Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Where Have All The Singles Gone?

Message 1 of 30

@Germangirl - Fewer & fewer people were posting regularly, and it became something of a chore to think up new discussion topics!

You're lucky to have found a group like that, with whom to do things! I belonged to a similar group in north Jersey, when I lived there .. they hiked, took walks & went camping, kayaking, etc. Now I'm in a different area, and it's not convenient. When I moved to the Jersey shore, I found a women's group thru Meet-Up, and that was fun for a couple of years .. we'd eat out, have game nights at each other's homes, go to the movies, etc. Then something happened with one of the members, and it kind of split the group apart, and then it folded.

I agree with you, that I think women are more resilient. They also have a network of gal pals with whom they do different things, even when they're married, so if they lose their husband or divorce, they already have a support network & friends. I'm good friends with a male, married former college buddy. He has a handful of male friends with whom he keeps in touch by e-mail & phone, but none live near him, and he never does anything social with male friends.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 30
Did no one reply to your post over a year ago?? Because I also wonder where all the singles go in my area. I just joined "Sisters on the Fly" - goggle it if you haven't heard of it. A group of women (no men, kids or dogs!) do things together. I lost my husband to cancer in 1998 and have found women are survivors and make the most of life. Some men just sit on the couch and grieve when they loss their wives.
I welcome any comments.
Germangirl
Huntsville Texas
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 30

@caroleenh wrote:
I think AARP sort of chased us out with their experts and the dating site. Became too difficult to post and keep track of everyone. Miss the core group. I ran into Richard on Facebook the other day and he felt the same way.

AARP asked if I wanted "Singles Perspective" to be part of their dating program, and I just knew that would come with AARP rules & the group would lose its independence .. so as the group Administrator, I said "thanks, but no thanks!" After seeing the heavy handed way AARP's "dating experts" handled things, I was very grateful they hadn't merged Singles Perspective in with that!!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 30

@caroleenh - I keep my Facebook & AARP accounts separate, and I use a screen name here rather than my real name.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 30
I think AARP sort of chased us out with their experts and the dating site. Became too difficult to post and keep track of everyone. Miss the core group. I ran into Richard on Facebook the other day and he felt the same way.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 30
How do I find your Facebook page? I'd love to reconnect.
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 30

@siciliangal57...Hi, Christine. Welcome!

As Astraea and Mimi know, I'm in the Philly suburbs.

I don't do any social media at all.

I also feel the same way about pets. After my cat died, I just didn't think I could handle any more loss, so never adopted another.

No dating going on here. Most of my friends are also widows or singles and I go out socially with different groups of women friends. Once in a while I go out with married friends, but I always feel like a third wheel.

The AARP community is a great place to discuss anything. There are so many topics to choose from and sometimes the conversations get very lively! Cat LOL Just ask Astraea!

She started this particular group long before I even found the website. I do like to check in here and at a few other groups to see what's going on. I guess I'd have to say TV Talk is my favorite group here on AARP. You get to see familiar names after a while. It's a comfortable place to post almost anything.

So, once again, welcome and we hope to hear more from you. Nancy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 30

@Soosie  Congratulations on your decision to contact your old acquaintance.  I hope that you had a great time at the play and that this relationship might become whatever the two of you decide is appropriate. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 30

@siciliangal57 - Basics about getting replies here: people can set up their profiles 2 ways, to get 2-mail notices of new material in which they've posted ("subscribe"), and to just come & look for new material because they don't want to be bombarded with e-mail notifications.

If you want to make sure one or more people in a discussion are notified that a particular post is directed at them, you can type the @ sign, and you'll get a drop-down box showing all the people who've posted to that discussion. If you click on the one or ones you want, it will show up like yours at the beginning of this post, and the person will be notified that there's a post to them.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 30

Hi Christine,

Yes, I received your replies and I am looking forward to getting to know you here on AARP!  I love Chicago!  I have to say I've never been there in winter though!  I have a daughter who lives there and she's now a confirmed Chicagoan...lol!

There is at least one poster on this particular forum who lives in Chicago...not a singleton, though.  I won't let the cat out of the bag...I'll let the poster make the choice to reveal.

Yes, a pet is quite a responsibility.  It's difficult & expensive to arrange care if one travels much and it takes an emotional toll as they become older and infirm.  I've made the same promise to myself not to have another pet when the dreaded day comes that they are no longer with me.  For now, I just enjoy them and love them like they are fur children!

I know you will settle in nicely here.  I will be looking forward to your posts!  ~  Mimi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark