From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Valentine's Day - Any Plans?

Message 1 of 11

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Do you do anything special for Valentine's Day .. friends, family?

I just got a card from a single cousin, or I probably wouldn't even think about it!

No  I don't even think of it : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

haha, me, too! My Valentines have been my 3 amazing daughters and their families for 20 years.

The only thought I've had about Valentine's Day 2017 is for my newly widowed sister (we lost her wonderful husband last July).

Perhaps someone can chime in with suggestions. My first thought was she needs flowers, that he always, always, always gave her on that day. But then I wonder would that be too painful?

Then I googled and found suggestions for widows such as spa day gift certificates, or offer child care or home repair services. Child care can't do as we're 1K miles apart; home repair doesn't apply as he built and maintained their home (professional homebuilder).

I next thought about a piece of jewelry, something like the hearts designed by that actress/entertainer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want her to deal with yet another "new normal" holiday (one that was so special to them for 18 years of marriage and 20+ years of togetherness) without acknowledging their love, but don't want to bring any pain; just want to acknowledge their love.

Thank you in advance!

You have given this alot of thought.  I would go with my feelings.  If you are unsure, sharing the day together (if that is possible) might be good.  Hard to know unless you really know the person.  Some are very private and some want people around them.  But knowing that you are thinking about her will be the great.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

To all ~

I found this too late for Valentine's Day but you may get a kick out of it...especially if you have a special someone to send a Valentine card to.  Save it in your files for next year!  Enjoy!

http://www.jibjab.com/ecards/valentinesday

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Yes! Yes! Yes!   Woman Wink

Image result for someecards valentines day for chocolate

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Tonite I'm going to check out some marked down chocolates--yummy!!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

haha, me, too! My Valentines have been my 3 amazing daughters and their families for 20 years.

The only thought I've had about Valentine's Day 2017 is for my newly widowed sister (we lost her wonderful husband last July).

Perhaps someone can chime in with suggestions. My first thought was she needs flowers, that he always, always, always gave her on that day. But then I wonder would that be too painful?

It's kind of late to be offering suggestions but I think she would welcome a phone call from you. You are a kind and thoughtful sister to be thinking of her comfort on this special day.  I'm sure her thoughts will wander to celebrations she enjoyed while her husband was alive and it may be comforting as well as cathartic to have you on the other end of the phone to listen while she reminisces.  She may even pour her heart out to your listening ear.  If she's been a widow only since July, she probably still has many thoughts and memories she'd like to share.  It's a very personal gift that will mean a lot to you as well.  Grace and Peace.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

I send cards and stickers to my grandchildren and cards to special friends and relatives.  Some years, I've had activities to attend but that's not high on my agenda.  I usually go out socially several times a month anyway and Valentine's Day is just another day of the week.  I have fond memories of Valentine's Days past and that's more precious than any celebration I could think of now.  Life is sweet. Heart   Woman Wink

Single people who are not desperate know..:

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

Cat woman? I love cats! I am looking for good friends to go to dinner,the theater, concerts,short trips, and more.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

I do send Valentine's cards to a few of my close friends. (Guess it's more of a "Galentine's" card.) Cat Happy Last year our game night fell on Valentine's weekend and we didn't even realize it until we got to the restaurant and saw the special menu. N.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Then I googled and found suggestions for widows such as spa day gift certificates, or offer child care or home repair services. Child care can't do as we're 1K miles apart; home repair doesn't apply as he built and maintained their home (professional homebuilder).

I next thought about a piece of jewelry, something like the hearts designed by that actress/entertainer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want her to deal with yet another "new normal" holiday (one that was so special to them for 18 years of marriage and 20+ years of togetherness) without acknowledging their love, but don't want to bring any pain; just want to acknowledge their love.

Thank you in advance!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season