Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The summer of 2016

Message 11 of 31

Sooo frustrating!

I had my whole post typed out, and wanted to insert a photo. I hit the back arrow, and lost my post. But I know they auto-save .. if you can figure out how to access that again, and I didn't .. so everything's been lost. You'd think more of these functions would be intuitive to find .. but they're not!

The tree my wisteria climbed was also a holly tree .. they're very common in my area! It's a shame that it's a very tall tree, and even though the wisteria vine was cut on the bottom, and the vine died in the tree, it's almost impossible to get all of that dead stuff off .. without having a bucket truck to reach the rest of it!

This is what my side hill looks like, looking up from street level, with a hedge-like line of vines near the top.

15-08-15 - Side Hill 3 -  Compressed & Cropped.jpg

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

@ASTRAEA...Well, you certainly painted a lovely image of yourself doing your "vine work!" Cat LOL I understand why you cover every inch, though! I had poision ivy so badly several times when I was a kid that I'm even afraid to look at it now!

Oh, the lovely wisteria! I used to nickname mine the Stephen King creeper! Ugh, that thing came back more ferociously every time I would cut it back. Finally after it killed a big holly tree and the tree was taken down, I had the original wisteria taken out. I do see it pop up in places even now.

Just be careful on the hill! (and in the attic, too!) N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31

Gardening - I'm not a gardener by nature, partially because I have very bad reactions to insect bites .. and they "like me"! But last year I got involved with trimming the multiple types of vines on my property, because they a) grow very fast, and b) having the landscaper do it became prohibitively expensive. I'm sure the English ivy was planted to hold the soil, because I'm on the top of a hill, Virginia creeper & rambling rose added for screening & bird nesting, and wisteria because it's pretty .. but they're all incredibly invasive. And then poison ivy just "came along for the ride".

So my experience at "gardening" is not relaxing, because I've worn double layers of socks, tights & pants, long sleeved sweaters over tank tops and double pairs of gloves, for when I'm cutting anywhere the poison ivy might be growing. Because of the steep hill, I wear hiking boots & use a walking stick for stability. It's back breaking, in hot summer weather, bent over cutting runners on the ground, and yanking them out. Last year, the wisteria had climbed up to the top of a tree it could reach, and the base of it was a wood-line vine that a 200 lb Tarzen could use to swing from!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

@nyadrn wrote:

@MaVolta Working in a garden can be very enjoyable and relaxing.  I don't think I could do much of that unless I had a raised planter on my balcony but I enjoy the building landscaping.  What kind of craft projects?

@nyadrn  - I really enjoy the garden and working with plants. When the weather is good, I can easily spend a day out there.

I recently discovered Pinterest (yes, I'm a bit slow getting to such things), and found so many projects that gave me ideas that I might work on. I'm currently experimenting with some mixed media art. I'm not a real artist, but enjoy working on little projects that don't require a high level of artistic skill. 

You might want to check out some of the little dish gardens and terrariums for indoors, patio, balcony, whatever space you have to work with. They have some very clever, but not too complicated projects. 

It's just so amazing to see all the creativity posted on one site. I'm a fan!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

Your vacation sounds great!!  Enjoy it and the family.  Great to hear from you!!
@Prosecco6247 wrote:

Nice to see everyone checking in, at least!  I'm guilty of not making time to post a few lines here and there around the board.  I have been checking in to read what's there, though.  I've been catching up on appointments, family matters, updating my will and dealing with the hot weather and a lot of afternoon storminess.

I will be heading out to meet my kids on our annual lake vacation in a very short time.  ;-)  That's the most popular of all of the recreational trips we take.  The grandkids are one young teen, one "tween" and one kindergartener.  Their parents are all in their mid to late 40's...and we've been doing this all their lives.  Some traditions are hard to give up.  I've been wondering how long I can keep it up.  They are all athletic and I have been less inclined to try to keep up in the last couple of years but the lure of the fun, family bonding and good food & drink on a beautiful lake in the mountains is impossible to ignore.

>>

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

Hi Nancy

Yes the trip was wonderful!  It has been on my list for a long time and I am happy that I got to do it and it was so much fun.  You did yours long before I did : )

Summer and people kind of drift away and spend more time outdoors.  I hope your pool is ready soon!     We have one but the outdoor pool is not good for me because I get sun poisoning ....

Hey, Diane,

Wasn't Alaska great? I loved my trip and cruise to Alaska way back somewhere in the mid 1990's. Glad you enjoyed it.

I have been checking in here once in a while, and have checked on TV Talk, but a lot of folks seem to be on vacation or otherwise occupied. I do check in with Our Front Porch, too. There always seems to be something there and great photos to look at!

Me...I've been waiting for my pool to get fixed. It's driving me nuts not to be able to get in there daily. Cat Sad N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31

@2Papa  nothing wrong with sitting and rocking : )   what do you see when you sit and rock?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31

@MaVolta wrote:

@nyadrn - Your vacation sounds awesome! 

Haven't had much time for reading or posting, but when I looked, it was just like @ASTRAEA described. 

Did a bit of yard work this spring and spruced up my yard and garden area. It's an herb garden, and with spring rain, it went wild with growth. I added a few potted plants for color. Heat has now taken over, so working on a few craft projects indoors. 

@MaVolta Working in a garden can be very enjoyable and relaxing.  I don't think I could do much of that unless I had a raised planter on my balcony but I enjoy the building landscaping.  What kind of craft projects?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31

@Prosecco6247 - Enjoy your family lake vacation .. how long will you be away? I started making the rounds of kitchen & bathroom renovators, to get more info on redoing the main bath in my house. It gets more & more complicated .. too many choices! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31

Nice to see everyone checking in, at least!  I'm guilty of not making time to post a few lines here and there around the board.  I have been checking in to read what's there, though.  I've been catching up on appointments, family matters, updating my will and dealing with the hot weather and a lot of afternoon storminess.

I will be heading out to meet my kids on our annual lake vacation in a very short time.  ;-)  That's the most popular of all of the recreational trips we take.  The grandkids are one young teen, one "tween" and one kindergartener.  Their parents are all in their mid to late 40's...and we've been doing this all their lives.  Some traditions are hard to give up.  I've been wondering how long I can keep it up.  They are all athletic and I have been less inclined to try to keep up in the last couple of years but the lure of the fun, family bonding and good food & drink on a beautiful lake in the mountains is impossible to ignore.

Have fun in the coming weeks and let's all try to keep up our maintenance posts until we can come back and give the discussions and each other more focused attention.  @nyadrn, your vacay sounded like great fun and I'm sure you enjoyed spending time with your son!  @catwoman500, I hope your pool is fixed soon!  @Astraea, please be careful in the attic!  Better take your phone up there if you need to go up again.  Everyone else, good luck, good health, good fun until we're all back posting more regularly and more frequently!  ~xoox~  Mimi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views