Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Seniors in **bleep** meet for meals

Message 1 of 14

@j952579d wrote:

I'm interested to go out to dinner pay my own way... I'm living in Santa Monica California

Have  you tried your local senior center or meet up?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

I'm interested to go out to dinner pay my own way... I'm living in Santa Monica California

JMD
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

Great advice @retiredtraveler !  Single seniors need to take the initiative and educate themselves about the opportunities available as well learn to navigate the internet to find exactly what they're looking for.

Meet-Up is a good catch-all and depending upon where one lives, there may be multiple opportunities for breakfast, luncheon, dinner groups, wine tastings, etc.  There are activities groups as well, ranging from full-bore, all-out calorie-burning activities to simpler outdoorsy pursuits that require less physical effort.

Gyms, athletic clubs and the YMCA all offer opportunities to meet others of like mind.  Basketball groups are popular at my local Y and women congregate in the sauna or hot tub after exercise, yoga or aquacize to chitchat and catch up with each other.

For the lady who joined a new church, she could organize a luncheon meeting once a month.  In my church, a woman who moved here from across the country did just that.  It's called L. I. F. T. and the acronym stands for Ladies In Fellowship Together.  Not particularly focused on religious issues, it affords attendees the opportunity to meet in an informal setting and enjoy each other's company for an hour.  Everyone can do lunch once a month! We meet at local restaurants on a rotation basis.

My brother meets about half a dozen of his neighbors & friends at a local breakfast spot every Saturday he's in town.  They kibbitz and joke with one another and over the years have become fast friends.  They come from different walks of life but that doesn't matter.  It started years ago when they all stopped in the same place to grab a quick coffee on Saturday mornings before they started their weekend errands.  I know of several breakfast groups in my own town that have been going for years as well.  Retirement has just increased the frequency of their meetings.

Do you like movies?  I also know of several "movie & lunch" groups who meet once a week.  They go to the movies on "Senior Day" which is usually a Tuesday and afterward go to a nearby restaurant for lunch.  They claim their "senior discounts" at both places.

I also know of a "walking group" which follows their 3-mile morning walk with a light breakfast.

I belong to a group which meets once a month at a nice restaurant for cocktails & dinner, then repairs to one member's home for dessert and coffee.  The restaurants are rotated.

I also hold "season ticket subscriptions" to concerts and plays as do many of my friends.  Several of us generally attend together after first stopping for dinner out.

Volunteering is a great way to meet people with similar interests.  One couple I know volunteers at a local concert hall.  Neither had ever done that type of volunteering before but found that they loved it and they get to enjoy the concerts as well.  They've met a lot of people that way.

Life is a smorgasbord of opportunities...you can hang back and stay hungry or you can graze to your heart's content!  Try it!  If you can't find what you want, make it happen...start small at first and gradually invite others to join you.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

@ASTRAEA wrote:

"...Have you checked the Meet-Up website, for groups in your area? You might find a group that's 50+ & likes to dine out, or one that does a variety of things .. that include eating out occasionally....".

I would add to my other posting. If you are the 'right' kind of person (willing to try to start a group), you can start something in your community. Don't just go to the Meet-Up website, try to start a group of your own for your area using the website. I would think that in any of these larger communities, there are like-minded people who want to meet with others, same as you.

Those of us who have participated in different groups know that most of us (ok, speaking for myself), are followers. But if you are more of a 'leader type', try to form something yourself.

Another possible venue for meeting, and I know this from personal experience, is a gym or health facility of some kind. That is, one that has exercise classes for seniors. We have a group at our local gym, and a lot of people started getting together as a result of meeting in a class. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

"....Living in a senior state, how can it be difficult to meet independent male and female single seniors? Those who would like to meet weekly for a pleasant time, good conversation and pay their own way....".

Is everyone posting here using the internet effectively?  For example, for the town you live in, "Google" your town name and senior center. For example, "Beaverton Oregon Senior Center, and you will find a center. Of Google senior groups for your town, or simply 'Senior townname.

It seems a lot of people post questions that could easily be found, or at least started, online, with a few searches. Also search on AARP chapters in your state, 'activities for seniors' in your state/town, etc. 

I'm thinking a lot of people are not aware of how easy it is to search online and get some ideas. If you don't have your own PC, go to wherever you can access one with a pen and notepad.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and would love to meet independent seniors in group atmosphere for lunch or dinner.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

me too but where are you located I'm in Beavercreek, Ohio

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

I am looking for good friends to do dinner or go out for coffee.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

@p686403h wrote:
Thanks good ideas, I also found a New Church. Closer and I figured new beginnings I needed to start fresh every where. Thanks, Patty

I wish you every joy in your new beginning. God bless.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14
Thanks good ideas, I also found a New Church. Closer and I figured new beginnings I needed to start fresh every where. Thanks, Patty
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors