Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Tiny or Small Houses

Message 1 of 21

@retiredtraveler - My experience living in a town that was younger-family centric, was that the parents lobbied (quite effectively), for all the projects that benefited children & their parents. At the same time the senior transport was poorly publicized .. then eliminated for "underutilization," and there was no support for a senior center .. or even one with facilities that middle-aged residents could use as well.

So my feeling is that the same thing would happen at any development that wasn't age-restricted, where projects would benefit families & children, to the exclusion of anything senior-related.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

"...Two of my friends live in non-age restricted large developments, and the pool & clubhouse are inundated with residents' young children. It would be worth it for me to pay extra to be in an age-restricted community...".

Agreed, that is a possibility. It depends on what your needs/wants are. We'll be doing our homework in the future when it's time to move on. For instance, we want easy access to a health club (onsite or walking distance), but don't care about a pool. We're only concerned with weights and machines which would be age restricted. We're also not sure we want to be around nothing but oldsters either ---- I do know some people who didn't want to live in an area with no one under the age of 60. 

To each his own..................

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

@Lindy11, @retiredtraveler - Two of my friends live in non-age restricted large developments, and the pool & clubhouse are inundated with residents' young children. It would be worth it for me to pay extra to be in an age-restricted community, with strong rules about guests' use of the pool! Some places give each home 6 passes for the year, and beyond that residents have to pay for friends, children & grandchildren to use the clubhouse facilities .. and it's not cheap.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

They certainly may have some perks, that non age restricted apts do not have, but $200-$300 more per month or $2400- $3600 a year more,, is it worth it???  That is a lot of dough... LOL

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

"...In my recent post I mentioned, that I had sold my home and just moved into an apt for the first time in 32 years...".

Glad it worked for you. DW and I are already discussing that as something we'll do, probably, in the next 5 years. Yeah, cleaning up the stuff we've accumulated over 36 years, and by then, over 40 years, will take awhile. I'm figuring a solid year --- and we have a relatively small, 1950's-era house with no basement.   

It sounds like you did good planning. We're going to make a checklist of what we want out of the area we move to, and work from there.

Definitely agree with the comment about anything listed as 'senior' housing in any form, the prices are jacked up. We'll have to sort through that. As Aestrea mentioned, sometimes they have amenities one wants, and is willing to pay for. But we're in Chicago area, and there are lots of apartments, in nice areas, that have public trans, health care, stores, gym, almost all within walking distance without being in a Del Webb community (or it's ilk).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

@Lindy11 - Are you sure the age-restricted communities don't offer some amenities, that the others don't .. like transportation to shopping/doctors? I think that most of the new large developments in NJ are all age-restricted, and they're definitely not cheap!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

Nextdoor was great for getting rid of my excess furniture, before selling my home.  I actually at the end gave stuff away for free to just get rid of it.   Great website...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

When I was searching for a new place to live, anything labeled 55+, 62+ homes, apts, condos, were substantially more expensive, than regular non-age specific communities.  What a rip off!!!!  I ended up finding my patio apt in a regular community for $200-$300 less per month.   I hate that a label, with age requirements, means paying more for the same dang thing.  Talk about taking advantage of seniors!!! 

Just wrong.  Now I know why so many "senior" communities are popping up everywhere.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

@Lindy11 - Always nice to see you post, and am happy that you're transitioning so well to a smaller apartment!

I've thought about having to get rid of excess furniture too. It's getting easier now, with Craig's List, and websites like NextDoor, where you know people better than if you have a house sale.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

In my recent post I mentioned, that I had sold my home and just moved into an apt for the first time in 32 years.  It is less than half the size my home was and it did take an adjustment of both my mindset and getting rid of even more furniture.  BUT I like it a lot. It is the simplicity of an apt vs a house, that has surprised me the most.  My furniture overwhelmed my apt, but I took stuff to Goodwill, gave furniture away, threw more stuff away.  (Though I thought I had gotten rid of a ton of stuff, before even putting my home on the market. )

Smaller is ok and I am happy here.  No yards to have mowed, no repairs, no gas bills, no taxes, no homeowners association to deal with. Whether you move to a tiny home, an apt, a 55+ community, rent or buy, there will be pluses and minuses to each.  I feel such a relief and am enjoying this new area of town, by discovering the many offerings all which are new to me.....

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark