Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The DNA Trail

Message 1 of 13

@pvdugas  Wow!  What a wealth of information you've managed to accumulate in an admittedly difficult ancestor search but you are definitely in a good place to find records.  In some parts of the South, it can be like looking for the proverbial "needle in a haystack."

I would encourage you to do the DNA testing.  With a Creole background, you may find some new clues to your ancestry that will take you in several new directions.  The DNA test providers will also give you information on living persons who might share DNA with you.  If both persons agree to make contact, you can find valuable sources of new information that might even remove a few of those "roadblocks."

When you are ready, check out the various DNA providers online to see which one will be most appropriate for you.  You can Google comparisons of DNA providers.  Here is one example but there are many more:

https://www.exploringlifesmysteries.com/23andme-vs-ancestry-vs-ftdna-vs-geno-2-0/

Good Luck & Happy Trails!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

Now this is a topic after my heart! I have worked on my family tree since 2000. I used Ancestry and I met so many wonderful people there.  I always knew I was from a strong Creole family in southwest Louisiana. (St. Martin/Vermillion) I have a bucket of information. It got very costly and I ran into some road blocks but I went off line and started visting the Family Centers owned and operated by  Latter Day Saints/Utah. I used to tell my friends when they asked what I was doing, 'Searching for dead people.'  I learned so much that I really could write a book.  I haven't done the DNA yet but plan to sometime soon.  I found slave papers for my great great grandmere and that was fascinating. (Conveyance records) I ordered social security card applications which have tons of information on them as well as death certificates.  I have photos of burial sites for my Great grandparents as well as their marriage certificate from a Louisiana Parish.  I took a break for about one year and started up again.  More and more information is being put online. You just really have to know what to search for and how. African american search is difficult prior to 1870 but it's not impossible. Each peice of information you find hopefully links you to more information.

That which you attempt to control...controls you - Iyanla Vanzant
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

I've not had the DNA testing but have been tempted to try it to see if there are any surprises.  Both my parents' ancestry has been traced Pre-Revolution since there have been relatives interested in joining the DAR and it seems it's even more prestige if there's more than one trail.  Two have been found for each side of the family the last I heard.  My father's family has been traced back to England (late 1600's) and both parents have strong Scottish and Irish connections.

I've lost contact with most of my relatives and also curious if there are any to be found through a search.  I recently made contact with some 2nd cousins, that I hadn't seen since we were teens, through Facebook.  That was interesting, although I don't see us becoming best friends.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@Lindy11 wrote:

Have any of you traced your relatives or know of your DNA matches? What did you find out about your heritage?

Yes, I was able to find a relative, a 3rd cousin, through DNA matches on Ancestry. (The 2nd - 4th cousin matches are said to be the most reliable.) My cousin and I were researching the same families, and as she had been at it longer, was able to send me info that I didn't have. She also sent me pictures of her relatives, and one in particular, looks a lot like my dad at the same age! 

Mostly, the DNA has provided confirmation of the research already done, but in a few instances, has connected me with cousins that had research on more distant lines. There was one line, in particular, that my mom had researched and hit a dead end. I connected with a cousin, who found that way-back-when, a female had a son that was most likely illigitimate. It appears in records found that the father was married to someone else around the time this child was born. When the woman did marry, her husband adopted her son and gave him his name, and that name had carried forward to present day. It was only through DNA testing of both families that the connection was finally made! 

While I have found some interesting connections, there a many "hits" on Ancestry that I cannot validate, or have any clue what their connection is. I also believe many of those are false hits, which is possible. 

Another DNA testing site is Family Tree DNA. They also run sales and have a variety of options, plus you can view your connections with a chromosome browser, which makes it a bit easier to find how you are connected. Uploading your tree is also an option.  

https://www.familytreedna.com/

As for heritage, it's about what I expected. Every site weights it a little differently based on their database. You have to remember that DNA does not know borders, and over the years, borders have also changed. For example, I found that the influence of the Vikings was especially striking in my own DNA, as I have no known relatives from Scandinavian countries, but quite a lot of DNA running through the Scots, Irish, and Norman French in my family tree.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@ADKAnne wrote:

Ancestry will give you relatives you have never heard about if these relatives have joined Ancestry.  They give you a place to write these people.   It is up to you to contact these people.  They can write back or not-it is up to them.

That's too be an "IF"; I wouldn't hold my breath!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Ancestry will give you relatives you have never heard about if these relatives have joined Ancestry.  They give you a place to write these people.   It is up to you to contact these people.  They can write back or not-it is up to them.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

Just to clarify, none of these tests will identify relatives you don't know about. All they can do is rule people out who you think are related, or confirm people you know about .. but aren't sure they're status. Is that correct?

I know almost nothing about my father's family, so I guess all this sort of testing would do, is identify if I should be looking in another country for relatives on his side.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

I have done the ancestry DNA test and found a couple of connections I didn't know about-from Spain and Italy.  The rest were pretty much what I knew already.  I have been thinking of trying 23 and me but don't know if it is worth it since I already know most of my ancestors-at least the close ones.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

I have also had DNA testing through Ancestry.  I can't say I was surprised about the outcome because I have been doing genealogy research since I was in my twenties...and my father did research before me.

My first brush with DNA testing was with the National Geographic's Genographic Project about 10 years ago.  It was designed to study where humans originated eons ago.  It also connected you to groups who shared particular genes with you.  It was pretty complicated and I didn't follow through because finding close associations was pretty rare.

The https://www.23andme.com/ costs about twice as much as http://dna.ancestry.com/ but it gives other dna markers about one's health & wellness as well as genetic traits.  There was a time early on when they reportedly included information on genetic markers for specific diseases but I believe there were legal ramifications coupled with the possibility of health insurance fraud attached to divulging such information wholesale and that practice was discontinued.  If one wants to be tested for certain diseases, there are other routes available to go about it.

23and me is the DNA testing site that is used by "Finding Your Roots," the PBS series hosted by Dr. Henry Louis Gates.

The fee for Ancestry's test is usually around $99 but is often advertised for $89.  I think it is a deal...what other way to accurately determine one's heritage?  All of the genealogy research in the world cannot verify with pinpoint accuracy who you really think you are.  There are so many relationships possible within families...a niece or nephew raised as one's own child, grandparents raising an out of wedlock grandchild as their own, secret adoptions, children born as the result of rape or incest or mixed race relationships...think about it.

I just had a weird thought...my sense of humor is strange, I'll admit it...lol!  Wouldn't it be funny if Donald Trump could somehow get Elizabeth Warren's DNA tested?  We know she's not "Pocahontas" but it would be really funny if she were actually some percentage Native American!  Hey...it's possible!  What would be even funnier would be Donald Trump finding out his DNA showed a percentage of Mexican or even Muslim heritage...hmmmm!  Woman LOL

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

A friend of mine is active in a genealogy society, and she's mentioned both Ancestry's DNA program, and something else called 23AndMe.com, another DNA testing program. I know that one was significantly less expensive than the other, but now I don't remember which was which!

I know very little about my father's family, since he left Mom early on, and my few memories of holidays with his family are very sketchy .. not much you can do when you only have first names! I am pretty sure that they came from the same part of the world as my maternal family .. eastern europe.

I guess I'm curious .. just not enough to follow up! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet