Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Life Stages & Lifestyles

Message 21 of 35

I am part  of a forming senior cohousing group. Whereas I'm fine with living in my own home now, I know that seniors face isolation and loneliness as they grow older. My children live far away and may move elsewhere during the next several years, so I don't want to try to follow them. In the Placitas Sage cohousing group that we're planning, I'll have my own unit. But there will be a common house where our group will share meals and activities. We come to decisions by consensus. Ours is not a retirement facility with swimming pool and happy hour bistro. Those things are not on our list of priorities. Instead, we will focus on art, gardening, watching movies together and enjoying the New Mexico sky. Cohousing is a model that is gaining more attention for both intergenerational and senior living. I am looking forward to our project becoming a reality.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 35

we've lived in our home 36 yrs and it is paid for. We are not moving. Our 3 children all live near and our grandkids also. We have a yard and it is something we enjoy. The snow in Utah is a pain but it doesn't last forever

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 35

@Prosecco6247 wrote:

@nyadrn said "You have to go and look to really make determinations. Many will allow you to come and stay for a short time to check things out. Many people rent in these communities for some time to see how they like the lifestyle."

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I think the biggest problem is if you own a house/condo, it could be very imprudent to sell, and check out another location by renting there for 6 months to a year. What if you don't like it? It took me 3 years to find this place, and there are even fewer ranches available now! But to keep a house/condo you own, with all the operating costs & taxes, and pay for a rental at the same time, can be a very expensive "trial period"! When I rented a townhouse temporarily back in 2008/9, after my house in north Jersey had sold, but before I found a place on the shore, it cost $2K/month .. so I imagine rental rates are higher now!

The larger point to be made is to "try it before you make a decision."  Naturally, the longer it takes to decide, the more expense one is likely to incur.  

I remember reading about some of these places which allow visits or "mini-vacations" in order to give one a feel for the location...sort of like a flexible "timeshare." A series of long weekends might be enough for most people and could probably be worked out via "Vacation Rentals By Owner" (VRBO) or "HomeAway" or even "Air BnB."  

Many retired people travel a great deal and are not averse to renting out their extra space while they're away.  It's not for everyone but, astonishingly, more people are doing it than one would think.  Depending upon the space, it can be surprisingly comfortable and affordable.

Yes  rentals are becoming quite popular.  Older people are more active, doing more traveling than ever and looking for new alternatives.  btw  I believe VRBO was bought out by Air BnB or vice versa.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 35

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I think the biggest problem is if you own a house/condo, it could be very imprudent to sell, and check out another location by renting there for 6 months to a year. What if you don't like it? It took me 3 years to find this place, and there are even fewer ranches available now! But to keep a house/condo you own, with all the operating costs & taxes, and pay for a rental at the same time, can be a very expensive "trial period"! When I rented a townhouse temporarily back in 2008/9, after my house in north Jersey had sold, but before I found a place on the shore, it cost $2K/month .. so I imagine rental rates are higher now!

I have been looking at retirement options for a very long time in preparation.   I would suggest that before selling a permanent residence, a person try a three month snow bird rental in the area.  It would allow you to check out the area in detail.  If you could rule it out, you would still have your home to go back to.  If you decided you really liked it,  you take the time to evaluate and even go back if you wanted to.  Of course that does not work for everyone.  Some of the couples that I met and spoke to had sold their homes and were storing their furniture etc and renting consecutively in different communities.  

When I retire I will snow bird for the first season and then decide on what to do with my current condo. I might keep it and rent it out.  Rentals are sought after here by kids going to college.  They move on after graduation.  Definately not a perfect solution but it is  a thought.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 35

@nyadrn said "You have to go and look to really make determinations. Many will allow you to come and stay for a short time to check things out. Many people rent in these communities for some time to see how they like the lifestyle."

@ASTRAEA wrote:

The larger point to be made is to "try it before you make a decision."  Naturally, the longer it takes to decide, the more expense one is likely to incur.  

I remember reading about some of these places which allow visits or "mini-vacations" in order to give one a feel for the location...sort of like a flexible "timeshare." A series of long weekends might be enough for most people and could probably be worked out via "Vacation Rentals By Owner" (VRBO) or "HomeAway" or even "Air BnB."  

Many retired people travel a great deal and are not averse to renting out their extra space while they're away.  It's not for everyone but, astonishingly, more people are doing it than one would think.  Depending upon the space, it can be surprisingly comfortable and affordable.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 35

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 35

@ASTRAEA, I think your observation was the message that nyadrn was trying to convey after noting that she couldn't make corrections to the copy.

@nyadrn, I have had some problems with changing/editing today as well...I think it is a community problem and not just a "glitch" with this particular discussion.

Your message contains an excellent tip...trying out the lifestyle & location before making a commitment.  

My DIL's parents moved to an Atlanta suburb and rented in an "over 55" community for approximately 2 years while he was working in his last "pre-retirement" position.  They enjoyed the lifestyle and accessibility so much that they looked for a similar arrangement while they looked for a permanent home.  They are finding more and more to like about the choice they made.  He has recently taken a "leap of faith" and started a consulting firm, so the limited responsibility is a welcome component to their lives at this juncture.  (Like many of us, he found that he wasn't quite ready to make his "retirement" permanent.  She, OTOH, is enjoying it immensely! )  Woman Very Happy   

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 35

@nyadrn - That's very strange; I noticed that your response was like a "run on" to the original material too .. no space.

There was actually a discussion somewhere the past few days, about where all the singles have gone from Online Community. I went back thru my old records, and at one point there were about 600 members in "Singles Perspective", with several dozen of them active at any one time. Every time AARP "upgraded" the website, we seemed to lose functionality, and people just left or drifted away in frustration.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 35
Sorry but for some reason I cannot edit my post to this particular topic.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 35
‎01-17-2017 08:27 AM How long have you been living in your current home? Is it appropriate for your current single lifestyle? Would it be as convenient as you become an older retiree, as far as location, space requirements & layout? After a 30 year career & 3 years as a caregiver, by the mid-2000's I wanted to move to a more laid-back area on the shore. By that point, it was already more difficult finding ranch style homes, compared to when I house hunted the first time in the mid-1980s! I was an active 57 when I bought my current home, and loved the spacious open design & large windows. I love that it's on a quiet cul-de-sac, but hate that to get large rooms on a small lot, the garage had to be below the house, so there's a full flight of stairs inside .. and one outside that needs to be shoveled when it snows. Although I'm in a small town, there's no walkable shopping. So looking towards my 70s (maybe it's a "20-year itch"?), I'd like to be near a walkable downtown, and really all on one level. If they can build such efficient "tiny houses" in 500 sq ft, surely in another 10 years developers will be able to design efficient small houses in 1,000 sq ft, where people don't have to move into a mega & remote retirement developments! Registered on Online Community since 2007! You need some new participants here to give you more of a variety of info. You know because I have told you before that I live in a hi-rise condo building and love it. Close enough to take public transit to our major downtown area but removed enough to have a park and local downtown area here as well. Have looked at countless senior housing options and prefer the hi-rise or condo in a more urban setting but there are many great options in the senior communities and many many people love those as well. You have to go and look to really make determinations. Many will allow you to come and stay for a short time to check things out. Many people rent in these communities for some time to see how they like the lifestyle.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users