Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Pet Peeves

Message 71 of 97

When people turn...they go slow as a snail...I turn if alot of room on road, I am turning too...I hardly put on brakes and turn in one motion...THE TURNING SLOW IS DANGEROUS TOO...

This is added one...people whom do not slow down for animals in the road and such...especially birds...''OH, THEY GET OUT OF THE WAY"..then why have I seen a duck (white kind, not Canadian), a Huge giant hawk...I cried on that one, U could see his long wing...up in the air...also chickens...TURTLES?...I saved a soon to be with babies still in her..long story...but happy ending...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 97

I have long tried to rid myself of saying "fixing to" from my Arkansas years.  Still, I cringe when my neighbor who was reared in NY says "Lookit."  

My other major "peeve" is poor grammar--the misuse of the objective case is so irritating--"He went to town with John and I" should be John and ME.  Take out John's name and you will know the correct pronoun to use.  In OK, "He done....";  He seen...." and in some cultures: he DO, he COME,  using "up" as in "John is UP in there" etc. when John is just IN THERE!

I especially cringe when they put our "famous" basketball/football players who supposedly are IN college or who actually graduated somehow (Mickey Mouse courses??)......  on TV and they appear so uneducated.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 97

Sorry.  I meant to say "asked politely" not "polites.  Mea culpa.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 97

Is no one else annoyed by people talking very loudly/using the speaker on their cell phones, especially in restaurants or in the store checkout line?  I really have no desire to overhear what I presume are private conversations. Not only is this annoying but these people generally don't pay attention to what's going on around them to the point where they cause a massive "traffic jam." And, they get mad if someone polites asks them to please finish paying for their purchases (or lower their voices so I can enjoy my meal in peace).   Whatever happened to common courtesy?  I know, I know, it went the way of the dodo bird!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 97
As far as talking with your mouth full, it bothers me that someone asks me a question while I am eating and expects me to answer immediately, even though my mouth is full! And I think people who throw their change into their pocketbook or cup holder while in a drive-thru may be trying not to hold up the person behind them in line which would happen if they stopped to take the time to put the change neatly away.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 97

@caroleenh - I hope that since you're here now, you can ask any questions you have, about how to do things the way the current website is .. and it won't seem quite so complicated! Most of the Singles Perspective regulars have been around for a long time, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 97
Lots of us dropped out because posting became complicated. Too many changes. I've run into other ex-members on facebook and they felt the same way. I used to check in every day.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 97

@Prosecco6247 - Your last post struck a nerve about 2 friends. One calls & NEVER identifies herself by name, which is doubly ironic because she's one of those Emily Post types. Since we only speak once a month, I'm sorry if I can't identify who it is, just by "Hello"! The other friend also calls in the evening, when I'd like to relax watching TV. Early on I answered the phone, and we talked for a little while, and then with it being 5 minutes before a show I really wanted to watch, I said I had to cut her off to watch the show .. and she said that I still had another 5 minutes to talk! I was so annoyed, I think I told her I needed a bathroom break, before the show started! Since my provider does caller ID on the TV screen, now I don't answer if I recognize her number, if I don't want to be interrupted!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 97

I thought of another one and this one really "gets my goat!"  (Isn't that a funny expression?)

I have a friend, another widow, who invariably calls me on Sunday evening when I have settled down with a glass of wine to enjoy "Masterpiece!"  She KNOWS what I'm doing and yet she feels free to interrupt with a casual call about nothing in particular!  

Sunday night is "me" time.  I enjoy the ritual of "winding down" from the week this way.  It's really the only night I watch a significant amount of television.

She'll call and say, "Whatcha doing?  Watching PBS?"  I used to pick up and squirm my way through a conversation, just waiting for the opening that would let me hang up the phone.  Ironically, I was the one who introduced her to Masterpiece via "Downton Abbey."  I loaned her my DVDs of past seasons so she could catch up with the storylines.  Even then, she'd call me during a show to discuss a certain character's dialogue or actions.

Annoying???  To the max!

I learned my lesson.  I just let it ring now.  Woman Frustrated

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 97

@Prosecco6247..Mimi, the "I have to go make groceries" is one I have not heard before. Kind of makes you giggle.

As for reading something that is incorrect as opposed to hearing someone say it incorrectly, I agree. When it's spoken, I cringe (if I happen to catch it). I talk back to the TV a lot! HA! Cat LOL

I think my whole funeral "thing" goes back to childhood. I guess they couldn't find anyone to stay with me so I was taken to the viewing of my dad. YIKES! At 9 years old I just silently freaked. I don't remember the funeral, but that viewing has stayed forever in my mind, and to this day I cannot go near an open casket. Now we have opted for the other way to go. N.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet