Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Pet Peeves

Message 21 of 97

My pet peeve is people who lie. I read an article that explained that there are different kinds and different degrees of lying. To me, a lie is a lie; an untruth. Why do people even lie when the truth would serve them better? Manipulation. Dignity. Lack of Courage. In a recent study, a classroom of children was given a game to play and while 75% of them peeked at the answers, 95% of them lied about it. Why? The argument was that parents are teaching their children to lie -- maybe not explicitly, but they also aren't correcting them. When my children were young, I told them emphatically that I would never punish them for some misdeed if they told the truth about it. I was more interested in what their motivation was and how we might change that behavior going forward. So, my first reaction when my son sent a baseball through the front window was, "How did that happen?" When I observed a scratch across the top of my dresser, I called both of my children into the room and asked, "How did you do that?" The guilty one proceeded to tell me. I learned that in order to get to the truth, don't ask yes or no questions -- ask how, what, when, where, why and the truth will follow. They saw value in telling the truth and now they are reliable and trustworthy young adults. So, when I witness our politicians lie to us almost daily only to find out later that they in fact lied, I'm peaved. There is actually a name for it: "post-truth politics." Good grief!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 97

My pet peeve is people who say "uh" and "and uh" constantly.  What happened to good grammer?  Even TV anchors & reporters do it.  One guy I work with says it so it sounds like Anna.  I am constantly tempted to ask him just who this "Anna" is!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 97

I'm not sure that you completely understood my pet peeve.  Foglights are supplemental to regular headlights.  They began appearing 5-10 years ago I believe on Suburu Foresters & Outbacks and are now standard equipment for many newer vehicles, especially SUVs & trucks.  Most are simply another set of headlights located underneath standard headlights and are designed for enhanced lighting of the area from the front of a vehicle to fifty / hundred feet forward.  They are definitely a safety feature when properly used in conditions of limited visibility, but can easily blind on-coming traffic, bicyclists, pedestrians, etc. when mis-used in clear / good visibility.  As with bright lights, foglights have a specific use, but are not for everyday driving as unfortunately many seem to misunderstand.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 97

I dislike people who disrespect customer service people to the point of being abusive. An Indian proverb states that you should never criticize a person until you've walked a mile in his shoes. The customer is always right only applies if a person is the only customer; a customer is not always right. Customer service people have feelings and pays taxes like everyone else. The service person knows more about the job and the extent of his authority tan anyone else. The service person is somebody's child, spouse, or parent. I could go on and on, but there is limited space. Simply treat others as you would have them treat you. Treat them as you would like a family member to be treated. And remember, no one is always right and definitely not always wrong.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 97

@wilful  You are too kind but I'm afraid that discussion had run it's course!  Woman Happy

CH wants to keep discussions engagingly pleasant or pleasantly engaging...stray at your own peril!  Serious topics can sometimes be risky...as we all know!  Woman Frustrated

It's all good...the rules are applied with an even hand.  Good moderators are like the "iron fists in the velvet glove."  Woman Wink

Heart

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 97

People who type their messages in all caps, or don't use any punctuation.  I have to read these messages again to figure out where one sentence stops & the next begins, mentally inserting commas & apostrophes where I think they should be.

People driving while on their phone (or putting on makeup!).  Like a few others have posted, I walk a lot & have to be extra vigilant because drivers, usually the ones on their phones, just aren't paying attention.  We have a law prohibiting cell phone use while driving, but it is obviously not enforced.

Dirty dishes in the sink.  My sister is staying with me temporarily, (it's been over a year now!) & she's always putting her dishes in the sink to wash later... or more appropriately, for me to wash later because I can't stand to see them sitting there.

Doctors who won't take you seriously, or just shrug & say "I don't know what's wrong with you.  Here, try this medication." 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 97

Welll Prosecco - Am eyeballing my keyboard now and running permutations of "good" with 6 letters surrounding each key, and,  and - awwww - too much math and thinking required.. Suffice it to say - evil is in the eye of the beholder - - Or, something like that.

Ohhh - while I have your eye (NO - Not the evil one) - I for one - was not pleased to see the excellent, enlightening and entertaining dialectic between you and another great poster be suddenly terminated by Management.  Smiley Frustrated

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 97

So true. I run in my community and am very responsible in terms of my own safety. Jaywalking is RAMPANT along my course, especially by high school students who stroll out in the middle of a very busy road halfway between controlled intersections, where they can cross legally, as I do. Unfortunately for me, although I take care to run during daylight hours, when I can be seen, and cross at the light only on my walk signal, a driver looking to the left for traffic to be clear so he/she (USUALLY a 'she', I've notice) can turn right on red, I am fearful of crossing even on my walk signal. I have had at least two VERY close calls within the last two months where I was nearly run down. As you described, the motorist reacted, not apologetically, but angrily--as if I were the problem for having been in her path, preventing her quick right-on-red! For this reason, I think that turning right on red should NOT be an option at most intersections where a pedestrian could potentially cross. Too many motorists are looking out only for other vehicles, and have little concern for pedestrians like me, and you, who need to cross.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 97

@wilful wrote:
WOW!!

I just had the word "good" bleeped out!!

I suppose your next "pet peeve" is inappropriate "bleeping!"

(PS:  are you sure you typed the word "good?"  Woman LOL)

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 97

Yes I'm fed up with customer service people who are hard to understand. Obviously when they are interviewed the people are not listening to them. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22