There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Pet Peeves

Message 1 of 97

TV screens everywhere you go.  Okay, sports bars want to show whatever game is on, but now so many restaurants have tv screens too... and some have several screens, all showing something different.  I've seen them @ grocery store checkout lines... Do we really exect to be in line that long?  My doctor's office has one that shows medically-related content, but I still find that an unpleasant noise.  I don't watch tv @ home; why would I want to watch it everywhere I go?  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 97

@d528297s wrote:

My Pet Peeve is how everything is so LOUD! restaurants, theaters, stores--the music is too high. I can't even have a conversation.  The theaters are way too loud. I have hearing aids and I'm constantly turning them up/down.  

People don't look at each other while talking.  

@d528297s  Thank you for bringing this up!  I despair of ever having complete conversations in most restaurants and stores...I can't hear others due to the distractingly loud music being played everywhere!  Mood music???  No way...I call it "bad mood music" since I cannot even hear myself think...

People have gotten out of the practice of looking at others during conversation because so many are busy looking at their cell phones or iPads.  JMO.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 97

My Pet Peeve is how everything is so LOUD! restaurants, theaters, stores--the music is too high. I can't even have a conversation.  The theaters are way too loud. I have hearing aids and I'm constantly turning them up/down.  

People don't look at each other while talking.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 97

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@marieteresa01, @Prosecco6247 - I wanted to show how difficult it can be to be completely honest, while preserving a dear friend's feelings, since marieteresa seemed to think there was no justification for not being completely honest ever.

Personally, I put questions like that in perspective; if the person already dressed & on their way to the event, there would be no opportunity for them to change into something else. So what would be the point of telling them they weren't wearing a flattering outfit .. where that would only result in them feeling bad & awkward the whole time! I would probably say something the next time I saw them, that it wasn't as flattering a style or color. If they showed me the outfit before they actually needed/wore it, I would be honest about it not being flattering for specific reasons.

PS - There is also a difference between being truthful, and telling the whole truth. The former means that what you say is true (it's a beautiful dress), but the latter means you tell everything & it's true (it's a beautiful dress, but the style/color doesn't suit you).

I personally solve this issue for my friends by never asking them about how I look  LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 97

@ak36349276 wrote:

My pet peeves I have so many of them. My friends are older . I got friend always worry and nag  Complain all-time.and the other friend know it all and always want right all time.and the other friend men desperate  and other friend always the give her man  money all time . The other friend act like she don't to wear her hearing aid and other friend she always crying about her health and Don't take care of herself she have asthma and I have c.o.p.d and asthma . And she have a seriou crunch on marry man . She been marry before now she is single again . And that all my pet peeve. I can't stand it and it irrated me . See it my women's act like that

As a loyal friend, it does annoy and irritate us when we see our companions acting in ways that are not productive and, in our minds, makes their personal situations worse.  Good decision-making skills are usually learned by example...from loving parents who want the best life possible for their children.  It's also learned the "hard way"...by having to suffer the consequences of their bad decisions.  Most people learn that bumping into brick walls so many times produces a pain so bad, they eventually learn to make better decisions...and as friends, we keep hoping it will happen sooner rather than later.

Occasionally though, we run into people who are so "hard-headed" they just refuse to see how their decisions are responsible for the problems they are constantly complaining about.  You must be a very good listener to have so many friends wanting to confide in you.  You are also very likely to be the best friend they ever had.  Lucky them!

That said, you must not allow your irritation & disappointment with them make your life unpleasant.  Continue to be a good friend but "turn off" all of your frustrations when they go home or hang up the phone.  People are people...they will only listen to good advice when they're good & ready to.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 97

My pet peeves I have so many of them. My friends are older . I got friend always worry and nag  Complain all-time.and the other friend know it all and always want right all time.and the other friend men desperate  and other friend always the give her man  money all time . The other friend act like she don't to wear her hearing aid and other friend she always crying about her health and Don't take care of herself she have asthma and I have c.o.p.d and asthma . And she have a seriou crunch on marry man . She been marry before now she is single again . And that all my pet peeve. I can't stand it and it irrated me . See it my women's act like that

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 97

@dberger95 - The only time I really don't like people getting too close, during a "store" transaction, is at the bank! My Mom was a bookkeeper, and many times when I was off from school, I'd spend the day at her office .. which included a trip to the bank. Two "bank etiquette" rules she taught me were:

* Always count your money when it's handed to you, before you step away from the teller's window, and

* Don't let anyone step up to the teller's window near you, before you've counted your money & put it away.

I've actually asked another customer to "please step back," if I was still counting or hadn't put my money away yet .. and there too, it's only another 5 seconds.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 97

When checking out at a grocery store or convenience store, I do not like having my space invaded before my purchase has been completed. Sometimes the checker even facilitates this. For example. I have just paid and received my receipt and change. Before I even get money and receipt in wallet and purse, the checker has started taking next customer and that customer is standing next to me. Mind you I am not dawdling. Sometimes the packer is still bagging my purchase.  At the convenience store, after handing my receipt and change, the checker will then signal the person behind me to put his purchase on the counter as I am putting away the change in my wallet and the wallet in my purse. Come on 10 or 15 seconds is not too long to have to wait. I do not comply with the checker at the convenience store who signals me to move up and at the grocery store I will stand back a cart's length until the customer before me has moved on.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 97

People don't use turn signals because they think where they are going is none of your business. LOL.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 97

People not using turn signals and not staying to the right except to pass!

Kudos
Views