Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SNOW-BIRDING .. ANY THOUGHTS?

Message 1 of 29

@Tlyna wrote:

I live in the small town of Punta Gorda where the Peace River meets Charlotte Harbor on the Gulf. >>

@Tlyna   Hi and thank you for your response.  Your place sounds great!  Glad you found it.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 29

I live in the small town of Punta Gorda where the Peace River meets Charlotte Harbor on the Gulf. Funny thing is there isn't much for me to dislike since I moved here three years ago from Michigan. My dad was a snowbird and had the house here while my stepmother had a condo in Michigan. Me, two households were more than I could afford and chose to take dad's house here. Don't regret it either. I think the only thing I consider I dislike about the season is parking at stores or restaurants is sometimes much more of a problem than off season. The 55+ community I live in continues to be very active year round and once you learn your way around there are lots of things that go on in the town and Port Charlotte that one can do that is either free or very little cost. Lots of concerts or big name entertainment in Ft Myers or Saratsota when I wish to indulge and being as I used to go to Detroit for a lot of that the distance is comparable so no problem. Friendly people, low crime, lots of restaurants and waterfront parks...what isn't to like. Some may find it duller than they want but I've like the more laid back lifestyle now,

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: SNOW-BIRDING .. YOUR THOUGHTS AND EXPERIENCES?

Message 3 of 29

It has been two years since I posted this topic.

I am still working and so obviously do not snow bird but I am getting to the time where I will be giving it a try and I thought I would see if two years has changed anything.

There were several interesting comments made to this topic.. including the cost of upkeep for a second home,  the need to drive to the location so as to keep a car etc.  

There are options for all the points.  You can rent in any number of different types of housing to give it a try.  You don't need to buy unless you want to.  Some people can get away with Uber or snow bird in a city or rent a car.

So are you snowbirding?  do you go to the same place each year or try different areas?   Do you like it?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 29
Southwest Florida. Good luck to you and your neighbors.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 29

@Tlyna wrote:
My community has about 50 people left after the snowbirds leave. We still have a lot of things going on, lunches, pot lucks, tennis matches, water aerobics, day trips, big July 4th party, card games, bingo, bocce ball, coffee and donuts every Friday with a short meeting to keep up on news and plans for future events. The owners have nothing to do with our activities, the residents plan all of them. When the snowbirds come back they join in and we have even more activities including weekend trips and cruises, all planned and organized by the residents. Nearly everyone here is very active and every day you will see many of us out walking around the community with or without dogs and socializing together as they do. Those who can't walk usually have golf carts or electric scooters and run around socializing too. You and your other residents need to decide activities for yourselves,. the owners don't have any responsibility towards organizing community activities all they are responsible for is maintaining the resort/park.

Thank you for sharing!  Sounds like you have a lot going ont there.  Sounds like fun.  Is there anything you don't like?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 29

@singlefawn wrote:

I, too, have a love/hate attitude toward snowbirds.  I live in a 55+ resort and when the snowbirds go home around April or May, everything in the resort comes to a squeaking halt!  What about us who live here year round, don't we need things to do?  I guess we are supposed to find things ourselves.  And I can do that, but it just irks me that the owners give no thought at all to the ones of us who support the resort during the summer months.  Then, come October/November, here they come trooping back and everything starts up again.  Don't know what the solution, but those are my thoughts about showbirds.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I can understand your point.  Actually I went down to check things out at my favorite place after high season for that exact reason..  to see what was open and what was not and what it would be like to be there off season.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 29
My community has about 50 people left after the snowbirds leave. We still have a lot of things going on, lunches, pot lucks, tennis matches, water aerobics, day trips, big July 4th party, card games, bingo, bocce ball, coffee and donuts every Friday with a short meeting to keep up on news and plans for future events. The owners have nothing to do with our activities, the residents plan all of them. When the snowbirds come back they join in and we have even more activities including weekend trips and cruises, all planned and organized by the residents. Nearly everyone here is very active and every day you will see many of us out walking around the community with or without dogs and socializing together as they do. Those who can't walk usually have golf carts or electric scooters and run around socializing too. You and your other residents need to decide activities for yourselves,. the owners don't have any responsibility towards organizing community activities all they are responsible for is maintaining the resort/park.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 29

I, too, have a love/hate attitude toward snowbirds.  I live in a 55+ resort and when the snowbirds go home around April or May, everything in the resort comes to a squeaking halt!  What about us who live here year round, don't we need things to do?  I guess we are supposed to find things ourselves.  And I can do that, but it just irks me that the owners give no thought at all to the ones of us who support the resort during the summer months.  Then, come October/November, here they come trooping back and everything starts up again.  Don't know what the solution, but those are my thoughts about showbirds.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 29

@m12982j wrote:

My 75 yr old sister and and 69 yr old brother go to west coast Florida from Michigan every October through May. Sister retired at 50, brother at 56. I believe their health and well being is at a high level #1 they exercise regularly in the warm weather in winter, #2 they live one mile from one another in the north and south, #3 they do community service work both places, #4 they and their spouses eat well, laugh often and #5 are totally generous spirits. I always say"via con Dios " when they hit the road to drive south. They set an example of lving well and loving every minute of it. Brother also has his 97 yr old mother-in-law with him and his wife and mom is game to do almost 

everything they do! 

One of the reasons that I want to hit the road in the winter is the snow and ice that make getting out and about difficult.  I definately get more exercise in the non snow and ice months because I do more walking.  Besides that.. the lack of sunlight gets to you. : )

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 29

My 75 yr old sister and and 69 yr old brother go to west coast Florida from Michigan every October through May. Sister retired at 50, brother at 56. I believe their health and well being is at a high level #1 they exercise regularly in the warm weather in winter, #2 they live one mile from one another in the north and south, #3 they do community service work both places, #4 they and their spouses eat well, laugh often and #5 are totally generous spirits. I always say"via con Dios " when they hit the road to drive south. They set an example of lving well and loving every minute of it. Brother also has his 97 yr old mother-in-law with him and his wife and mom is game to do almost 

everything they do! 

Kudos
Views