Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SNOW-BIRDING .. ANY THOUGHTS?

Message 21 of 29

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...It means maintaining 2 households, if you own both places, or using other people's furniture, bedding, kitchen equipment if you rent one place furnished. Just because you're not in primary residence several months...".

You're not a camper!  That's what snowbirding means to me and so many other fellow campers.  And yes, I know of several single women who do snowbird in small, easy-to-tow campers (I'm sure there are some with full-size units too, just don't know any). It's very simple if you have a small, two-person type unit.   

@retiredtraveler   Here you go!  https://youtu.be/IOoUt6xNDOQ

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 29

@ASTRAEA wrote:

There are a few problems being a "snow bird", the way I look at it; especially for singles:

- It means maintaining 2 households, if you own both places, or using other people's furniture, bedding, kitchen equipment if you rent one place furnished. Just because you're not in primary residence several months of the year, doesn't mean you don't have to pay the full amount in property tax, some basic amount for utilities, and for some level of snow removal .. which can be very expensive added together. Then there's the question of getting your vehicle to the secondary location, either driving a long distance or having it go by carrier, or renting a car at your secondary location.

- If you're not at a hotel in your secondary location, it's a lot more fun for a husband .. who doesn't have to do property or house maintenance, but just as much work for a woman or single, who has to cook, clean, do laundry, etc, .. so it's not like a real vacation.

- When you're married, no matter where you are or go, you have built-in companionship. You're never totally alone having to meet new neighbors, if you rent in different places from year to year. If you're single, you've got to "hit the ground running", getting to know people & finding out about the social scene where you're staying.

I guess it depends on what kind of housing you are looking at.  I live in a condo.  I don't have anything at home that I have to maintain.  I could go on a world cruise and return and other than a good cleaning off of dust there would be nothing waiting and I am assuming the same on both ends.  I am not going to buy initially.  No matter where I decide to go I am going to rent for at least one season to see how I like it.  I have vacationed in lots of time share type situations both whole house and condo  and there was no problem using the furniture etc and no taking care of things.   The vehicle would be an issue.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 29

ASTRAEA wrote:

@...@retiredtraveler - You're absolutely right; I'm not a "camper". If I bothered to spend 2 or 3 winter months elsewhere, I would expect it to be as well appointed as my house, and not result in any additional effort on my part....".

That's no fun! Smiley Tongue

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 29

@retiredtraveler - You're absolutely right; I'm not a "camper". If I bothered to spend 2 or 3 winter months elsewhere, I would expect it to be as well appointed as my house, and not result in any additional effort on my part.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 29

"...It means maintaining 2 households, if you own both places, or using other people's furniture, bedding, kitchen equipment if you rent one place furnished. Just because you're not in primary residence several months...".

You're not a camper!  That's what snowbirding means to me and so many other fellow campers.  And yes, I know of several single women who do snowbird in small, easy-to-tow campers (I'm sure there are some with full-size units too, just don't know any). It's very simple if you have a small, two-person type unit.   

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 29

There are a few problems being a "snow bird", the way I look at it; especially for singles:

- It means maintaining 2 households, if you own both places, or using other people's furniture, bedding, kitchen equipment if you rent one place furnished. Just because you're not in primary residence several months of the year, doesn't mean you don't have to pay the full amount in property tax, some basic amount for utilities, and for some level of snow removal .. which can be very expensive added together. Then there's the question of getting your vehicle to the secondary location, either driving a long distance or having it go by carrier, or renting a car at your secondary location.

- If you're not at a hotel in your secondary location, it's a lot more fun for a husband .. who doesn't have to do property or house maintenance, but just as much work for a woman or single, who has to cook, clean, do laundry, etc, .. so it's not like a real vacation.

- When you're married, no matter where you are or go, you have built-in companionship. You're never totally alone having to meet new neighbors, if you rent in different places from year to year. If you're single, you've got to "hit the ground running", getting to know people & finding out about the social scene where you're staying.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 29

I live in middle Georgia and even though our seasons are not as extreme as in many other places, we still have our snow-birders.  Ours are mainly to escape the summer heat rather than to escape the winter cold.  We are headed toward the cooler mountains of the Blue Ridge in the warm months and usually welcome the colder weather during the winter months.   We have just enough of the cold that we welcome those occasional warm days that sneak in when other parts of the country are battling ice and snow.

I remember one year when my husband and I returned from the tennis court, wearing shorts, to call his family in Nebraska to wish them Happy New Year.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 29

@nyadrn wrote:

Fall is here and another Ohio winter is coming.   I cannot say that I am excited by that prospect.  More frequently I am thinking about the options.  

Does anyone have any thoughts?

@nyadrn  We would gladly welcome you to the Sunshine State!  Smiley Very Happy  Pam

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

SNOW-BIRDING .. ANY THOUGHTS?

Message 29 of 29

Fall is here and another Ohio winter is coming.   I cannot say that I am excited by that prospect.  More frequently I am thinking about the options.  

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors