Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SNOW-BIRDING .. ANY THOUGHTS?

Message 11 of 29

Actually I like extremes and I go North in the Winter and South in the Summer.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 29
I didn't realize how much SAD affected me until I moved to southwest Florida. Now my mood stays much more upbeat and I am also much more active than I was up north. I had originally planned to retire to Michigan's upper peninsula but when dad died I figured Florida would be a smarter option for me due to damaged legs. Now I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. The first summer was hard because of the high humidity in the evenings and night but by my second summer I found I could deal with it much better. I don't even miss the changing of the seasons. Yes there will be more snowbirds and for us in my area it is an economic boon that is needed to keep businesses going.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 29

I am really glad this topic is being discussed. The South should prepare for even more people coming their way when more and more people retire. I have just retired at 55 but husband has not and I can't wait to go someplace warm a couple of months a year. The Seasonal Affective Disorder is very real and people have lived their entire lives in the North and retirement allows them to finally experience a warm climate during the winter. Everyone I talk to approaching retirement is planning on being snowbirds so it's only going to get more younger and more crowded. I would think owning a rental will be a great investment with all these potential renters. I suppose it's human nature to be very territorial about your area but we are all here on earth for a short while and everyone wants happiness. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 29

That is the hate part of my feelings on them. On the other hand my town is heavily dependent on the money that comes into it from snowbird season as we are not in a major tourist area of Florida, there is no industry here, plus most of our residents are retirees, so I see the season as a necessary evil.  I do love the 6 months of peace and quiet during the late spring to early fall though.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 29

Snow - birding to me does not mean being a camper.  I'm lucky to have a sister in the Houston TX area that my husband and I can stay with during the winter months.  I can keep a supply of clothes at her house and we co-habitate for 3-5 months.  We either fly in or drive down from Cleveland OH.  Our youngest is still home so we don't have to worry about the house until she moves on.   Houston is a great area to travel from if we go visiting other relatives further west.  We thought about a RV but cannot afford it and our home.  I've heard several people ditching the home and just living out of the RV but I think that is costly as well.  Not every neighborhood allows over night RVs in the drive and some sites can cost the same as a hotel. So far the snow-birding arrangement is working for us but my husband says if grandbabies start arriving we may invest in a condo to be near them.  Until then we will be happy avoiding the sometimes harsh Cleveland winters for the mild temps of Houston.  I hope everyone can enjoy travel, family, friends and good health during the "snow-birding" season.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 29

Snow birds are a major pain in the butt.  They come to FL and immediately take over the town and the beaches.  They feel entitlement for some strange reason and drive side by side, doing 10 to 20 miles under the speed limit, refusing to move over.  They are rude, boisterous, and do things in their adopted community that they would not dream of doing at home.  I absolutely hate snow bird season and wish they would all stay home. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 29

My dad was a snowbird and when he died I chose to move to his Florida home on the Gulf Coast as a year round resident (Admittedly my first summer in Florida took quite some getting used to). I live in a 55+ community and watch the snowbird residents as they move households twice a year and I think I would hate all that hassle for myself. I miss some things about the north but I have acclaimated well (surprising as I was a Yooper by nature). Snowbirds are great for the economy here as we are not a tourist town and most of the money here comes from snowbird season as the vast majority of our visitors at any time are older people whether retired brief vacationers or snowbirds. On the other hand I do my grocery shopping in the middle of the night during snowbird season to avoid the crush and problem parking at stores and also make sure to only go to restaruants on off hours for the same reason. I think you could say I have a love/hate feeling towards the season.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 29

Come to the Texas Hill Country.  We're still wearing shorts, and temps have been in the 80s --quite unusual for November.   Haven't had rain --which is why the cactus are prolific.   Many RV parks here and plenty of snowbirds already taking up residence.  Some of the RVs are luxurious--not what I would call "camping."   

Mild winters here.  From what I understand, when you have a home in cold areas, draining water from toilets, pipes, hot water heaters etc. is a necessity to avoid costly damage.  Having a second home in a warm place may be ideal if you can afford it, and a small RV could be a compromise--no taxes, little maintenance.  Next we'll be seeing the geese making their way south and west.    

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 29

@retiredtraveler wrote:

@nyadrn

Pretty cool. Looks like only available in Europe. But there are similar types made in U.S.  I don't think that Astraea will be impressed. Woman Frustrated

I would agree LOL

My dad loved to fish.  We started fishing as kids and made lots of road trips to the various lakes in Ohio and if we wanted to spend the night we had a tent.  I remember fondly buying a pop up camper and what a step up it was!  No more sleeping on the ground, esp when it was raining.  

Funny how all those memories are good ones to all of us "kids".  The most important thing was that he always took us with him!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 29

@nyadrn

Pretty cool. Looks like only available in Europe. But there are similar types made in U.S.  I don't think that Astraea will be impressed. Woman Frustrated

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views