Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: One Is the Quirkiest Number; The Freedom, and Perils, of Living Alone

Message 11 of 16

Living alone can sometimes be preferred, when you need your space, want to do what you want to do when you want to do it.  LIke being able to sleep in until 10:30AM, what luxury.  Deciding to stay in your house for three days, while you, play internet games, listen to music from the 50's and 60's sing and dance without worrying about what anyone says about your weird dance moves.  Laugh at a TV show on a channel that no one you know watches.  Yep, it is not to be beat.  Until, you want to go out with someone of the opposite sex and find they have all 1) passed away; 2) moved in with children far away; 3) don't remember who you are.  Worse, you have not made any effort to look for any new friends to replace them.  

So, you get yourself moving, head out to work, (part-time, thank heaven) and begin working on the best way to make friends with eligible friends.  Spend more time outside then inside for awhile that will help at least get you out and about in areas that might just have some interesting people to engage in esoteric, literary, or wondeful conversation.  Yep, alone has perks, but it has some drawbacks as well, evenly balanced for the most part.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

I don’t think I have any real quirks due to living alone.  My diet is probably a lot worse because I dislike leftovers and don’t really enjoy cooking for just me.  I’m sure someone would analyze me with quite a few.  

The greatest peril for being alone is not having anyone to list on emergency documents or on beneficiary forms.  That rountinely makes me sad.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

It took me a while to adjust to living alone but now I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy the freedom to come and go as I please and to do whatever I choose whenever I choose. I'm also someone who enjoys solitude and am quite comfortable with my own company. I'm a social being and volunteer, take art lessons and have a loving family, many friends and a caring church community. Living alone is certainly not for everyone but it suits me just fine. I suppose the one drawback would be a life altering accident or illness but I'll find a way to deal with that if it should ever happen. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

@nyadrn, Hi!  I think my most committed quirk is "booby trapping" my home when I'm away.  My BIL pointed it out to me a few years ago when he was helping me move.

Without going into specifics, I can tell when anyone (apartment manager or?) has been in my space.

Another quirk would be my undying commitment to white linens and towels.  It drives people crazy when they visit.  When they comment about how White gets dirty faster, well...I just can't keep myself from reminding them that, no, white towels do not get dirty faster, they just don't lie to you.  Dirt is dirt and pretending that it's not there (dark colors) doesn't change it.  And, No, I don't consider myself a neat freak.  Unfortunately, I know (have experienced) what that looks like.

Fey Lady
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

Many of the posts in AARP about living alone point out the many scary or bad aspects of living alone.  This article does not pertain just to the elderly and it is kind of amusing.   

So do you have any quirks that you want to share?  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

One Is the Quirkiest Number; The Freedom, and Perils, of Living Alone

Message 16 of 16

From the article:  https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/garden/the-freedom-and-perils-of-living-alone.html

What are some examples?

“I’ve been known to drink Champagne in the shower at 8 a.m.,” Mr. Griffith said. “I’ll play Madden NFL Football for 10 hours straight, eat a French bread pizza for every meal of the day.”

But living alone is a skill that takes management, and Mr. Griffith has found he isn’t very good at it. The Days of Chad, he said, are about all he can handle.

“I literally have zero self-control,” he said. “If I lived alone and didn’t have somebody to monitor me, I’d be a fat, out-of-work alcoholic.”

An entertaining commentary on living alone. Smiley Very Happy

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies