Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Life Stages & Lifestyles

Message 1 of 35

@nyadrn - That's one of my favorite websites, because it has floor plans for the different models at each community, and a good search engine to only look at communities that have the ammenities someone wants.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 35

@LogicsHere wrote:
Actually, no, I do NOT have requirements that would preclude all but the high end communities. I live very simply. I don't need swimming pools or exercise equipment (have my own). Could never afford to buy into a community at the $300K or higher that I've come across in my searches. Have yet to find anything reasonable. If you know of any such places that offer a "renting" situation, etc. I'd be curious to do some research on them as I haven't found anything that is affordable and I don't consider anything over $2000 a month at best affordable and even that's an outrageous cost.

If this is the case then go to https://www.55places.com. There are communities all over the country and they are definitely not all in the price range you are giving.  Which ones have you looked st?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 35

We truly love our home in the suburbs, we have a garden yearly, hobbies to keep us busy but truly the house is over 75 years old. We are people who moved to Kansas from Rhode Island and this is country living to us. Smiley Wink. I was raised in the country and I have been happy here for over 40 years but I really would rather be where it's really out in the county. County here to me is real country and my heaaart is always there, yet I am told now that we are to old to look for a mortgage to buy another home in the county, also, according to some we are to old to live far away from a doctor or hospital because of our age. Well we don't feel that way. But we are not in disagreement to stay with the home we have if need be to enjoy our lives till the end.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 35

For the moment, I have no particular reason not to stay. I do live in a beautiful wooded area of the Northeast, sparsely populated, unpolluted, yet still within reasonable reach of more urban activities.  I've been a "country" boy most of my life, and I honestly cannot imagine living in a concentrated community. Even though I'm now 70, I have no desire to live in a retirement community.  I've found that "communities" tend to impose deed and association restrictions on residents, and I bristle at that thought - you want to control my house, you pay for it. 

I do have winter - sometimes WINTER, but I'm still quite mobile and the snowblower takes care of the drivewaw, and I snowshoe and XC ski. Oppressively hot days during the summer are rare, and spring and autumn are wonderful times of the year and we have miles of cycling trails and back roads to explore.  My house does require mobility (stairs), so if I were unable to negotiate them, it would be decision time, but until then, you may keep Florida and Arizona - nice to visit, never want to live there.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 35
I couldn't even afford to buy in at $50,000 without risking my future financial security.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 35
Actually, no, I do NOT have requirements that would preclude all but the high end communities. I live very simply. I don't need swimming pools or exercise equipment (have my own). Could never afford to buy into a community at the $300K or higher that I've come across in my searches. Have yet to find anything reasonable. If you know of any such places that offer a "renting" situation, etc. I'd be curious to do some research on them as I haven't found anything that is affordable and I don't consider anything over $2000 a month at best affordable and even that's an outrageous cost.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 35

@LogicsHere wrote:
It is an interesting idea, provided they don't fall to the same side as the "retirement communities" where you are either required to buy in at $300K or more and/or pay $4000-$5000 a month. >>The only options that exist now are the high-end retirement communities ($4000 - 5000 a month); assisted living ($4000 - 15,000 a month) and the dreaded nursing home. So you either stay in your home until you pass or end up in a nursing home.

This is really not accurate.  There are retirement and active adult communities all over the country and there is a huge difference in housing style size and cost. In addition the older communities all have resales.  Costs are very variable.  I have  toured tons of them.  Perhaps you have requirements that would preclude all but the high end communities ?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 35

@LogicsHere wrote:

You don't have to get outside to walk.  There are dvd's to simulate walking outdoors and some people have treadmills.  I prefer the dvd's even during the summer when it gets too hot to go outside and the Florida Keys and Florida in general is way too hot for 10 months of the year at least.

No you don't have to go outside to walk but I definitely do not want to stay in all winter and walk indoors.  Everyone has their own list of requirements but the good news is there are as many options!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 35

@RonMesnard wrote:

The more time you spend learning location(s) you may want to retire the better your choice.  We have no reason to stay in our house.  It is larger and much colder than I would like.  It is in a very expensive area.  We could get a very nice place for what we could get for our old house.  I plan to retire in 3 years and my wife in 4 or 5 years.  We are vacationing in the Florida Keys this spring to see how we like it.  My parents retired there but things have changed. 

Because you can get out and excersise, if only just to walk, all year round keeps you much healthier. 

Do as much research as you possibly can. It is fun and cuts down on big bad surprises!  The Keys are nice to visit. Not sure how it would be to live there.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 35

Where I live is a good fit in many ways.  The first big benefit is that it's paid for after living here for a bit over 30 years.  It's too big for my needs and I wish I had followed my mother's caution about the stairs, but in those days I didn't think about getting old and being unable to run up and down stairs without a thought.  Now I rarely go upstairs.

Needless to say, with a 100 year old house, there's a lot of work that needs to be done, some of which I'll take care of and other things will be ignored.  That's a benefit of living alone.  

I decided to give up driving about a year ago for several reasons.  Now that I'm retired I was driving very little and I live in a convenient location where a cab generally runs around $5 to get to the doctor, etc.  I'm lucky that I have a friend who does grocery shopping for me once a month, which is working out rather well along with a co-op who delivers fresh organic veggies every 2 weeks.  

I wish I lived closer to family but most of my remaining family lives on the other side of the county.  All things considered, I have no plans to move.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.