between 2 of the women caused the group to fall apart. You might check out the website, and you can check of special interests you have .. like walking, hiking, bicycling, going to the movies, etc.

I have several women friends who are divorced or widowed, but I really don't know any men who are on their own; I'm not sure where they vanish to! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30

@siciliangal57 wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but it looks like conversations have subsided as of 1/20/17. Is anyone still interested in conversing?  ...

...So, in case anyone is in the mood for some fun chatting or serious discussions....I'm game! 

@siciliangal57I think most of us here are interested in chatting...whether it's for fun or about more serious topics.  We are essentially a group of singles and the current group was distilled and reconstituted from a previous group called simply "Singles Perspective."  

Even so, you may find a few posters here who make reference to a spouse.  For the record, the rules have been "bent" on several occasions when a curious married poster wanted to join in a particular conversation.  While it's the singles experience we want to elicit for our discussions, participation by married people is not actually disallowed, per se.  I only mention it in the interest of eliminating possible confusion about the group dynamic.

We talk about everything related to being single...and the special issues we face as a result of our single status.  It runs the gamut from the serious, to the humorous, bizarre, special needs, unique situations, housing issues, pets, hobbies, meal prep, singles travel problems, tips, family matters, advice...pick your topic!

We have had a fall-off in participation recently and that can be traced to many factors but we always seem to come back to the fold!

Please feel free to join in any discussion as you have already done so beautifully.  Start a new topic if you feel led to do so.  Someone will be along to comment, I promise you that!

@ASTRAEA , who started the original group, asked where you are located and if there are singles' activities available in your area.  I am in the mid-Atlantic.  While I am not involved in a formal singles' group, I have a number of friends and acquaintances who are single so I can usually find something to do and someone to do it with if I really want to do so.  I downsized a few years ago and live in a townhouse-type condo populated with quite a few older singles.  I continue to socialize with married or partnered friends as well...most have been friends of many years' duration and knew my late husband, so I feel comfortable in this tight-knit circle.  I also have two little doggies who are great company and very entertaining!

Welcome!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

Thanks for replying. I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. Most people go into the city for the nightlife to meet other singles but I'm not into the nightclubs anymore. It's really hard to meet others when there are not too many places to go near home. Most of my friends are married, spend time with children, grandchildren or just don't want to do adventurous things anymore. Plus, I think the winter is hard on people too.....the summer is so much more enjoyable. 

I'm glad no politics are discussed here....I've have enough of them for awhile. Do you find it hard to meet other singles these days?

siciliangal (christine)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

@siciliangal57 - Welcome to the group! Over the years we've lost a lot of members in Singles Perspective, as AARP "upgraded" the website, and it became more complicated to post! Those of us still around have been chatting for so long, it's great to have someone new join & have different topics we might not have thought about.

We stay away from politics here, because there's a "Politics & Current Events" category, where they love to argue constantly.

Where are you located, are there a lot of singles where you live? I live on the Jersey shore, but I'd say this area is mosly familes.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but it looks like conversations have subsided as of 1/20/17. Is anyone still interested in conversing? Not that I have a ton of interesting stories, but, it is nice to meet others outside of Facebook....which is getting really annoying. As far as the politcal views, I agree. I realized early on in the election that people can be very hateful if you don't believe as they do.

When I was growing up...voting was a very personal decision and was never shared with anyone! People kept their votes to themselves. I don't ever remember telling even my family who I voted for. Now, we share it with millions of people through social media. I made a promise to myself that next time I will not be expressing my political views to anyone.... anymore!

So, in case anyone is in the mood for some fun chatting or serious discussions....I'm game! 

siciliangal (christine)
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 30

Hi! It's so nice to see you all in one place again. S&M was so much fun back when I joined. Everyone welcomed me and was so nice. There were a lot of great conversations and advice. Wonder whatever happened to John?

@Soosie...I sure hope you have a good time and this guy turns out to be a trusted friend. Cat Happy

@ASTRAEA...I know what you mean by people who aren't single handing out advice that we don't need. There is one that is like a frustrating germ. She's everywhere on here. I want to move her rocker off the "porch." I could say more but it would have to be in a private message. Cat Frustrated

@Prosecco6247...Mimi, I so agree with Soosie about your writing. You have such a way with words. It's a beautiful thing! Cat Wink

Keep on posting, ladies! N.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 30

@Soosie

OMG!  I am so excited for you!  I'm looking forward to hearing the details of your outing and I wish you and the gentleman all the best!  He probably couldn't believe his good fortune and didn't want to seem over-eager to respond.  Oh, those calls can be so nerve-wracking in the beginning!  Those pats on the back are well-deserved!

Have a wonderful time at the play!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

@Soosie - Hope you have a great time on your date, and enjoy the show!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet