Watch AARP’s Movies for Grownups awards show online! View the streaming video on PBS.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Nancy Reagan, an Influential and Protective First Lady, Dies at 94

Message 1 of 5

Nancy Reagan's funeral was yesterday with about a thousand in attendance.  It was pretty low-key and solemn...much moreso than one might have imagined.  Her daughter and son gave eulogies and there were waves of knowing laughter as they shared anecdotes with the mourners.  Diane Sawyer, Tom Brokaw, Brian Mulroney, James Baker were among the readers & eulogizers.  

Rain began to fall just as the ceremony ended and, as the crowd stood in line to pay their respects before a luncheon in the Air Force One Pavilion, the umbrellas came out.  The mourners came one by one.  They placed their hands on the casket and bowed their heads for a moment and the train of umbrellas moved on.  The peonies (her favorite flower,) arranged in a blanket and draping the casket, were refreshed by the raindrops as they stood their silent watch.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

I am / was not a fan of Nancy Reagan, she and her husband were both polaring figures within our African -American Community, The cuts in responsible Alternatives that were inclusive Constructive counseling and treatments programs that Would have dimished the effect of Crack and lowered the impact of HIV among African-American citizens. Her just say NO guise approach for treating a debilitating, addictive drug that was forcibly introduced to subject 10 of millions of  African-American Christians and their families are SINS. That require vengence according to the Lord on High. The affect on the Mentally Ill was beyond disgrace and we still have not been able to reason with Rank Republicans to elivate the problem.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I remember when she came up with JUST  SAY NO.  That seemed to bewilder those of us who needed to belabor a point and analyze everything to the nth degree.  In the end, I came to use her slogan.  Life becomes much simpler when one can see a situation that is not healthy and choose not to go there by  simply saying no.  Works for me!  And apparently it worked for her.  Simple clarity.  Thanks, Nancy.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5
I just remember she got the Beach Boys to play at the bicentennial in Washington. Some crazy right-wingers didn't want them there. Then she said " I like the Beach Boys". So they came and it was a great performance!.After that I liked her better.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Nancy Reagan, an Influential and Protective First Lady, Dies at 94

Message 5 of 5

"Nancy Reagan, the influential and stylish wife of the 40th president of the United States who unabashedly put Ronald Reagan at the center of her life but became a political figure in her own right, died on Sunday at her home in Los Angeles. She was 94.

The cause was congestive heart failure, according to a statement from Joanne Drake, a spokeswoman for Mrs. Reagan."

"Mrs. Reagan was a fierce guardian of her husband’s image, sometimes at the expense of her own, and during Mr. Reagan’s improbable climb from a Hollywood acting career to the governorship of California and ultimately the White House, she was a trusted adviser."

Read more here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/us/nancy-reagan-a-stylish-and-influential-first-lady-dies-at-94.ht...

I've placed this topic here because Nancy Reagan was one of us...single by widowhood.  The truth is she was single by virtue of President Reagan's Alzheimer's disease years before his actual death.  She lent a sense of grace and class in her roles as caregiver and grieving widow of a beloved President.

Whatever we think of Nancy Reagan as a person, she was always true to herself and her beliefs.  She was her husband's best advocate as well as her own.  President Obama said that Mrs. Reagan "redefined the role of First Lady."

I cannot say I was a fan of Mrs. Reagan's during her White House years but time and space have softened the memories and I understand more of the reasons behind her actions.  

I think she acquitted herself well in light of certain issues she faced during her husband's term of office.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Replies